Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Jets - Adams >>> Tangradi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
You know what's crazy? Geno and Sid haven't found their game and they are still 1-2 in assists. Sid is even second in overall scoring and even if he doesn't pick it up, could very well end up winning the scoring title. That alone makes me very optimistic. If they can pick it up (or have some help), we can go far.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
it was more than hustle, had was making good plays, had a few good looks at the net, and made a few nice passes.

Tangradi made comments similar to Brian Strait - felt like he was unable to just play hockey, afraid to make any mistakes, etc... Now, let's see if Tangradi can do this for more than just 1 game, but it's definitely worth keeping any eye on moving forward.

This is what I don't get though. Brain Strait actually had a legitimate complaint because he barely got a look on the ice due to a D logjam.

Tangradi had his chances and just didn't do much. Maybe that's because of nerves or pressure (and I said as much in a few threads), and I could understand if the Pens were trying to pigeonhole him into a role he didn't fit (grinder/big body PF instead of just a big, finesse player), but the way he played last night was EXACTLY the way we wanted him to play here. Going hard into boards, mucking it up some, finishing checks.

It's like he's saying he didn't have the chance to play gritty hockey, but that's ALL we wanted him to do. Could you imagine if Tangradi would've jabbed a defenseman after breaking out the puck like he did to Tanger? He would've been a saint.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
This is what I don't get though. Brain Strait actually had a legitimate complaint because he barely got a look on the ice due to a D logjam.

Tangradi had his chances and just didn't do much. Maybe that's because of nerves or pressure (and I said as much in a few threads), and I could understand if the Pens were trying to pigeonhole him into a role he didn't fit (grinder/big body PF instead of just a big, finesse player), but the way he played last night was EXACTLY the way we wanted him to play here. Going hard into boards, mucking it up some, finishing checks.

It's like he's saying he didn't have the chance to play gritty hockey, but that's ALL we wanted him to do. Could you imagine if Tangradi would've jabbed a defenseman after breaking out the puck like he did to Tanger? He would've been a saint.

MrB needs to post the time logs, but Tangradi never got a real chance. I mean, he did get 4 games or whatever this year, but I don't think a real chance, for him, should have been 12 ES minutes per game on the 2nd line. Look at where he was last night: the 3rd line. And he seemed to thrive.

Now, this is a ridiculously small sample. Let's see what happens the rest of the year. But if he continues to play like he did last night, I think we all need to warm up to accepting the possibility that the Pens organization may not handle prospects well.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
- When Tangradi put Despres through the glass I remember wishing that was DB. It shouldn't matter where your number is called in a draft. If your coach doesn't believe in you, it makes it really hard to believe in yourself. Kadri as I keep saying is a perfect example of that. Under RW he played limited minutes, looked like a bust and kept getting benched/sent down. Under RC he is being fed minutes, allowed the freedom to make mistakes, is leading his team in points and playing a physical, inspired brand of hockey.

But...Kadri was drafted 7th overall.

I don't believe DB hands out icetime based on draft status...it seems totally contrary to his philosophy. As I think we're finding out, DB defers to proven vets over young players unless those young players are genuinely talented enough to justify the gaffes by being a net positive in short order, a la Bennett and Despres.

If they project to be complementary or meat-and-potato guys, they have to consistently prove themselves capable of playing effective, responsible hockey in limited roles if they want a shot at cracking the roster. And even then nothing is guaranteed.

Wouldn't put too much stock in the first game a player plays against his former team, either. Lots of adrenaline. Let's see how Tango does over the long haul.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
MrB needs to post the time logs, but Tangradi never got a real chance. I mean, he did get 4 games or whatever this year, but I don't think a real chance, for him, should have been 12 ES minutes per game on the 2nd line. Look at where he was last night: the 3rd line. And he seemed to thrive.

Now, this is a ridiculously small sample. Let's see what happens the rest of the year. But if he continues to play like he did last night, I think we all need to warm up to accepting the possibility that the Pens organization may not handle prospects well.

That's true, but you also have to look at it as the Pens didn't really have a spot for him in the bottom-6. I definitely agree he didn't get much of a fair shot here, but even in his time, it's not like was just getting bad breaks, he just looked out of place.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
That's the best game you'll see from Tangradi, you can mark that down. As far as getting a chance here, jesus what do you guys want. He got plenty of playing time and showed zero. Not zero production, he showed the coaches virtually nothing at all.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
That's true, but you also have to look at it as the Pens didn't really have a spot for him in the bottom-6. I definitely agree he didn't get much of a fair shot here, but even in his time, it's not like was just getting bad breaks, he just looked out of place.

Yea, overall I agree. But the Tangradi from last night... I'd prefer him over this year's Tyler Kennedy or Matt Cooke. And no, please, before the sarcasm brigade gives me crap, I'm not saying he should have been kept over them.

But something on the 3rd-line needs to change, and you can't find out if you have those replacements in the organization if you never bench the Chest Sniper.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I dream of a day when we no longer talk about our 3rd line / don't notice it because it's so steady and reliable... the 2013 Paul Martin of 3rd lines. Arguing about people as insignificant as Tyler Kennedy or Tangradi, is proven to cause hair loss. And those bozos are not worth one lost hair.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
+ HF Jet's fans.

Really refreshing to go to opposing teams board and actually read what they think about their own team. Which is the perspective I want to read about when going to another teams board. Usually when you go to the opposition board it is non stop Pen's bashing in their GDT. The Jets fans don't buy into the whole Pen's "league conspiracy" to ref the game to specifically aid the Penguins. Very level headed, emotionally mature, knowledgeable fans. I didn't expect that here on HF to that extent.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania

In short, he didn't get to DB's game.

Still hoping he catches on in WPG, though.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
+ HF Jet's fans.

Really refreshing to go to opposing teams board and actually read what they think about their own team. Which is the perspective I want to read about when going to another teams board. Usually when you go to the opposition board it is non stop Pen's bashing in their GDT. The Jets fans don't buy into the whole Pen's "league conspiracy" to ref the game to specifically aid the Penguins. Very level headed, emotionally mature, knowledgeable fans. I didn't expect that here on HF to that extent.

Jets fans are great, on here and at MTS. THey make the game more fun, even watching it on TV as an opposing fan. They are the exact reason why you want that team there and not in ATL (and the reason you want the Panthers in Ontario). PHX is a different ball of wax, as their problem is less an absence of passionate fans than crappy ownership / location, etc.

Ultimately though Much better to "grow the league" in passionate, small markets vs. indifferent large ones.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I dream of a day when we no longer talk about our 3rd line / don't notice it because it's so steady and reliable... the 2013 Paul Martin of 3rd lines. Arguing about people as insignificant as Tyler Kennedy or Tangradi, is proven to cause hair loss. And those bozos are not worth one lost hair.

But it's definitely an issue right now. If the Pens don't get production from their top-2 lines or the PP, they aren't getting scoring.

Yes, I'm saying this in the PGT for a game in which Craig Adams scored 2 goals. Whatever. Overall point is the same.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The frustrating thing again about Tangradi is that even when he played well last night, it was not consistent. Watch the tape, outside of the 4 hits he had in the 1st, ET was again, pretty much a non factor for a solid chunk of the game. And for me, who wanted him to become that newer version of Kevin Stevens, it's really problematic. I'm feeling less and less conflicted about the trade the more I think about last night's game. I still wish he worked out, but I'm entirely at peace with him going out west. He's someone else's problem now.

Also, it is super fun trolling you guys. Especially given how much self-hating "I want us to lose to prove a point" ****posting is going on here.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
+ HF Jet's fans.

Also agreed. It's nice to see them get their team back, though I really don't think we should relocate franchises. That's just cruel.

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
I was extremely bored of watching this game.

-Ugly win in an otherwise boring snooze fest of a game.

+Ugly win in an otherwise boring snooze fest of a game.

-Realizing I could have copy and pasted the above sentence and just take out the - for a +. lol

+James Neal with his league leading 7th PPG.. btw 10 of his 11 goals have Crosby and/or Malkin behind them. Most of his goals in Dallas (sophomore and third year) he was a product of leeching off of B. Richards. Now he's leeching of our guys. I know he was brought in as a compliment winger who could play with a bit of an edge, but I would love to see him develop into the kind of guy who generates his own offence without the aid of those two. Never know, we could have a repeat of 10/11, not that we want to relive that. By that, I mean losing our two big super powers for lengthy periods of time. Having said all of that, I love his shot... and he sure finds the best places to park his body. He's definitely got a goal scorer's mentality. We may have our third 50 goal scoring Penguin in the last 5 years in him. That's pretty crazy.

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
WPG 11/12
Home goal margin +22, record 23–13–5; Away -43, record 14–22–5

ATL 10/11
Home goal margin -13, record 17-17-7; Away +31, record 17-19-5

They're still a young team with some ways to go, but they're instantly super tough to play against at home 100% solely due to the home town support. It was a fantastic move to put them back in Winnipeg. They used to be pushovers in their own building in ATL.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
The frustrating thing again about Tangradi is that even when he played well last night, it was not consistent. Watch the tape, outside of the 4 hits he had in the 1st, ET was again, pretty much a non factor for a solid chunk of the game. And for me, who wanted him to become that newer version of Kevin Stevens, it's really problematic. I'm feeling less and less conflicted about the trade the more I think about last night's game. I still wish he worked out, but I'm entirely at peace with him going out west. He's someone else's problem now.

Also, it is super fun trolling you guys. Especially given how much self-hating "I want us to lose to prove a point" ****posting is going on here.

Seriously.

The people saying yesterday that they wish Tangradi goes off on us... wtf? :shakehead

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
WPG 11/12
Home goal margin +22, record 23–13–5; Away -43, record 14–22–5

ATL 10/11
Home goal margin -13, record 17-17-7; Away +31, record 17-19-5

They're still a young team with some ways to go, but they're instantly super tough to play against at home 100% solely due to the home town support. It was a fantastic move to put them back in Winnipeg. They used to be pushovers in their own building in ATL.

Yep and this guy has 4 seats together in the upper bowl. eeeeeeee Love going to Jets games. It's deafening. I love the Penguins as much as my Jets, but it is really crazy the difference between our two city's packed buildings. You guys are quiet as mice and we're loud and rowdy. btw We were the original house of white when we made the playoffs with the former Jets, now Coyotes franchise. So no going, oh it's just a flavour of the month thing. Winnipeg hockey fans are just nuts... We have nothing else to cheer about in our eerily cold Winter months. Maybe the fact we have no mosquitoes. Maybe a reach, but that's one thing I love about our up to -40 C Winter days. Those critters are no where to be seen. :help:

When some of you guys attend the Penguins games, you should get the fans going... who cares if you look goofy... my group did it all the time when we had our AHL team. Sadly, Winnipeg didn't accept the AHL as well as they do the NHL. I love my hockey regardless of what level it is.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
But...Kadri was drafted 7th overall.

I've gone over this dozens of times: if high end talented kids like Schenn/Kadri, etc need steady minutes to prove themselves, how the hell do people expect less talented players like Tangradi to reach his potential getting three shifts a period, on a good night?

Last season Tangradi earned fourth line minutes and DB gave his time to waiver wire fodder. This season he gave him a half assed chance in the top six, then gave a guy like Boychuk a legit chance. Sorry bro, but that is some BS. Boychuk has blown way more opportunities than Tangradi.

Boychuk did jack **** to earn the chance he got. Tangradi changed his game and did all the org asked of him, then he and Jeffrey get screwed over.

As I said, people are entitled to their opinion and my opinion is I don't care for it, or the message being sent.

I don't believe DB hands out icetime based on draft status...it seems totally contrary to his philosophy. As I think we're finding out, DB defers to proven vets over young players unless those young players are genuinely talented enough to justify the gaffes by being a net positive in short order, a la Bennett and Despres.

Bort is on the bench and Engo is the guy who should be there. I'm a big Engo fan, but I don't make excuses for guys who are playing poorly.

Despres minutes have been cut severely and BB is only in the lineup because DB has run out of options. Let's not pretend like he cut/benched a vet so BB could get a chance.

I suspect BB will succeed because of his talent/lack of any options left, more so than DB being patient with him.

If they project to be complementary or meat-and-potato guys, they have to consistently prove themselves capable of playing effective, responsible hockey in limited roles if they want a shot at cracking the roster. And even then nothing is guaranteed.

Wouldn't put too much stock in the first game a player plays against his former team, either. Lots of adrenaline. Let's see how Tango does over the long haul.

Vitale is a meat and potatoes guy that would of never made this roster if Crosby was hurt. I am 100% sure DB doesn't cut a vet for him last season. Vitale would of never made it through the waiver wire, just like Strait. Where would this team be without a meat and potatoes guy like him?

Even though he busts his ass and works harder than every player on the ice, he still gets benched. How many times have people said "if Vitale gets benched again...." And it still happens.

The irony in all of this is Boychuk should of gotten TK's minutes last night, but DB won't bench his vets.

It's just funny how many of us have called out DB for this and now we have Tangradi and Strait echoing the same thing, but they are just cry babies.

Right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad