Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Leafs - Armageddon at 2-1-0

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think the 2nd line would be best with TK on it. I think the team would be best with TK on the 3rd line and Cooke on the 2nd.

I don't know that I agree with the former, but I do agree with the latter.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
1. I did suggest that last night.

2. How dare you, of all people, refer to Joe Vitale as a stop gap. I thought you were a true believer, not some phony? You're worse than Burgundy. At least he doesn't try to hide his heretical beliefs.

It was a moment of weakness because my daughter was playing Alvin and the chipmunks so my Insta-rage clouded my judgement. Forgive me, Joe... I know not what I say.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Respectfully, I'll disagree on that one. In 6 minutes, you could've found a 30 second kill shift for Geno 5 on 4.

Even your buddy Therrien figured that out about Malkin.

That's always been a philosophical thing with me.

If your PK is close to bottom 10, toss in your skill guys who have better hockey sense to make reads and create a more successful PK.

When you're consistently in the top 3 in the PK with your pawns, you keep it that way.

Too often I've seen guys like Zetterberg and Datsyuk, Parise and Kovalchuk after he started killing PK's in a big way, guys you rely on for offense, get wiped out by the time the season ended.

Sorry brother, but for me, putting someone to kill 30 seconds of penalty time isn't going to make a difference in how well he does the rest of the game.

I mean, he did win an MVP and scoring title last year without killing penalties. Sid's killed some penalties, and while he looked more engages last night, he still looks kinda awful.

zhenyas most fly rep

May 3, 2009
breizh
Meh, this is more about finding something to be mad at for the sake of it.

I don't want Malkin killing 5 on 3's. I'm already cringing when Sid is out there and I'm almost half hoping he breaks a foot blocking a shot so my point REALLY gets through.

You want your forwards in a groove? Stop taking stupid penalties.

Cooke got himself a nice 2 game streak of taking dumb penalties.
I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up the season with more PIMs than the last, in 20 or so less game and it won't be because of too much fighting..

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Agreed. The need for a top 6 forward is much greater than people let on.

Hopefully they just roll Neal/Sid/Geno out quite a bit in the mean time. Give Sutter some opportunity with Kunitz/Dupuis/TK.

One or two?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't know that I agree with the former, but I do agree with the latter.

I don't know that I do either, but its an argument I don't feel like having again. It was an attempt to have a TK discussion without people claiming I am a TK basher.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
That's always been a philosophical thing with me.

If your PK is close to bottom 10, toss in your skill guys who have better hockey sense to make reads and create a more successful PK.

When you're consistently in the top 3 in the PK with your pawns, you keep it that way.

Too often I've seen guys like Zetterberg and Datsyuk, Parise and Kovalchuk after he started killing PK's in a big way, guys you rely on for offense, get wiped out by the time the season ended.

Sorry brother, but for me, putting someone to kill 30 seconds of penalty time isn't going to make a difference in how well he does the rest of the game.

I mean, he did win an MVP and scoring title last year without killing penalties. Sid's killed some penalties, and while he looked more engages last night, he still looks kinda awful.

Sure.

I'm just saying you get Malkin at his best when you use him in all facets of the game.

That's a philosophical thing. Therrien gave him limited PK time. King and Maurice basically used him like a horse in all situations in Russia.

By contrast, Bylsma thinks there's no connect between how Geno is used and how he plays.

Maybe he's right . . . Malkin won a scoring title, a MVP, and looked like a two way train wreck again when the playoffs came.

You know, I remember the story from his second or third game in Russia. Maurice benched him for the third because he didn't like how Malkin was playing defense.

All the bad habits, the sloppiness defensively that has defined Malkin's game . . . Maurice beat it out of him. Made him get his defensive house in order. He did, and then the scoring breakout started.

I wondered going into the season how long Bylmsa would need to beat that renewed commitment to two way play out of him. Jury is out on that one . . .

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Agreed. The need for a top 6 forward is much greater than people let on.

Hopefully they just roll Neal/Sid/Geno out quite a bit in the mean time. Give Sutter some opportunity with Kunitz/Dupuis/TK.

I'm so indifferent that it doesn't matter.

Tanner Glass with a career high 11 points with the NHL's reigning scoring leader... Sweet.

The chest sniper... Sweet.

Cooke... Sweet.

Jeffrey... Sweet.

Seriously, who cares?

None of them are the answer. Why even try to sort through the mess and wonder which plugger will hold back the Malkin line less than the other?

Maybe DB will realize Vitale can actually pass the puck well and maybe forget he isn't a grizzled coal miner.

Maybe Alvin and the Chipmunks will self combust.

Cspeirs4

Jan 26, 2011
More mention of 71's struggles but still more hate towards 87's game. Doesn't make sense personally but hey that's just my worthless opinion :loony:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm so indifferent that it doesn't matter.

Tanner Glass with a career high 11 points with the NHL's reigning scoring leader... Sweet.

The chest sniper... Sweet.

Cooke... Sweet.

Jeffrey... Sweet.

Seriously, who cares?

None of them are the answer. Why even try to sort through the mess and wonder which plugger will hold back the Malkin line less than the other?

Maybe DB will realize Vitale can actually pass the puck well and maybe forget he isn't a grizzled coal miner.

Maybe Alvin and the Chipmunks will self combust.

Too late. Your reference to Joe Vitale as a 'stop gap' has been caught and brought to the attention of the appropriate authorities in the appropriate thread.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I don't know that I do either, but its an argument I don't feel like having again. It was an attempt to have a TK discussion without people claiming I am a TK basher.

Don't bother apologizing. He isn't the answer.

It's been obvious for like... Three years?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
More mention of 71's struggles but still more hate towards 87's game. Doesn't make sense personally but hey that's just my worthless opinion :loony:

I didn't catch that, unless any post about Sid's erratic passing constitutes hate.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Too late. Your reference to Joe Vitale as a 'stop gap' has been caught and brought to the attention of the appropriate authorities in the appropriate thread.

I will make amends and seek my due justice on Alvin and his squealing accomplices....

Myzie19

Sep 26, 2011
Hey guys,
Jets fan here. Just wanted to know what the general consensus was on the Tanner Glass signing in the off-season. Personally, I'm a bit upset the Jets didn't bring him back, but nobody on the Jets board agrees with me. I love watching the Penguins and I have seen 2/3 games so far and I thought he's looked decent with your team. What do you guys think?

Cardboard Orpik

Out 4-6 Weeks
Jun 18, 2011
Hey guys,
Jets fan here. Just wanted to know what the general consensus was on the Tanner Glass signing in the off-season. Personally, I'm a bit upset the Jets didn't bring him back, but nobody on the Jets board agrees with me. I love watching the Penguins and I have seen 2/3 games so far and I thought he's looked decent with your team. What do you guys think?

He's shown some spirit and has been pretty good. I think he's a great bottom 6 acquisition.

Myzie19

Sep 26, 2011
He's shown some spirit and has been pretty good. I think he's a great bottom 6 acquisition.

What is your opinion of him on the penalty kill? A lot of Jets fans turn to "advance statistics" to point out that he was not a successful penalty killer. I think it had more to do with our pk system which was bottom of the league.

sexyllama

May 18, 2010
DB loves Glass so much he's double-shifting him. Guessing Vitale is supposed to be on that 4th line instead of Glass redux.

Very disappointed to see that Jeffrey isn't going to get a shot on the 2nd line if they're going to make a change. Makes me wonder where he fits in their plans, if he does at all.

Jeffrey is getting the same shot that Tangradi is getting. None. Who cares what line they are on look at there Ice Time and re-watch the games... Tangradi gets to go about every 4th shift.

For every good thing DB does... he then just stuns you with odd logic.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
What is your opinion of him on the penalty kill? A lot of Jets fans turn to "advance statistics" to point out that he was not a successful penalty killer. I think it had more to do with our pk system which was bottom of the league.
I don't think most of us knew he killed penalties before he got here until recently. He's been solid so far in that area.

Myzie19

Sep 26, 2011
I am excited to see him back in WPG tomorrow night and glad he has had a good start to the season. Good luck tomorrow night guys and thanks for responding!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad