Confirmed with Link: COL trades Barrie(50% retained)/Kerfoot/2020 6th to TOR for Kadri/Rosen/2020 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I'd say it's a great trade for us because Kadri fills a huge need on the team and is on a great contract. I also don't believe they were going to pay Barrie.

True. Barrie probably wants 7+mil a season. That's too rich for us. We have more important players to sign up.

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
Not trading assets when they are expiring will make it really hard for the Leafs to gain enough assets to fill out their holes. JVR, Bozak, Gardiner and now Barrie.

At the end of the day, when your team is literally next to tanking teams like Ottawa and New Jersey in goals allowed you have very little chance of winning the Cup.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The great Kadri vs Kerfoot debate thread.:naughty:

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Some of the stuff said didn't age well indeed.

:laugh: My first post in the thread was literally just ****

Definitely hated the deal on first reaction, had warmed up to it a little after a few hours. In hindsight it was a pretty solid trade for Joe. Naz fits this team about as perfectly as you could hope, really added a new dynamic to the forward depth this season. And Makar pretty much completely replaced Barrie in his rookie season(At least at 5 on 5).

On the flip side, sucks to lose Barrie and it especially sucked to see him struggle under Babcock so much. He's such a likable guy and I really wanted him to excel with Toronto.

Especially considering how Barrie ultimately worked out for the Leafs and that he's essentially gone this offseason, I think it was a clear win for Joe because we have Naz for 2 more years as that pivotal 2C we have been looking for since Stas left pretty much.

Interestingly enough, Sleepy Joe got a lot of criticism for his not so sleepy moves last summer from a lot of people and pretty much all of them look really good 1 year later. Burakovsky for a 2nd + 3rd was a flat out steal, not to say Bura is a superstar or anything, but he's a legit Top 6 forward here that we managed to add to the team for cheap secondary assets. Nichushkin was heavily criticized as essentially throwing a dog a bone that could potentially take ice time away from some of our young stalwarts. In hindsight Nuke was our best 2-way player this year and nobody else was even in his tier, and the young stalwarts actually just aren't very good players.

The one deal that I still scratch my head at, was the Soderberg deal. We never ended up spending anywhere near the cap, and Soda would have been almost an ideal 3C behind Mack and Naz this year and now going into the playoffs we would have had unbelievable Center depth. Though especially in hindsight, I guess you could say the Avs were hoping that freed up cap space would go towards Panarin, and had we landed Panarin we certainly would have been a cap team this year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The Avs were clearing cap space for Bread with Soda. The plan with Bread seemed to be to pair up with Jost at center with Compher as the #3. The Bread deal didn't work, so Sakic went back around to grab Kadri to improve the forwards. Moving Jost to LW. I don't think the plan was ever to have Soda back regardless... but he would have been a great #3C for the season. He actually had a pretty damn good season for Arizona.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The Avs were clearing cap space for Bread with Soda. The plan with Bread seemed to be to pair up with Jost at center with Compher as the #3. The Bread deal didn't work, so Sakic went back around to grab Kadri to improve the forwards. Moving Jost to LW. I don't think the plan was ever to have Soda back regardless... but he would have been a great #3C for the season. He actually had a pretty damn good season for Arizona.
He was a great fit for the Yotes. I don't think Bednar liked him very much.

As for Jost with Panarin, that wouldn't have lasted long :laugh:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah that's one thing I wish Sakic didn't do was trade Soderberg to Arizona, but if that's his biggest mistake in a long time then he must be doing a damn fine job. He definitely hit on more than he missed over the last few years, especially last summer.

I still ****ing hate Ian Cole.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I dunno, Panaring has been a contributing factor in turning Ryan freaking Strome into a 60 point player this year and if he can make Strome look good, I think Jost mighg have had a chance :laugh:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Whilst the return we got for Soderberg was underwhelming, let's not forget that he was dreadful in the playoffs last year, while Jost was solid. I don't really hold that trade against Sakic too much, it was fairly understandable to want to move his contract under the circumstances.

Also note that the Burakovsky trade happened 3 days before July 1st and we were still in for Panarin on July 1st so the idea would probably have been to roll with Panarin-Jost-Burakovsky on the 2nd line, if not Panarin-Kadri-Burakovsky (as Barrie was probably a goner whatever happened with Panarin due to the emergence of Makar).

Nichuskin wasn't really in the plans at that stage either, so the idea would have been to go into the season with something like this:

Landeskog --- Mackinnon ---- Rantanen
Panarin -------- Kadri --------- Burakovsky
Jost ----------- Compher ------ Wilson
Nieto --------- Bellemare ------ Calvert
Kamenev/Nichuskin

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Whilst the return we got for Soderberg was underwhelming, let's not forget that he was dreadful in the playoffs last year, while Jost was solid. I don't really hold that trade against Sakic too much, it was fairly understandable to want to move his contract under the circumstances.

Also note that the Burakovsky trade happened 3 days before July 1st and we were still in for Panarin on July 1st so the idea would probably have been to roll with Panarin-Jost-Burakovsky on the 2nd line, if not Panarin-Kadri-Burakovsky (as Barrie was probably a goner whatever happened with Panarin due to the emergence of Makar).

Nichuskin wasn't really in the plans at that stage either, so the idea would have been to go into the season with something like this:

Landeskog --- Mackinnon ---- Rantanen
Panarin -------- Kadri --------- Burakovsky
Jost ----------- Compher ------ Wilson
Nieto --------- Bellemare ------ Calvert
Kamenev/Nichuskin
I wouldn't say Soda was dreadful in the playoffs. Soda was snakebit af. Remember that empty net he had where he shot it and then smacked it back out? Hilarious. He set up Rantanen for the OT goal in game 4 so that was nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese