Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Leafs - Armageddon at 2-1-0

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
that was a super clever comment. I wish I had made it like two hours ago :p:

edit: nice quick edit :laugh:

Meh, this is more about finding something to be mad at for the sake of it.

I don't want Malkin killing 5 on 3's. I'm already cringing when Sid is out there and I'm almost half hoping he breaks a foot blocking a shot so my point REALLY gets through.

You want your forwards in a groove? Stop taking stupid penalties.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Think what you want, but Kennedy is actually the best winger option on this team for that line.

You heard me right.

Maybe I lean Cooke a little, but it's hard to argue given the available options.

Thing is, saying TK is the best winger option for Geno's LW is like saying Dupuis is the best winger option for Sid's RW.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I don't want Malkin killing 5 on 3's. I'm already cringing when Sid is out there and I'm almost half hoping he breaks a foot blocking a shot so my point REALLY gets through.

Respectfully, I'll disagree on that one. In 6 minutes, you could've found a 30 second kill shift for Geno 5 on 4.

Even your buddy Therrien figured that out about Malkin.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Cooke to Geno's line, Tangradi to Vitale's line, Glass to Sutter's line. Go Pens.

Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis
Cooke-Malkin-Neal
Glass-Sutter-TK
Tangradi-Vitale-Adams

Word! Like this line-up plenty. Is it beyond DB to find the common sense to do it though.

Cspeirs4

Jan 26, 2011
I don't know if I watched the same game as some of you, holy moly. People are giving minuses and ragging on 87 and hardly any mention of how awful 71 played? Sure 87 made some questionable plays but I thought he played a decent game considering the circumstances. But 71 was absolutely terrible. Turnover machine and produced little offence. I guess some of you think because 71 is MVP and all that that he's immune to having a bad game. Yikes. Not to mention 71 had an assist on the JVR goal...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't know if I watched the same game as some of you, holy moly. People are giving minuses and ragging on 87 and hardly any mention of how awful 71 played? Sure 87 made some questionable plays but I thought he played a decent game considering the circumstances. But 71 was absolutely terrible. Turnover machine and produced little offence. I guess some of you think because 71 is MVP and all that that he's immune to having a bad game. Yikes.

Apparently, you didn't really read through this thread in its entirety, because I'm fairly certain that your 'unique' perspective on 87 and 71 was pretty much the consensus here.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Maybe I lean Cooke a little, but it's hard to argue given the available options.

Thing is, saying TK is the best winger option for Geno's LW is like saying Dupuis is the best winger option for Sid's RW.

No it's not :laugh:

Cspeirs4

Jan 26, 2011
Apparently, you didn't really read through this thread in its entirety, because I'm fairly certain that your 'unique' perspective on 87 and 71 was pretty much the consensus here.

I read the first 5 pages and that's the impression I got. I'll go re-read the other pages.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I said it's like, not the same. And, the way it's like is saying 'we've got a lot of ****** available choices, and this one is the least ******'. So, yes, it is. :p:

I know what you meant. I was just being a jackass. I guess I'd just say that Kennedy is a bad fit for Geno in terms of style and what that line needs. Duper is a good fit for Sid, in terms of style of play, he's just not ideal.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I know what you meant. I was just being a jackass. I guess I'd just say that Kennedy is a bad fit for Geno in terms of style and what that line needs. Duper is a good fit for Sid, in terms of style of play, he's just not ideal.

1. I see the angle you meant.

2. We really do need a 'Shady Machine jackass smilie', because the regular laugh smilie did throw me. :shakehead

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

I never even said he should kill penalties (even if I think he should in those sorts of rare occasions.) I just pointed to him sitting for an extended time being followed by him making a pretty big mistake. Which was exactly the point Jiggy was making; that even good players can have trouble when they don't have that consistency.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
1. I see the angle you meant.

2. We really do need a 'Shady Machine jackass smilie', because the regular laugh smilie did throw me. :shakehead

I really do wish there was a good "I'm being a jagoff" smile because I hate using the wink and tongue.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
We need to form some team chemistry. Set lines. I sure hope Shero will look to make moves sooner than later.

Honestly I don't even care, to be straight with you. All the options are pluggers, so move them how you will. The results will be the same in the end - Pens will need more skill in the top six.

Vitale would be a good stop gap on Malkin's line. His speed and tenacious forechecking would really help that line. He can also dish the puck much better than anyone in the bottom six outside of Sutter.

We are lucky DB keeps him in the lineup so, whatever. I'm sure we will see a steady dose of TK, Cooke and Glass rotating with the Malkin line. Jeffrey may get a shot, but I can't see him as a solution in the top six.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010

Well, that was kind of my point.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Honestly I don't even care, to be straight with you. All the options are pluggers, so move them how you will. The results will be the same in the end - Pens will need more skill in the top six.

Vitale would be a good stop gap on Malkin's line. His speed and tenacious forechecking would really help that line. He can also dish the puck much better than anyone in the bottom six outside of Sutter.

We are lucky DB keeps him in the lineup so, whatever. I'm sure we will see a steady dose of TK, Cooke and Glass rotating with the Malkin line. Jeffrey may get a shot, but I can't see him as a solution in the top six.

1. I did suggest that last night.

2. How dare you, of all people, refer to Joe Vitale as a stop gap. I thought you were a true believer, not some phony? You're worse than Burgundy. At least he doesn't try to hide his heretical beliefs.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Hard for me to get fired up about line combos. They'll all be switched up again by no later than the 3rd period of the next game.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Agreed. The need for a top 6 forward is much greater than people let on.

Hopefully they just roll Neal/Sid/Geno out quite a bit in the mean time. Give Sutter some opportunity with Kunitz/Dupuis/TK.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00