Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Jets - Adams >>> Tangradi

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Plus

+ Marc-andre Fleury: One of his best games in a year, right? We EASILY could have lost this game by a wide margin. We were under attack all game long just backing off and #29 saved the day. He was very athletic tonight and sometimes that can get him in trouble. I wish he'd cover the puck just a little more to frustrate the opposition, but I can't nitpick. He was tremendous. Best Penguin tonight.

+ Joe Vitale & HIS 4th line: Second straight game as a plus. Good for Joe Victory. I think that 4th line is really clicking and does wonders for this team. Good job by Adams to polish it off (barely). HSL can tell you how much better he played than Tangradi... :laugh: 4th line won us this game with 2 goals and a drawn penalty that lead to another.

+ Beau Bennett: Made the best of his first game tonight. He was good defensively and showed offensively what type of talent he has. It's something our wingers have missed for awhile. He was nervous early and missed two passes, but then was tremendous. He's going to be one hell of a hockey player. That type of showing is all we were probably asking for of Tangradi. Just a flash or two.

+ Coming together: Stuff like what Adams and Engo did tonight really speaks volume in the locker room. When teammates have your back, it does a lot. You can trust your guys always have you when you need.

+ Sacrifice: A few defensive sacrifices really helped us out. Guys like Bennett, Malkin, & Sutter made some fantastic diving plays to clear the puck. That is what we need when the postseason comes around.

+ James Neal: He just scores goals. No biggie.

+ Handshakeline: This is one of those GDTs I'll remember for awhile due to some of the best homer trolling I've seen in some time. :laugh:

And ironically... the screen name came to be after the infamous hand shake line of Detroit/Pittsburgh in 09. :laugh:

Even

Letang: He shows signs of brilliance and then when he gets hit over and over again, he starts making mistakes and getting caught up in emotions. Kris... they are attacking you for a reason. He's one hell of a player and has to just deal with it and continue playing in beast mode. He gets caught up then makes way too many mistakes.

He can be quite stupid at times to say the least.

Minus

- Watching the play/effort: We struggle against teams who trap us on set breakouts, then apply pressure when they finally get in the zone off transition. This was the exact same game as the Devils last weekend. They would trap us every single time we got set breakouts and then attack like hell when they get a chance. IF you turned this game on and watched it side-by-side w/ the Devils, you would be shocked with how similar it is. Jets did some scouting big time. The only difference is that the Jets couldn't convert as well as the Devils.

It's a bit concerning to see how much we struggle against that style of play. Offenses sustain mass pressure on us all game. That shouldn't be happening on a regular basis.

- The Bort Theory: I feel when Bort/Engo aren't paired together, we lose some very crucial toughness in the lineup. I love Niskanen, but that pairing is needed badly. I feel tonight they could have really added something we needed.

- Support: It was better and you can tell DB worked on it at practice, but it's still MILES away from what we need. We just don't support the puck like we should. When we did, we got offensive chances off 4-6 foot chips/passes. But then we went right back to just standing around watching and not skating to the puck carrier.

I wish I could remember the two plays where we supported really well, but I'll have to go back and watch the first period. It sprung us TWICE for scoring chances. Where the hell does it go? And why?

Another classic example was when we had our 5 on 3, granted we scored. We stood around watching ONE GUY move the puck in and actually got outnumbered on a 5 on 3. That's ****ing impossible. Such a joke.

- Activate the defense: Our defense backs off at the blue line everytime. I don't even hear F3 anymore. We need our F3 to come back and let our defense jump in to keep offensive zone pressure. Transition is just killing us right now because we cannot sustain pressure. We need our defense to pinch in with backtracking defenders and a F3.

- Tyler Kennedy: Since getting his 2M a year deal, he's a different player. And a ****** one at that. He couldn't win a battle or do anything to save his life.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Although Bennett had a really good game (considering that he's nervous and all), I'd still be hesitant about our roster going into the Playoffs without 1 more top6 winger (and preferably some size on the their bottom6).

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Craig Adams had more goals in this game than Eric Tangradi has had in his entire NHL career.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Losing the shutout hurts the win feeling a little.

That 4th line shouldn't be touched. Ever again.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I'll go nuts if I spend time on this today, so just this:

+ MAF was awesome. Nothing short of awesome and the only reason we win this.
+ Vitale is always awesome.
+ Adams has to be mentioned when he gets two goals :). Strong effort in general.
+ Neal's shot. What would we do without it?
+ That interference call late in the third. BS penalty, but who knows if we win without it. Would have been livid if it had been the other way around.

I have nothing further. Absolutely hated our game tonight other than the first 15 minutes or so.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Craig Adams had more goals in this game than Eric Tangradi has had in his entire NHL career.

tumblr_li0q1zVMeH1qfv9te.jpg

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
- To those who joked about MAF not getting the SO and laughing about it after the goal. It's one thing to not like a player, but to want him to fail and laugh about it is ****ing lame.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Stat of the night: The only Penguin with less than 10 minutes of ice time . . . Joe Vitale.

Other stat of the night: Top seven Penguins forward TOI . . .

Crosby - 21:07
Kunitz - 19:29
Malkin - 19:00 (surely a coincidence)
Dupuis - 17:01
Neal - 15:45 (WTF #1)
Sutter - 14:31
Kennedy - 13:47 (WTF #2)

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Losing the shutout hurts the win feeling a little.

That 4th line shouldn't be touched. Ever again.

I feel like a lot of this board owes Craig Adams an apology for *****ing constantly about him. He's been really good this year, and an integral part of that fourth line. I think this is easily the best Adams has played for us in a long time. He's reminding me of what he used to bring to us during that cup run.

By the way forgot this +

Paul Martin. He was nuts on that one pk and he's playing tremendous hockey for us. He's easily worth his salary this year. He's even chipping in offensively.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Although Bennett had a really good game (considering that he's nervous and all), I'd still be hesitant about our roster going into the Playoffs without 1 more top6 winger (and preferably some size on the their bottom6).

I'd be hesitant without 2.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Also James Neal is gonna win the Rocket Richard. He's that good and our PP spends the whole time just trying to set him up. Stamkos is the only one who might take it away from him.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Some different pluses and minuses because others have said what I wanted to.

- Niskanen had a bad game.

- TK wasn't good either, again. Get Jeffrey in the lineup over him.

+ Martin was great.

+ Letang was great outside of a couple brainfarts.

+ We were outplayed but still got the win. It feels good to get one of those once in a while, feels like it's usually the other way around. 7-2 on the road, or is it 8 now?

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
I feel like a lot of this board owes Craig Adams an apology for *****ing constantly about him. He's been really good this year, and an integral part of that fourth line. I think this is easily the best Adams has played for us in a long time. He's reminding me of what he used to bring to us during that cup run.

By the way forgot this +

Paul Martin. He was nuts on that one pk and he's playing tremendous hockey for us. He's easily worth his salary this year. He's even chipping in offensively.

It's easy to say that after he had a great game but after he looked very old against the Devils in the second game it was a different story. Either way if some one needs to come out of the line up it should not be Vitale. Guy is the perfect 4th liner.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'll go nuts if I spend time on this today, so just this:

+ MAF was awesome. Nothing short of awesome and the only reason we win this.
+ Vitale is always awesome.
+ Adams has to be mentioned when he gets two goals :). Strong effort in general.
+ Neal's shot. What would we do without it?
+ That interference call late in the third. BS penalty, but who knows if we win without it. Would have been livid if it had been the other way around.

I have nothing further. Absolutely hated our game tonight other than the first 15 minutes or so.

Interestingly, first 15 minutes, we went with a modified stretch pass to the middle of the ice, with a chip to either side (both forwards coming with speed).

Winnipeg adjusted, and the Pens just kept doing it again and again and again.

Clearly, it was an execution problem.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Niskanen had a bad game.

TK wasn't good either, again. Get Jeffrey in the lineup over him.

I have NO idea what Niskanen was doing on the Jets goal. For him to end up all the way on the right boards . . . :shakehead

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
- To those who joked about MAF not getting the SO and laughing about it after the goal. It's one thing to not like a player, but to want him to fail and laugh about it is ****ing lame.

I don't think any of us want him to fail. Its just a bit of gallows humor.

at least that's my thoughts on it

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Interestingly, first 15 minutes, we went with a modified stretch pass to the middle of the ice, with a chip to either side (both forwards coming with speed).

Winnipeg adjusted, and the Pens just kept doing it again and again and again.

Clearly, it was an execution problem.

stop with the sarcasmmmmmm :P

Part of this IS execution: some players are just floating out there (none of the big guys imo).

Also, the team as a whole loses every ****ing puck battle, is always out numbered, and no support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad