News Article: Cole: Claude Giroux making a case for Sochi

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I gotta imagine he will be there. He can play in a lot of different situations and has the ability to take over the game at times. I could even see him playing a bottom six role with this year's Canadian team.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised to see him snubbed after the idiocy that prevailed in the Team USA selection talk, but he definitely deserves to be on it. Picked up the point production in a major way after a bad start to where he has his reputation back (sort of speak) and his production over the last few seasons is elite. He's also one of the few guys that can put up that kind of production but also has experience at both wing and center at the NHL level. I wouldn't describe him as a high-end defensive player, but he's definitely got enough two-way ability and enough PK experience to be more versatile then a lot of the candidates.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I wouldn't be surprised to see him snubbed after the idiocy that prevailed in the Team USA selection talk, but he definitely deserves to be on it. Picked up the point production in a major way after a bad start to where he has his reputation back (sort of speak) and his production over the last few seasons is elite. He's also one of the few guys that can put up that kind of production but also has experience at both wing and center at the NHL level. I wouldn't describe him as a high-end defensive player, but he's definitely got enough two-way ability and enough PK experience to be more versatile then a lot of the candidates.

Most of the Canadian bubble guys are versatile forwards that have experience killing penalties. If Giroux makes the Canadian team, he will be one of many guys that can fill more than one role.

Couture, Sharp, Marleau, Bergeron, St. Louis, even Richards and Carter are all potential Canadian fowards that could kill penalties or play defensive roles. All, except Bergeron, have played multiple forward positions in the NHL, as well. Plus, that list doesn't include Toews and Getzlaf, who are locks for Canada, and can kill penalties.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Most of the Canadian bubble guys are versatile forwards that have experience killing penalties. If Giroux makes the Canadian team, he will be one of many guys that can fill more than one role.

Couture, Sharp, Marleau, Bergeron, St. Louis, even Richards and Carter are all potential Canadian fowards that could kill penalties or play defensive roles. All, except Bergeron, have played multiple forward positions in the NHL, as well. Plus, that list doesn't include Toews and Getzlaf, who are locks for Canada, and can kill penalties.

I was more alluding to the fact that he has a higher scoring upside and history then any of those guys. That point potential combined with position versatility, PK experience, and two-way ability makes him stand out.

Giroux isn't going to make it as a center because he's not a good enough face-off guy and because there's just a lot of players that didn't start out the season the way he did, but as far as the wing position goes there's not much in the way of enough competition to make him undeserving of a lineup spot I don't think.

Just to re-state what I said in that previous post:

"He's also one of the few guys that can put up that kind of production but also has experience at both wing and center at the NHL level."

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
This article has Giroux making it as the final forward:

PROJECTED FORWARDS
Patrick Sharp Sidney Crosby Eric Staal
Matt Duchene Jonathan Toews Rick Nash
Jamie Benn Ryan Getzlaf Corey Perry
Logan Couture John Tavares Martin St. Louis
Patrice Bergeron Claude Giroux

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=692704

If that's me, I switch Giroux and Bergeron with Coture and Nash and put them on the third and fourth line, respectively. Push Jamie Benn to that second line with Toews and Duchene.

RJ8812*

Eric Staal? He should definitely be there

Nash? nah, I wouldn't have him on my team Canada, but I think he'll be there

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
DeBoer at the morning skate today (through Randy Miller):
24m
#Devils DeBoer on #Flyers Giroux: "I'm a big fan. He's one of the top 5-10 guys in the world for me ... That's my 2 cents."

32m
#Devils coach DeBoer said he thinks of #Flyers Giroux as a "top 5-10 player in the world."

#devils coach DeBoer on report #Flyers Giroux won't make Canada Olympic team "Wow!!!"
https://twitter.com/RandyJMiller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad