Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Game 2 Penguins vs. Rangers

Tafkak

Feb 2, 2005
Novi, MI.
I would also like to point out that Despres' passing, when he gets some time and space, is probably the best on this team. I saw at least 3 stick to stick passes that most players would have had picked off. He just needs to get his puck retrieval game solidified and he'll be a cornerstone of this defensive core.

StoneColdFlower*

Have to give a minus to Sid. He was pretty much awful on the PP. The passing and decision making were... not good, to say the least.

I agree that 87 was far from a beast tonight, but he looked very good for parts of the 1st and 2nd. He was making things happen at both ends of the ice and the only reason he was held to one assist was bad luck. Defense has really upped its game from last year. Orpik hit was relentless, and aside from some being pinned in our own in a few times in the 3rd, which is never nice, they gave us what we needed. The Malkin-Neal line was unreal tonight and adds credence to the argument that Neal deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as a Gaborik or a Kessel. Wasn't especially thrilled with Kunitz, but not everyone is going to have an elite game even when we fire on all cylindres. And wow, Vokoun will solve the problem of Fleury's late-season burn out if he can have nights like this. While he wasn't good enough to allow us to beat Lundqvist at his best (I don't regularly expect us to score 6 against the Islanders, let alone the Rags), he isn't the liability that BJ was and kept us in the game against our biggest EC threat. I was very impressed with how his rebound control got better and better as the game progressed, something that's indicative of the poise and clear-headedness that one likes to see from solid veteran goaltender. I understand that Toronto wants to get an unambiguous #1 to lead them to the promised land (Their playoff futility makes them the 40-year old virgin of the NHL, and a Reimer-Scrivens tandem is equivalent to living in mommy's basement and having a dead-in job while trying to get laid at that age), but I'm grateful that they didn't thrown a wrench in the Vokoun acquisition.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Agree with everything you said Cole.

I guess I'm one of the few, but I'm mighty excited for Despres. He's making some mistakes, but the plays he's messing up on are plays that've been working for him in the AHL. This is why you can't send him back there to "get more seasoned". It'll hurt his game. Things that work in the AHL wont always work in the NHL and the only way he'll learn that is by playing in the NHL.

That board pass was amazing.

Give him time people... he's going to be a gem back there.

Despres has been awesome in both games, can't believe in reports of him not even being at camp

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
- having to play Nash 8 times a year... going to be scary as **** once that line / PP starts clicking

Rags are lead by the great Socrates, Tortitos. Plus, they have perennial playoff choker in net Lundqvist. I'm not worried about them at all. They are trying to buy titles again, that rarely works....

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
+ Paul Maurice . . . for beating back the defensive side of the game into Geno. The takeaway machine who clogs up passing lanes in neutral ice and back checks like someone stole his hockey puck is back.

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011
+ Brooks Orpik
+ Joey V
+ TOMAS VOKUUUUUUUN
+ 'Fo Real' James Neal

Trade Jeffrey for a draft pick. Vitale is too good to sit.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Paul Martin - MINUS

And the next time someone talks smack on Vitale I'm slappin' the taste out of their mouth.

That's it I'm done.

I with you there.

Smack talk on Tangradi o'k, for today at least? Unless of course getting in Geno's way is an attribute.

Tafkak

Feb 2, 2005
Novi, MI.
Everyone was saying that the CBJ got robbed in that deal (well, they still did), but the Rangers had to give up a lot of their 'along the boards' players in that deal and over the off-season and it is definitely showing.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I thought Sid looked fine aside from the horrible passing on that last PP. But everyone seems to be flubbing pucks here and there (Kunitz, Malkin, Letang), I assume that's an affect of no camp.

hctopcheds11

Oct 6, 2009
One player not getting enough credit is Neal. Every chance he gets the pucks in the back of the net. Make no mistake, Genos key to that line but Neals finishing ability is the difference in 71 having a 3 point night versus 1 or 2.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Plus

+ Glass, Adams, Vitale, TK: I have to group these guys together because they are just the heart and soul of our bottom 6. TK is back like he was 2 years ago. He's skating fast, possessing the puck, and doing the things that made him a $2m a year player. After last year... that's a blessing.

As for Glass, Adams, and Vitale... just do what you guys do. They are grinding the defense down, making hits, and even looking for scoring chances. At one point, they had the #1 line defending for an entire 30-40 seconds. It was tremendous. All of these guys are the difference between us winning and losing games.

+ Geno/Neal: This pairing needs to stay together for as long as they can. They have natural chemistry and are so dangerous. Neal's release and Geno's creative skill is a match made in heaven. An additional plus for Geno's defensive game. He's just on fire when playing against Nash. I counted about 4-5 times he came back and was the difference between a scoring chance and us going the other way.

+ Defense: Every single defender has upped their game from last year. I think we can start with Paul Martin and admit he's living up to his words. It's only 2 games, but we can all see the change. Orpik also looks calm with Martin. They play defense and focus just on that. Letang and Nisky look like offensive threats. Engo is solid minus his one gaffe and Despres is the good/bad. His bank pass is a clear example of why he's in the line up. I don't think another defender could have done that. It was the type of pass you dream of making as a defender. And yes.. he does come with the bad.

+ Vokoun: What an amazing acquisition this is if he continues to play at this level. It's simple. He makes the save and keeps it simple. His rebound control is great. He eats the puck up or puts it in the corner. He's not flashy.. but makes a lot of saves. His ceiling obviously will never be higher than Fleury's, but his floor isn't anywhere near where #29 can take us. He's a gem to have.

+ Sutter: His defensive game alone is stellar. He'll figure out the penalty thing eventually. :laugh: I just cannot believe this trade helped the Pens so much. I know Staal can change a game by himself, but we have Sid/Geno for that. Paying Staal 8M just isn't worth it if we can have Sutter for even 5.

+ 4 Points: That's all that matters.

Minus

Umm.. nothing. I guess I could wish Sid's line was playing great, but who cares? They aren't killing us. Maybe Cooke's penalty for being dumb? I feel he lost some ice time due to it?

I'd add Geno's fourth assist to the minus column, along with a PP that still needs a lot of work. Part of the thing there, though, is even 4-1, the intensity level isn't there and 5-1 the aim was getting Neal a HT.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If Tangradi isn't improving 10-15 games from now, look for a legit top line winger for Sid, bump Kunitz down with Geno. And your lineup is set. We don't need a damn thing on D. Move Bortuzzo in if Engelland struggles. Despres is gonna be a gem for us.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I watched part of CBJ last night and Dubi played pretty damn good. However, that was the 2nd game I watched in full of the Rangers and Nash has looked un-****ing-believable.

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
One player not getting enough credit is Neal. Every chance he gets the pucks in the back of the net. Make no mistake, Genos key to that line but Neals finishing ability is the difference in 71 having a 3 point night versus 1 or 2.

With Tangradi on the bench it's a 5 point night. :sarcasm:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Despres has been shaky both games. Clearly, rookie season at work here. He'll be fine down the road, but right now, he's sort of a liability...

That's the key . . . down the road, in April, when we really need him. It's just so important to find out with someone like him whether and how much he can be relied upon when the playoffs come. Bylsma didn't do it last year. He seems **** bent on doing it this year. I, for one, applaud him for it.

hctopcheds11

Oct 6, 2009
I thought Sid looked fine aside from the horrible passing on that last PP. But everyone seems to be flubbing pucks here and there (Kunitz, Malkin, Letang), I assume that's an affect of no camp.

As I posted above, he looked "back" through a period and a half to me. After that he was sloppy...

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I thought Tangradi looked pretty decent today.

I'm surprised at all the Sid downers. I thought he looked pretty good. He's forcing things too much at times but he's looked dangerous both games. I also liked that he was shooting more today.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
++ Kennedy & Vitale.
++ Another strong game from Martin.
++ Malkin. Strong game outside of the play that resulted in the Nash goal.
+ Sutter.
+ Neal.
+ Vintage Orpik with that hit on Kreider.

* Tangradi
* Despres

- Vokoun. Horrible rebound control.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
I would also like to point out that Despres' passing, when he gets some time and space, is probably the best on this team. I saw at least 3 stick to stick passes that most players would have had picked off. He just needs to get his puck retrieval game solidified and he'll be a cornerstone of this defensive core.

Let's leave the hyperboles in the cabinet for now...

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
- having to play Nash 8 times a year... going to be scary as **** once that line / PP starts clicking
The only times Nash looked like major trouble were off the back of two brutal turnovers. He has slick hands and excellent speed, but doesn't have very good vision or hockey sense, so as long as you don't give him an acre of space and/or let him come down on you with a full head of steam, he's not that bad. There's better in the division.

Tafkak

Feb 2, 2005
Novi, MI.
I watched part of CBJ last night and Dubi played pretty damn good. However, that was the 2nd game I watched in full of the Rangers and Nash has looked un-****ing-believable.

Artem was even better. If they can continue to build around their new mindset, the trade won't be as lopsided as everyone initially made it out to be.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
+Start to the season. 2 road W's against Philly and NYR, who are a combined 0-4 on the season.

+Vokoun. Great debut for team. Nice to have a backup that you can count on.

+Malkin/Neal. Just simply an unbelievable duo. Neal also had a 'third' assist that shouldn't go unnoticed on a sweet up ice pass on the PP. Malkin was flying. Sid NEEDS a 'Neal' of his own. Imagine that. UNSTOPPABLE would be the word.

+Vitale/Kennedy. That's what a 4th line center looks like. Fantastic energy from both of these guys.

+4th line in general. Had some great shifts that bottled up the Rangers in their zone for quite a long time. Liking what I see out of Glass, and a terrific fight to boot.

+Orpik. Free candy for all! Man I've missed these bone crunching hits the past few years. He looks great out there.

-Sid. I love you Sid. I know you're going to turn it around and are the least of our problems. Having said that, you are forcing some terrible passes and are a turnover machine at the moment.

-5 on 3 PP. Simply atrocious. SOMEBODY SHOOT IT!

?Despres. Like vs Philly, started out real rough then turned it around and played solid. Had a sick board pass that led to a goal. Along with Engelland, is getting very protected ice time. Idk if we can count on the top 4 to play as much as they have over a short season, but you do have to atleast break him in I suppose.

-Hand pass penalty. What a stupid rule.

+Oh and a bonus one to Nash. Hate to say it but he was fantastic tonight.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
+ Paul Maurice . . . for beating back the defensive side of the game into Geno. The takeaway machine who clogs up passing lanes in neutral ice and back checks like someone stole his hockey puck is back.

Good call KIRK! He does seemed to have a renewed sense of his defensive responsibilities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad