GDT: "Cold War" | 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi | February 7-23 | Medal Count in Post #1

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
LOL I want there to be a out house on the Rocky Mountains like this. Would be so epic LOL.

46912_G08_W01.jpg

It's a panoramic wallpaper in a washroom in one of the winter resorts in Sochi.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oh yeah, it's to the point of being utterly laughable, did something new come to light?

Also, 4 medal for Canada, Owning Winter Faces.

I don't follow it too closely but yeah how shady are these Olympics in that sports, yikes. Russia must've paid out the rear end for that gold medal.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
There were some tweets last night about the Figure Skating Olympic judges.

The Russian judge is a female who's married to the director (or head, whatever) of the Russian figure skating program.

And the Ukrainian judge has already been linked to fixing scandals at the Olympics before (in 98 I think).

So there's that...

kovatroll*

Just as an aside, wow Olympic figure skating is corrupt as **** :laugh:

The fact that the scores are all anonymous should be enough proof to show there's corruption. The ISU has no integrity though, there's been multiple recorded instances of fixed results in the past and they do nothing. As mentioned, someone that was recorded on camera saying who they were voting to win an event before it was skates was suspended for a year and let back in to judge again.

At least all those other events show which judge is giving what score.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Long story of how I pulled it off

but I have spent the last two week working in Sochi and got only two comments

1) Russian Hockey federation is pissed and with about 5 minutes to go in their last game--all none Russians were removed from being anywhere near anyone associated with Russian Hockey
2) At the start of todays hockey game the Canadian federation had started prep work to play Finland and not Sweden

have fun flame away--I am off to bed with a 7am call

Starbuds

You like muscles?
Mar 28, 2010
I haven't watched any curling, but I've read that the Jacobs team consists of young, muscular, ***holes. I think that's great at an international event. Down with stereotypes. :laugh:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Oh dam, that was a nasty crash for the Canadian 4-man bobsled team. And it was our group that was in medal contention.

Didn't see it yet. How do you even manage to crash on this course? One of the least challenging Olympic Bobsled runs I've seen. Vancouver was way harder than this.

I miss Lueders but he was busy getting the Russians some gold.

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
Didn't see it yet. How do you even manage to crash on this course? One of the least challenging Olympic Bobsled runs I've seen. Vancouver was way harder than this.

I miss Lueders but he was busy getting the Russians some gold.

He was having a great run up to that point too. Looks like he just entered the corner a little too soon which lifted up his back end a bit and rolled him into the corner.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
CBC Commentator on the crash;

"He entered that curve too early," said CBC Olympic commentator Helen Upperton. "He was too close and the weight and the pressure rolled the sled into the corner. That's a shocking mistake to make.

What could explain that kind of elementary mistake? Entirely losing focus? Like I said it takes some kind of bad driving for a mens team to crash on this course.

Brewster

Mar 20, 2012
Canada
Awesome past two days for Canadian sports. We won't catch Russia/Norway in the final medal tables at this point, but winning a tenth gold tomorrow would cap off what I consider to be a very successful Olympics. Good job TC 2014!

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
CBC Commentator on the crash;

What could explain that kind of elementary mistake? Entirely losing focus? Like I said it takes some kind of bad driving for a mens team to crash on this course.

Maybe he was just going for it and driving aggressively ? Misjudged his speed ?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Maybe he was just going for it and driving aggressively ? Misjudged his speed ?

Apparently the driver took entirely the wrong line into that turn.

I'm not sure what happened. The Canadian 4man team was changed for this final and so its not a 4-man that has trained a lot together.. I'm not sure if it was a different driver or not for the finals. There was some comments about the driver taking the wrong line for the weight of this 4 man crew.

Seems odd to change the 4.

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
26 medals in Vancouver 14 of them gold. In Sochi it's 25 medals 10 of which are gold. Especially considering there were more events this year I suppose you could call this a little bit of a disappointment.

Nevertheless this has been incredibly fun and gotta be proud of all the Canadian athletes. Obviously these games were held in Russia not Canada (the sketchy Russia ;) )

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
If the Hamelin brothers could have stayed on their feet, we would have basically matched Vancouver in all likelihood. A few medals from new events in Sochi, but of course we had home country advantage in Vancouver as well. We finally pulled off the double-double, winning gold in all four hockey and curling events, certainly something to smile about. Add up all these factors and I'd rate this overall performance just a hair below 2010, so no complaints from me. If battling with the other heavy hitters for a top 3 or 4 spot in the medal charts is what we can continue to expect going forward, I'm certainly satisfied.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
If the Hamelin brothers could have stayed on their feet, we would have basically matched Vancouver in all likelihood. A few medals from new events in Sochi, but of course we had home country advantage in Vancouver as well. We finally pulled off the double-double, winning gold in all four hockey and curling events, certainly something to smile about. Add up all these factors and I'd rate this overall performance just a hair below 2010, so no complaints from me. If battling with the other heavy hitters for a top 3 or 4 spot in the medal charts is what we can continue to expect going forward, I'm certainly satisfied.

Agreed, Kyle. There will always be favourites who are gonna come up short and up and comers who will rise to the occasion, so the fact that we really didn't digress overall relative to other countries who can be considered our main challengers for the medal count in the Winter Olympics, I think there's every reason to be happy/optimistic/proud.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
WE placed exactly around where we should. We are a winter nation and have the best winter Olympic training facilities found on earth found in two different past Oly venues plus in facilities across the country.

Also USA most Athletes at the games 230, Followed by Russia 225, Canada with 221.

3rd largest contingent of any country and only 9 less athletes than the host nation.

Why shouldn't we be 3rd?

Additionally we actually had more athletes in more events at this games in Sochi and finished with less medals than in Vancouver.

I'll take it, but its depreciation.

The biggest worry is Canada chronically does well in new events because it has the fiscal resources to make quick commit to training in those. Short track would be a classic example. We owned that at one point and now we're coming up empty. With more typical skating powerhouses now passing us in that as well. I wonder how many ski and snowboard events won't be gold for us in the future.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Agreed, Kyle. There will always be favourites who are gonna come up short and up and comers who will rise to the occasion, so the fact that we really didn't digress overall relative to other countries who can be considered our main challengers for the medal count in the Winter Olympics, I think there's every reason to be happy/optimistic/proud.

Morrison snagged two medals he wasn't really expected to win on long track, Hamelin missed a couple he should have won on short track. It usually balances out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad