News Article: Cole: Claude Giroux making a case for Sochi

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
On top of everything else, there was the, uh, golf injury.

You remember: the club that exploded on Claude Giroux during a mid-August round at the Camelot Golf and Country Club in Cumberland, Ont., like a … well, like an exploding golf club, sending shards of the shaft into his right hand, lacerating tendons, necessitating surgery and six weeks of rehab.

Coming 10 days before the Canadian Olympic hockey team was to assemble its prospective players in Calgary for an ice-free orientation camp, the injury itself was inconvenient, but hardly fatal to Giroux’s prospects of making Team Canada.

It was the other stuff that was worrisome. Not just the inevitable suspicions about how the injury really happened (absent a lawsuit against the club manufacturer, you have to figure there was some fury involved), but more dangerously, Giroux’s 15-game goal-less streak to start the regular season.

The Philadelphia Flyers went 4-10-1 in that stretch, and by the time Giroux finally scored on Nov. 7, head coach Peter Laviolette was long gone and the Flyers were battling teams like the Edmonton Oilers and Columbus Blue Jackets for “most disappointing†honours.

Some of that negativity was bound to stick to the captain.

http://games.postmedia.com/news/cla...r-sochi?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Obviously I hope he's there, and I think Canada would be nuts not to bring him.

But if he's snubbed? He might come out a demon in the last part of the season.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Don't see how he's not on that team. Can't imagine the damage he would do playing on one of those wings.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
If the Canadians leave Giroux off their team, then they deserve to lose frankly. Some of the wingers just aren't in Giroux's league.

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010
Hopefully he gets snubbed... Canada becomes a weaker team and we get a rested and motivated giroux for down the stretch ...win-win.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
We made him look good just so he could make the team, u guys can buy us beers later.

Your welcome!

dawkins121

Jul 7, 2007
Philadelphia
If the Canadians leave Giroux off their team, then they deserve to lose frankly. Some of the wingers just aren't in Giroux's league.

Well it would be hard to justify leaving someone like Kunitz off the team. He brings that rare ability to be able to play on the wing for the best player in the world. Hard to find that kind of skill set.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Well it would be hard to justify leaving someone like Kunitz off the team. He brings that rare ability to be able to play on the wing for the best player in the world. Hard to find that kind of skill set.

I'm glad I'm not the only one amazed at the fact that he is penciled into team Canada. He plays on Crosby's wing and he doesn't suck, that's pretty much it. Leaving Giroux off and having Kunitz on is ridiculous. Crosby would have chemistry with a cow if they put one on his wing.

Legion of Gloom

The Holy Ghost
Jun 20, 2013
Lake Titicaca
Sharp-Toews-Giroux

Keith-Seabrook

would be a dream for me

That would be a dream for me also if they played for the Flyers.

I have mixed feeling if I want him on the team. He wants to be on the team so I hope he makes it and will be fun to watch him., he is on a roll so maybe just continues to roll.

If he does not make the team there is less chance of an injury and he will rested and motivated to finish the season strong to bring us to the playoffs.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Kunitz on the team is madness. If Crosby is injured or finds chemistry with another actual star, he would make whichever line he is on significantly worse. I actually like him as a player, but he is not team Canada material.

Cleary84

Nov 7, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Posted this is the misc. NHL thread before seeing this...

So I have the luxury of living in State College where we are provided with every broadcast of home Penguins games. So, needless to say if I'm in the mood for a hockey game I have the pleasurable Bob Errey right there with me. This guy is a complete jackass. They just gave their predictions for the Canada roster and Claude Giroux was not even mentioned. I mean on guys, are people really not giving G a chance here? Or is this just stupid Pittsburgh homerism at its finest?

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Giroux will be there. He has plenty of wing experience (which is where he would play) and brings a versatile game that you can't get from most of the wingers being considered for the team

Claude has a great shot, he's a good PKer, he's decent defensively (especially at wing), and most importantly his puck posession capabilities and vision are perfect for the big ice

I think he'll tear it up. I'd like to see him play on a line with Tavares and Duchense

Richards18Forever

Nov 15, 2006
philadelphia
I would love for captain G to go but on the other hand I wouldn't be mad at all for him to get rest and fuel from being left off the roster. Our will have prolly a handful of players going and that's a good chance atleast one gets hurt.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
I would love for captain G to go but on the other hand I wouldn't be mad at all for him to get rest and fuel from being left off the roster. Our will have prolly a handful of players going and that's a good chance atleast one gets hurt.

Plus there are terrorist attacks going on over there.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
The fact that Kunitz is being considered a shoe-in for Team Canada is flat out gross, yes he has chemistry and history with Sid but seriously I could have chemisrty with him and have never played a minute of hockey in my life!

Now think about this for a second, could you imagine G on Crosby's wing?
Now talk to me about Kunitz after you get taken to Hogwarts, Middle-Earth, and Camelot with that kind of wizardry together.

I honestly think Roo's chances this year are smaller than they should be, I also would like to see the type of God-mode Roo will engage if left off Team Canada this year, but who knows maybe if he gets snubbed he can convince Bobby Ryan to come to Philly and they can play like beasts together!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad