Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pen(alties) vs. Devils - 2 big points lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Boychuk does seem to lack that finishing dimension to his game. It's unfortunate because if he was able to bring that, I think he could be a pretty good top 6 winger.

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
We all talk about the magic winger. But we REALLY need our bottom 6 to chip in more offensively. Ok, 4th line i dont really care as long as they keep banging players and play sound defense.

3rd line however... Come on. Ok, Sutter i can give a pass since hes new and have looked like hes finding his way lately (6 points atm (3+3). But Kennedy with 2 points (1+1) and Cooke with 4 (2+2) really needs to chip in now and then.

This problem gets masked pretty well when crosbys and/or Malkins line are on fire like last week. But when they hit a slump it becomes even more obvious that our 3rd line has to produce more.

At 6 points in 12 games, Sutter is on-pace for a 41 point season (assuming a full season). That is great for a 3rd liner. He doesn't need a pass, he is doing everything he should be doing.

Cooke's 4 points in 12 games would put him on-pace for 27 points in a full season. Last season was his career high at 38, but he looks to be about a 30 point player (last season he played on Crosby's line a few times which probably accounted for most, if not all, of the extra production past 30). So he is really just slightly under where he should be.

But yes, I agree with the TK assessment. He needs to produce more.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
They still haven't credited Elmer with that goal from yesterday? I don't think Sutter tipped that, or at least the replay I saw didn't show it.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
At 6 points in 12 games, Sutter is on-pace for a 41 point season (assuming a full season). That is great for a 3rd liner. He doesn't need a pass, he is doing everything he should be doing.

Cooke's 4 points in 12 games would put him on-pace for 27 points in a full season. Last season was his career high at 38, but he looks to be about a 30 point player (last season he played on Crosby's line a few times which probably accounted for most, if not all, of the extra production past 30). So he is really just slightly under where he should be.

But yes, I agree with the TK assessment. He needs to produce more.
TK definitely needs to step up. Not sure what's up with him, but its a problem. Maybe he's just struggling. I wonder if he's playing hurt and is afraid of losing his spot to any of the number of guys waiting for a spot to open so he is trying to play through it? Or if he simply gets more attention with Staal gone.
They still haven't credited Elmer with that goal from yesterday? I don't think Sutter tipped that, or at least the replay I saw didn't show it.
I think it should be Despres too.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Cooke/Sutter/TK really hasn't had the type of zone time we need from them. IMO, we miss Staal's size and board play on that line. Hopefully some trades go down and we can slide Duper down there.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Cooke/Sutter/TK really hasn't had the type of zone time we need from them. IMO, we miss Staal's size and board play on that line. Hopefully some trades go down and we can slide Duper down there.

Dupuis would do that line a lot of good. I think TK's lack of size comes out without Staal drawing extra attention.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Sutter reacted like he touched it. It was hard to tell though but it definitely hit something and changed direction before going in.

Sutter should likely keep getting better. He really hasn't had time to develop much chemistry with the guys here yet.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
It can be cured and cured easily. The coach of NT is very sensitive to unnecessary penalties, he doesn't give liberties in this question even to star players. May be that's why Malkin got 4 min in 10 games. He didn't answer even after Franzen jumped on him and gave him a bunch of strikes into his head (btw Malkin scored a goal on Franzen's penalty)

Bylsma is not Bill. And Maurice isn't like either one of them. Malkin actually dropped the gloves a couple of times playing for MMg ... and from the pressers afterwards it sounded like Maurice liked the idea. Granted, afterwards players started giving him a bit more space, so maybe that was the point. Looking at his play under different coaches, it does look like he responds to their demands.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
We had won 5 in a row, we were bound to lose a game. It's not like we were decimated. /shrug

But, aside from the undisciplined hockey, Boychuk concerned me. He looks slow out there at time. Malkin is dumping a lot of pucks in this season and Boychuk is failing to retrieve them.

Both goalies played great games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad