Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Jets - How to play Defense 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
He follows the x's and o's (which I bet Bylsma loves) and doesn't bother to watch the play or his man so he's always 2 steps further away from the puck than he should be. He shouldn't be in the NHL, though he'd probably dominate the AHL physically.

Adams has been so incredibly bad that poor Glass (version 0.5) has been lost in the shuffle. Shameful is that of Roots for showing not one, but two Tanner Glass highlights during the game. One of which was simply that of Glass more or less laying a check into a pane of glass (no pun intended).

T*N*R G*L*S, you are not forgotten.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
If I need a calculator for it, then I don't like it. ;)

I like to judge things with my eyes and then either confirm my opinion or be pushed to challenge that opinion with advanced stats.

Conventional/counting stats fail, in my eyes, because of lack of context. Opposition - both on the macro and micro levels (opposing team, opposing lines) - score, time left, etc... are all important in understanding the counting stats.

AND!!! You don't need the calculator, they do the work for you!

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
We would be better and no, you are right, Shero isn't going to do it. The way he and Bylsma obviously pulled for Orpik for team USA says enough about that.

I understand that, but I can make an argument that Orpik should be on the US Olympic team regardless, and his chemistry/familiarity with Martin is a bonus. As one of 8 Dmen, I think having Orpik there is not without merit. We know from the Bobby Ryan situation that one or sometimes two people's input is not enough to have a player make the team. I wouldn't necessarily pick Orpik if only 6 guys were going, but if 8 guys are going, yeah, there are legit reasons for him to be there -- including Martin's merit of being there, and Orpik's chemistry with him.

That all said, I would hope that Orpik's selection to the tourney, and if he performs well there (or at least stays healthy between now and for the duration of the tourney), would only improve Orpik's value on the trade market. Again, I don't believe Shero has the balls to do this, but it could increase his value should he decide to ahead and do this. If I, personally, was Shero, I would both recommend Orpik's selection to the USA team, AND trade him afterwards. Unfortunately, I'm not Ray Shero ;)

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Hockey stats, moreso than baseball or basketball, or to a lesser extent football, can be greatly skewered by teammates play. I love advansed stats but IMO it is harder to quantify the validity of them with individual hockey players. Its easier to use them to decide whether a particular line or matchup is functioning correctly.

Sometimes you have to watch the games to see a players true value or lack thereof. That sick pass that goes through the crease only to have two forwards whiff on it isnt going to show up on a statline... Simularly the player that fires a pass too hard and a bit to far behind a streaking player so that it ricochets to the other team for a breakaway on goal, then hops over the boards before they score gets little statistical penalties, even though they were the driving factor if the other team scores. the guy who fails to clear multiple times, but is saved when the offense shoots the puck over the glass... so many scenerios that you have to watch to see...

Uncle Machete

Apr 6, 2004
Mexico City
I understand that, but I can make an argument that Orpik should be on the US Olympic team regardless, and his chemistry/familiarity with Martin is a bonus. As one of 8 Dmen, I think having Orpik there is not without merit. We know from the Bobby Ryan situation that one or sometimes two people's input is not enough to have a player make the team. I wouldn't necessarily pick Orpik if only 6 guys were going, but if 8 guys are going, yeah, there are legit reasons for him to be there -- including Martin's merit of being there, and Orpik's chemistry with him.

That all said, I would hope that Orpik's selection to the tourney, and if he performs well there (or at least stays healthy between now and for the duration of the tourney), would only improve Orpik's value on the trade market. Again, I don't believe Shero has the balls to do this, but it could increase his value should he decide to ahead and do this. If I, personally, was Shero, I would both recommend Orpik's selection to the USA team, AND trade him afterwards. Unfortunately, I'm not Ray Shero ;)

I still don't see how Orpik's inclusion in the olympic team affects his eventual contract negotiations with the Pens. We already know they like him, as most people do, but Team USA doesn't have to worry about salary caps or developing players.

There's still a possibility of him re-signing since we only have six D for next year (Martin, Letang, Scuderi, Bortuzzo, Maatta with Despres as RFA) and we're going to need more than that. Not that I'm advocating it.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I still don't see how Orpik's inclusion in the olympic team affects his eventual contract negotiations with the Pens. We already know they like him, as most people do, but Team USA doesn't have to worry about salary caps or developing players.

There's still a possibility of him re-signing since we only have six D for next year (Martin, Letang, Scuderi, Bortuzzo, Maatta with Despres as RFA) and we're going to need more than that. Not that I'm advocating it.

Well there's about a million D in Wilkes Barre knocking on the door. How about we give one of them a shot? If Bylsma wasn't the coach, I'd re-sign Engelland to be the 7th dman if he were down for that. The point is, we have plenty of options without re-signing Orpik. Unfortunately, I think there's a decent chance one of Orpik/Nisky are re-signed.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
What does that mean?

When Tanner Glass was out on the ice (AT ANY TIME), the Pens were unable to register at least a single SOG...hence the 0% CF. It is a rare feat to say the least. It probably happens at the same rate as scoring a goal 5 different ways. It is epicly horrible and indicative of the man crush that Bylsma has for these Michael Boltons (ie no talent ass clowns) on our 4th line. It was basically a PK when Glass was on the ice 5v5.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
When Tanner Glass was out on the ice (AT ANY TIME), the Pens were unable to register at least a single SOG...hence the 0% CF. It is a rare feat to say the least. It probably happens at the same rate as scoring a goal 5 different ways. It is epicly horrible and indicative of the man crush that Bylsma has for these Michael Boltons (ie no talent ass clowns) on our 4th line. It was basically a PK when Glass was on the ice 5v5.

Say what you will about the Adamses and Glasses of the world, but Michael Bolton is certainly talented. His music is awful, but it's not for lack of singing ability :laugh:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Why did Bylsma send the beautiful Despregesaus to the glue factory? :(

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Why did Bylsma send the beautiful Despregesaus to the glue factory? :(

He just has Steel Bars rapped all around him

michael_bolton_honda_hed_2013.jpg

wolffy66

Dec 16, 2009
In Bylsma's defense, and I haven't checked the numbers here, but I'm pretty sure Orpik only had a 4 shifts. Each one happened to be around 5 minutes long. That's just going off my memory of the events.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad