Player Discussion: Cole Perfetti 10th OA pick

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Despite his skating he was still on point with his exits and entries.

75% on controlled zone exits and 100% on controlled zone entries. Best efficiency on the team.

https://mobile.twitter.com/hunterofstats

I think the issue people have is that he is predominantly being asked to stand still infront of the net in the ozone which highlights his skating issues when he is always needing to start from a stand still to get to loose pucks.

Even when the games are tightening up he is is still doing a lot of good things and is still generating a decent amount of chances. He really should have another 2 to 3 points with a bit more Puck Luck and finish on his line.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
The endurance aspect is getting over blown. C'mon he's used to playing far more minutes and this "time off" hasn't changed a thing. I doubt he's just been on the couch eating potato chips.

Reactions: surixon

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
not liking this kid at all.
looks lost. slow. not making anything of his chances.....
I'll need to see a lot more but so far my feeling is he's a wasted pick

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Perfetti seems a lot more likely to replace Wheeler for our next Stanley cup window than this one...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The endurance aspect is getting over blown. C'mon he's used to playing far more minutes and this "time off" hasn't changed a thing. I doubt he's just been on the couch eating potato chips.

According to him he was working out 6 days a week.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
not liking this kid at all.
looks lost. slow. not making anything of his chances.....
I'll need to see a lot more but so far my feeling is he's a wasted pick

Are you a Jets fan? If so, no wonder so many players want to leave Winnipeg as soon as they can and no free agents want to come there. Freezing cold, zero culture and fans that will bury you before you have played a single game. A wasted pick before he has gone to one NHL training camp? Pretty incredible. I would say we all were hoping for a bit more, but the piling on is ridiculous.
If he had capitalized on a couple of his chances and his line mates made good on half his set ups (he has created at least 4 breakaways for his line mates that none have scored on). he would be at 9 or 10 points and amongst the leaders on the team.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Are you a Jets fan? If so, no wonder so many players want to leave Winnipeg as soon as they can and no free agents want to come there. Freezing cold, zero culture and fans that will bury you before you have played a single game. A wasted pick before he has gone to one NHL training camp? Pretty incredible. I would say we all were hoping for a bit more, but the piling on is ridiculous.
If he had capitalized on a couple of his chances and his line mates made good on half his set ups (he has created at least 4 breakaways for his line mates that none have scored on). he would be at 9 or 10 points and amongst the leaders on the team.

Yup, as mentioned a bit of puck luck and he has more points. Sometimes the puck doesn't bounce your way for a time. We've seen it with our skilled players here on the Jets. He is still a ppg despite all if this at a difficult tournament.

The World Junior has to be the most overrated platform to grade players. People treat it as the be all end all in terms of grading prospects when it is just a 7 game sample or a blip in the radar.

But I can't say that I am surprised some on here are calling him a bust already. You would thinknthe development path of many of our other players would lead people to have way more patience but its an instant gratification world we live in now.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
was scheifele declared a bust this early or is this a new record?

Well he excelled at his first camp and made the team which bought him some leeway but when he wasn't able to make the team the the year after and was weak and slow absolutely. Morrissey was also called a bust when he had a weak 19 year old training camp. He was written off by many when he had a slow start to his first pro year.

Seems like common practice make knee jerk judgements on prospects on this board.

Reactions: gojetsgo

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I do agree with some posters. Perfetti has looked pretty mediocre. I don’t take much out of this tourney for any player. He could still turn out great, and probably will.

It looks like his lack of size is hurting his game in this tournament. Hopefully he can figure out a way to be effective as a very small forward in the NHL

Reactions: SCP Guy

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
I do agree with some posters. Perfetti has looked pretty mediocre. I don’t take much out of this tourney for any player. He could still turn out great, and probably will.

It looks like his lack of size is hurting his game in this tournament. Hopefully he can figure out a way to be effective as a very small forward in the NHL

He looks like an 18 year old playing on a team of 19 year old first rounders.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
was scheifele declared a bust this early or is this a new record?

Scheif, JMo, Nik, Armia, Laine (18-19), KC, Heinola, Harkins, Roslo, Nikkanen, Vesalainen... All have been anointed as busts or busts-to-be on HFJ at various points, as far as I can remember. Scheif may hold the record for quickest bust out of the gate, but there's a few others that run him close. All part of the cycle.

Have faith, folks. Even at the ripe old age of 19 and two days, grizzled vet Cole Bustafetti may yet turn out to be a serviceable NHL player. And if not, maybe a locker-room hero.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
He will always be smaller then most of his competition. This is a perfect time to start learning how to break through.

Learning is the important word. He's an 18 year old who hasn't played in months.

Look at Byfield. He was the 2nd overall and has looked quite poor.

This year more than any other there is a huge difference between the 19 year old and the 18 year olds. The 18 year olds have missed a year of development and thus even the top ones are going to look bad in comparison. (Stutzle aside)

Keep in mind Perfetti is still playing on the 2nd line as an underager.

Edit: The biggest issue is people seemed to think Perfetti was going to come in and make the Jets this year. How many players make the NHL in their draft year?

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Learning is the important word. He's an 18 year old who hasn't played in months.

This year more than any other there is a huge difference between the 19 year old and the 18 year olds. The 18 year olds have missed a year of development and thus even the top ones are going to look bad in comparison. (Stutzle aside)

Edit: The biggest issue is people seemed to think Perfetti was going to come in and make the Jets this year. How many players make the NHL in their draft year?

I agree. I think he is 2 years away. He also has a couple games to turn it up here hopefully

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015

I agree. Go through the top 10 picks in this past draft one by one and analyze their impact on this tournament. Other than Stutzle I would say everyone of them has underperformed compared to their expectations coming in to this tournament. The reason for that is that expectations were too high for all of them. This is an 19 year old tournament, full stop. Very few 18 year olds dominate this event. I fully expect that he and the other top 10 picks that come back next year to be high impact players. Last WJC Trevor Zegras was a 4th liner for Team USA, this year he is the best player in the tournament.

MelikeJets

Feb 18, 2019
Winnipeg
I have to admit I never saw him play before this tournament and was hyped by the pick based on this boards experts. He does look slow and skates awkward but his decision making looks fine. I am sure his skating will come along. Ducky was never a smooth skater either and he ended up being "ok"

Jimmy Hoots

Oct 10, 2013
Ok, damn, I was being generous when I called this kid Nic Petan 2.0. At least lil Nic potted a hattie and looked good at the WJC.

Perfetti has looked like a slow, under-sized winger aka What He Is aka The reason he dropped like a rock to us on draft day in the first place.

And for all y'all trying to use that "18 year old in a 19 year olds' tournament" excuse, give your damn head a shake. Anton Lundell aka The One Who Got Away doesn't need that excuse, he's too busy tearing shit up right now.

Big Bust Energy here, my dudes. Be honest with yourselves.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Ok, damn, I was being generous when I called this kid Nic Petan 2.0. At least lil Nic potted a hattie and looked good at the WJC.

Perfetti has looked like a slow, under-sized winger aka What He Is aka The reason he dropped like a rock to us on draft day in the first place.

And for all y'all trying to use that "18 year old in a 19 year olds' tournament" excuse, give your damn head a shake. Anton Lundell aka The One Who Got Away doesn't need that excuse, he's too busy tearing shit up right now.

Big Bust Energy here, my dudes. Be honest with yourselves.
calling him a bust off of 5 games.... you should give your head a shake....

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If I thought Perfetti wasn't going to get stronger and faster, I'd be concerned. But that is very unlikely. I'd be more concerned about prospects that are already big and strong and fast, but aren't generating plays as much as Perfetti is.

Reactions: Cypruss and surixon

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Agree with everything, except the 'zero culture' part. There is a ton of great culture of every kind in Winnipeg.

Anyway, back to hockey. I've not had time to watch any of the games, but some of the negative reactions based on small sample and inflated expectations are unfortunate.
From a quick perusal of stats, Byfield is still the only 2002 player on the Canadian team with more points than Cole--mostly from one game--and Perfetti has had many more chances.
If Canada is fortunate enough to win gold and if a few more of Cole's setups and SOG go in, this tourney will go down as an unmitigated success for both team and player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad