Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Rangers SLOP FEST!!!

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
That's a spot on post, right there. Especially the part about the Rangers woes. Couldn't agree more. The biggest reason the Penguins even took that game is because the Rangers look like they are in complete disarray.

As for Malkin... this is the first I've heard of his hand possibly bugging him. I know he took a nasty crosscheck earlier in the season (against the Rangers, I think). But what's up with his hand?

On a side note... I was surprised at how many people had Malkin as a firm minus in this game. I didn't think he was that bad. Some poor work on the point... but hey... that wasn't his idea, ya know? He's even said in the past that he isn't comfortable, there.
you me and many others, mind boggling decision to move Malkin away from the spot where he is so dangerous and can use his lethal onetimer...

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That's a great point, yeah. I guess other options are pretty well non-existent.

I would say that I'd be more comfortable swapping Malkin and Crosby's current positions on the powerplay. But right now I'd have even less confidence in Sid, back there, considering how he's been playing. Which is to say not very good... for him.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Well with niskanen out and letang being letang, who do we put on the point?

this is what bugs me big time with Shero and Bylsma, they had 8 ********** months to figure that one out and they came up with James Neal, and no back-up plan:shakehead

does 66 even watch Pens, he must be seeing what we are seeing, he knows a thing or two about hockey?

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I saw them spraying his hand with (probably) Lidocaine in either the scrimmage or the first or second game of the year. He's not really been putting hard shots on net since then. Think he had one slap shot last night from the point, but there was very little pace on it.

Would also explain why his FO% has taken a nose dive ... he was at around 54% average for MMg.

Smacker

#LetsGoPens
Aug 15, 2012
+ Vokoun!
+ Despres, 1+1 and
what a goal!
+ Neal
+ Geno, 1+1
+ Penalty kill
+ Jeffrey, good game!

- Powerplay 1/5
- Kunitz

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That's not entirely true.

He's never been any good in the right circle. On the left side, he's pretty damned good.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
you me and many others, mind boggling decision to move Malkin away from the spot where he is so dangerous and can use his lethal onetimer...

Mind boggling? You know they'll do everything to favor Sid that they can.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If Letang was a legit PP QB or had a dangerous shot, I think Sid would feel a bit more comfortable at the point. But PKers know Letang's weaknesses and they'll pressure up high.

Get us a legit RHS on the left wall, move Sid up top and Geno on the right wall with Neal down low and a legit netfront presence and we're golden IMO.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
The thing is, Letang does have a dangerous shot. The problem with Letang is that he just doesn't ****ing use it. He has zero confidence in himself, and over-thinks/second guesses everything he does offensively most of the time, and it kills him.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The thing is, Letang does have a dangerous shot. The problem with Letang is that he just doesn't ****ing use it. He has zero confidence in himself, and over-thinks/second guesses everything he does offensively most of the time, and it kills him.

When was the last one-timer he put on net? I just don't think he can consistently do it which is why he hesitates and double clutches.

The sooner Morrow makes this team the better.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
When was the last one-timer he put on net? I just don't think he can consistently do it which is why he hesitates and double clutches.

The sooner Morrow makes this team the better.

Morrow just scored what was basically a power play goal. He drifted down towards the top of the circle and snapped a quick wrister under the bar.

Nice to see him getting time in those situations, since he wasn't earlier.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
He's never been good at face offs against the tougher competition in the NHL.

Historically, no. But last season he worked on it and wound up just under 50% for the season. Pretty big improvement, really. There was some interview or another where he talked about it, said he never put a lot of effort into the FO because he didn't like getting his wrists and hands whacked, but that he'd realized how important winning the draw was and so he worked on it.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
The only problem with Morrow is he's yet another lefty on a PP full of lefties. Where does Morrow go when he gets up here? Then there will be 4 players that all like to occupy the same general area of the ice.

We'll still need a righty to provide a onetime option on the left side of the ice.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The only problem with Morrow is he's yet another lefty on a PP full of lefties. Where does Morrow go when he gets up here? Then there will be 4 players that all like to occupy the same general area of the ice.

We'll still need a righty to provide a onetime option on the left side of the ice.

Put Malkin on the RHB, Letang on the LHB, Crosby behind the net/rover and Neal in front. Let Morrow QB the PP from the umbrella.

Morrow has a cannon, is a sick passer, doesn't hesitate and is a true presence on the PP teams will have to respect.

He doesn't **** around. The puck is literally off his stick in a heartbeat. He makes decisions before he gets the puck, unlike Captain Clutch.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Put Malkin on the RHB, Letang on the LHB, Crosby behind the net/rover and Neal in front. Let Morrow QB the PP from the umbrella.

Morrow has a cannon, is a sick passer, doesn't hesitate and is a true presence on the PP teams will have to respect.

He doesn't **** around. The puck is literally off his stick in a heartbeat. He makes decisions before he gets the puck, unlike Captain Clutch.

Would he make those decisions just as quick at the NHL level, and would HCDB give him the opportunity to work up to NHL speed if he didn't? That's the problem, imo.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

I'd only substitute Bennett for Letang. If we're going with the 4 forward set up in the future, there's no place for him with Morrow on the team.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Would he make those decisions just as quick at the NHL level, and would HCDB give him the opportunity to work up to NHL speed if he didn't? That's the problem, imo.

His offensive game is NHL ready. Having the kind of talent he will have around him on the PP, he will use everyone. If nothing is there he will gun the puck on net. He is VERY decisive.

I have no idea what DB will do, but I still maintain once he sees what Morrow can do for his PP, he will keep him there.

Morrow will instantly make it seem like the PP isn't being drawn up by mental midgets. Despres is a very good young blue liner, but he nor anyone else in the org can do what Morrow can.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'd only substitute Bennett for Letang. If we're going with the 4 forward set up in the future, there's no place for him with Morrow on the team.

Ya I would like to see that, but BB would have to rotate up high to hold the LP and I'm not comfortable with him on his heels defending a rush.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Letang isn't bad on the PP, and he's a righty... so there's absolutely zero chance he's off of it.

Remember last year when he was out? The PP was abysmal... and you can't spell Abysmal without Byslma.

I don't know where that last part came from or why I threw it in but I just noticed that and I may be drinking.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I am a Letang fan but he has been horrendous this season. The guy is better on the PP than he's played so far but I don't think the PP is his strength even when he's on his game. He is a great rover type, fantastic transition player and solid in his own end when he's on. He just hasn't looked like his normal self this season. I heard he and his lady had a kid not long ago. Maybe he was preoccupied / distracted with that during the lockout and is more rusty than some of the other players. Who knows...

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I am a Letang fan but he has been horrendous this season. The guy is better on the PP than he's played so far but I don't think the PP is his strength even when he's on his game. He is a great rover type, fantastic transition player and solid in his own end when he's on. He just hasn't looked like his normal self this season. I heard he and his lady had a kid not long ago. Maybe he was preoccupied / distracted with that during the lockout and is more rusty than some of the other players. Who knows...

So he's playing solid in his own end - something he at times struggled with last season - and you're saying he's off to a bad start? Based off what? Points? Sorry he's not helping your fantasy league. :dunno:

turd

Feb 1, 2013

It doesn't help that he literally waits until someone is in front of him before he shoots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad