Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pen(alties) vs. Devils - 2 big points lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
He overplayed the angle on one of the first two goals. That let to the rebound being "unsaveable."

The old goalie in me coming out here...

The goalie's assignment is the shooter. When you have a guy coming in with a shooting lane and a slapshot cocked, you play the angle to that shooter. Matteau was Orpik's man, and he took the slap pass without any pressure on him.

On the second one...the shot went off the post and went right to the stick of a Devil...come on, man.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I really like Despres and Bort but I feel like giving them a + is being way too kind this game. They played badly. They couldn't break the puck out to save their lives, especially Bortuzzo who kept coughing it up.

It happens. It was their first bad game all year. Lets not be kinder to them than they deserve now. If Martin/Orpik played like those two we'd have been all over them.

Orpik did play that badly today.

Cardboard Orpik

Out 4-6 Weeks
Jun 18, 2011
There were some legit calls, but there was a lot of bizarre, bogus crap called on both sides. What really gets me are the botched icing calls. Messing something so simple up multiple times is inexcusable. The refs were on a different planet.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Wrong. You have no idea how hard it is to play when you're not even sure what you're allowed to do anymore.

This was an abortion of a game.

No doubt the refs were bad, but at least half of those penalties were self-inflicted wounds. Pens need to be more disciplined and stop getting frustrated so easily.

I'm all for fining guys who embellish boarding calls. Not only does it make guys lighter in the wallet, but it embarrasses them as well.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
The loss sucks but to be honest the far more disappointing thing is what the refs did to the game. We didn't deserve to win but the refs just destroyed that game today. It was 100% bush league. Like they were trying to send messages when there was no reason to send one. I might expect that if we're playing the Islanders and things are getting really chippy but not the Devils and not a game like today.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
-- Refs Worst game I've seen in years, against both sides.

It was bad, but dunno about that. Auger really slaughtered a Pens Flyers game last year. My recollection is it was worse than this one (Simmonds got a penalty for skating through the crease not touching the goaltender, Orpik got a rough without engaging in bodycontact with anyone).

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I agree with u guys about Boychuck time to give DJ another chance. Cant even remember the last time malkin line scored an even strength goal

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Lost in this whole game, pens were up 1-0 and Boychuck missed an empty net. Different game if he scores. Time to get a real player on that line, because that line has been ****

But, but, but . . . Boychuk plays hard. As I said, a day like this, with the way Malkin and Neal hopped out of the gate, Boychuk did as much to slow them down as the Devils.

gogasson

Jan 30, 2008
Can't say that this was any fun to watch at all. If this is what the NHL wants to put on the ice, wow are they going to lose fans. As a fan, I couldn't figure out what was going to be called next, think about the players.
Maybe it was a reward to the Jersey fans that came to the game.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Wrong. You have no idea how hard it is to play when you're not even sure what you're allowed to do anymore.

This was an abortion of a game.

So you're telling me the stupid slashing penalties and retaliatory penalties (especially by Geno) spurned on by frustration, and the unsportsmanlike penalty for trashing the ref weren't deserved?

The Vitale penalty, yes. That was an awful call. But the temper tantrum this team threw today because of the refs was embarrassing.

PittPenguin

Oct 21, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
NJ has also been playing very well. They still only have 1 regulation loss. They're looking like the team to beat in the division. They were just the Eastern Conference champions.

Not trying to make excuses for the Pens' undisciplined play this afternoon. Just making an observation.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
i like how despres just got the puck and fired it on the pp. letang/crosby/malkin would have done some fancy passing crap that would have done nothing.

i like how the young guys are playing simple tough hockey, not trying to be too fancy.

also i like the snarl to bortuzzo's game. people said he had a bit of a mean streak in wbs, but seemed to suggest it's not a nightly thing. are we seeing adrenaline/youthful exuberance causing him to be such a mean player, or is this really his standard play? more snarl than i expected/had heard about.

Speaking of Malkin and fancy **** on the PP. I'm getting sick and tired of watching him force things there trying to defer to Crosby. ****, Kunitz and Neal are guilty too, so I guess I should add them to the list.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I agree with u guys about Boychuck time to give DJ another chance. Cant even remember the last time malkin line scored an even strength goal

It was the most-recent game against Washington. Boychuk wasn't on the ice for one shift and the Malkin line got one. This was not a coincidence.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The loss sucks but to be honest the far more disappointing thing is what the refs did to the game. We didn't deserve to win but the refs just destroyed that game today. It was 100% bush league. Like they were trying to send messages when there was no reason to send one. I might expect that if we're playing the Islanders and things are getting really chippy but not the Devils and not a game like today.

Yep.

We deserved to lose the game with how undisciplined we were and how we just faded today...but the game of hockey deserves better than that bush league crap.

It was total message sending at the end...and I don't know what the message was. Don't...uh...touch anyone? It was like watching a mall cop on a power trip.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
So you're telling me the stupid slashing penalties and retaliatory penalties (especially by Geno) spurned on by frustration, and the unsportsmanlike penalty for trashing the ref weren't deserved?

The Vitale penalty, yes. That was an awful call. But the temper tantrum this team threw today because of the refs was embarrassing.

When was this supposed team tantrum? I saw Malkin take some stupid penalties. That's about it.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Boychuk looked like Chris Conner out there.

He'll probably stick around on the big team about as long as Conner, if that.

Expect him gone at the deadline as a throw-in. Maybe he can be the next Espo and we can trade for Perry. :sarcasm:

Boychuk, Dupuis, 1st for Perryz¡¡¡

Cardboard Orpik

Out 4-6 Weeks
Jun 18, 2011
NJ has also been playing very well. They still only have 1 regulation loss. They're looking like the team to beat in the division. They were just the Eastern Conference champions.

Not trying to make excuses for the Pens' undisciplined play this afternoon. Just making an observation.

NJD and the Pens are the best in the Atlantic by a mile right now.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Orpik did play that badly today.

Yeah Orpik was really bad today too. Our entire defense was bad except for Paul Martin who was mostly good up until the third period where he decided to be as bad as everyone else was playing.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Honestly, only two things piss me off about today's game:

1. Watching how Sid needed a linemate to step up and help make a play in a game where the other team knows how to play positionally.

2. Watching Boychuk act like a bigger black hole for Malkin and Neal than Letang has on the PP.

The rest, you can chalk up to **** happening. BUT, those two problems are on Ray Shero to solve at long last.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Boychuk looked like Chris Conner out there.

Yeah... I'm not sure what Dustin Jeffrey did to piss off Bylsma.

I wouldn't mind them giving Tangradi another shot. See if the benching lit a fire under his ass. If not, then perhaps it's time to move on.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
I can only the imagine the cry of "golden boys" or "Bettman's team" if those same exact penalties were called on the opposite team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad