Confirmed with Link: COL trades Barrie(50% retained)/Kerfoot/2020 6th to TOR for Kadri/Rosen/2020 3rd Part 2

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
To interject my opinion on the last bit of discussion on the Soda trade- Soda is overrated around here, imo. He wouldn't have made a good 3rd line center for us. He never worked in that role and he's a tweener we don't need. The return was God awful but we did clear up that cap space and only lost one year of a center that didn't like the role of playing on the 3rd line. Even though it's a relatively low sample size, I'm not big on players that disappear for the playoffs either.

I don't sweat this trade at all, tbh.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
To interject my opinion on the last bit of discussion on the Soda trade- Soda is overrated around here, imo. He wouldn't have made a good 3rd line center for us. He never worked in that role and he's a tweener we don't need. The return was God awful but we did clear up that cap space and only lost one year of a center that didn't like the role of playing on the 3rd line. Even though it's a relatively low sample size, I'm not big on players that disappear for the playoffs either.

I don't sweat this trade at all, tbh.

I've been saying that for years. :laugh:

All that said, he worked wonders in that quasi-2nd line center role and made it work. He went from Bednar's doghouse to being his workhorse, if one is allowed to mix animal-based metaphors. He played in all situations and served all manner of roles. Ended up being the perfect interim center for a rebuilding team severely short on center depth. It's a real shame that cheap shot from Jack Eichel derailed his season because he was absolutely lighting it up until then. I'll admit I went from absolutely hating the guy to being sad he was gone.

As for any sort of return on the trade, it was a salary dump mostly, the Avs weren't going to be able to maximize value unless they were aiming to take salary back, which they obviously weren't.

Reactions: 5280

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Soda was a good #3C in Arizona this year and filled that role in Boston too. It could have worked here too.
He’s such an odd player. In Boston he was an unbelievable 3C but failed when he moved up the lineup. In Colorado he was horrendous as a 3C but was awesome in an expanded role in the top 6. Then he goes to Az and he’s a prototypical 3C again.

Make up your mind blind man.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
But it never really did :dunno:. Both those teams have different styles than us, too.

Depends on how you term the lines. Soda was successful here as a "#2C" but his linemates were nearly always Nieto and Calvert/Comeau. I like Nieto, but he's really a 4th line guy. Calvert/Comeau are/were tweener 3rd line types. He made those lines passable here... and the Avs could have had that same line as the 3rd line this year. When you give him Martinson, Colbourne, and Girgo... you get terrible results.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Depends on how you term the lines. Soda was successful here as a "#2C" but his linemates were nearly always Nieto and Calvert/Comeau. I like Nieto, but he's really a 4th line guy. Calvert/Comeau are/were tweener 3rd line types. He made those lines passable here... and the Avs could have had that same line as the 3rd line this year. When you give him Martinson, Colbourne, and Girgo... you get terrible results.
Yeah, good points. He did play on some pretty shitty teams. I still think he is overrated around here, but maybe that's just me.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Like Hench said, our 2nd line last year was a 3rd line sitting on the wrong chair. Soda was good playing with 3rd liners here...he wasn't good with 1st liners though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah, good points. He did play on some pretty shitty teams. I still think he is overrated around here, but maybe that's just me.

He's not an ideal #3C or an ideal player by any stretch. What I like about Soda is you can give him relatively crappy teammates and he's still going to put up low end #2C production while being able to play any special teams unit. He's not great defensively (not bad either) and not great with high end players.. but he can fill a solid role. I really think he would have been a good option for the Avs this year in that role... they just wanted to push Jost and/or Compher into a middle six center role, which neither are really ideally suited for.

Reactions: 5280

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Soda was a good #3C in Arizona this year and filled that role in Boston too. It could have worked here too.

Based on my observations, he started out in that role, but he also got bumped up to 2C when Derek Stepan (who he ended up outscoring) went into a real drought and Schmaltz got moved to the wing. Once again he was kind of a quasi-2C for a team that wasn't exactly strong with center talent. For whatever reason I think he ended the shortened season at 4th line wing, which seems like a complete waste, but whatever.

I imagine the Avs would've made it work somehow. It ain't like Kadri hasn't played a 3rd line role before, and they probably would've switched off to the point where it wouldn't have mattered who was the 2nd or 3rd line center. Plus, given all the damned injuries, Soda would've likely seen plenty of time assuming he too wasn't hurt. I just think when relegated to a true 3rd or 4th line role with very limited minutes, his game really suffers. He needs a bigger role than that to really utilize his talents.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Based on my observations, he started out in that role, but he also got bumped up to 2C when Derek Stepan (who he ended up outscoring) went into a real drought and Schmaltz got moved to the wing. Once again he was kind of a quasi-2C for a team that wasn't exactly strong with center talent. For whatever reason I think he ended the shortened season at 4th line wing, which seems like a complete waste, but whatever.

I imagine the Avs would've made it work somehow. It ain't like Kadri hasn't played a 3rd line role before, and they probably would've switched off to the point where it wouldn't have mattered who was the 2nd or 3rd line center. Plus, given all the damned injuries, Soda would've likely seen plenty of time assuming he too wasn't hurt. I just think when relegated to a true 3rd or 4th line role with very limited minutes, his game really suffers. He needs a bigger role than that to really utilize his talents.

For the first half of the year, Crouse and Soda were attached at the hip on the 3rd line (Fischer and Kessel both spent time on that line). There was about a 15 game period where they tried Schmaltz and Keller with Soda. Then they went to a Richardson-Soda-Fischer line where Soda and Richardson split some center duties similar to how Comeau and Soda used to split some. It got real jumbled at the end.

Reactions: Pokecheque

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The biggest thing I will miss about Soda by far is the cyclops jokes. :puppy:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I like how the entire first page of the 2.0 Barrie/Kadri trade thread is about Soderberg. :laugh:

I don't get the frustration at his loss either. As was pointed out, he was never that good as a 3C here. He was good as a 2C. I don't think it ever had anything to do with linemates. He played the same style no matter what, and had a lot of success with the same Calvert-Nieto combo that Belly plays with on the 3rd and 4th lines.

It was pretty clearly the increased minutes that he liked IMO. He just looked way more motivated, and had way more jump in his step He also attacked the net more offensively when he was really feeling it playing top 6 minutes. In a 3rd line role, he'd be much less aggressive offensively.

Last edited:
Reactions: shadow1

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
As for the trade, I said when it went down that I was worried Barrie would find his way into Toronto hell if he didn't put up big numbers, because the rest of his game has a lot to critique. Toronto just wasn't a good fit for him for lots of reasons. It's too bad it played out that way though. Seemed to effect him mentally/emotionally a lot too. Hopefully he finds a good fit somewhere outside of the Central division.

Kadri's been exactly as advertised with his grit and two way play. Love how he sees a potential defensive breakdown in the D zone, and then just charges the puck carrier and takes him out with a big hit.

Toned down the emotion in his game too. I think Bednar helped him a lot with that, as he's helped Nate and Landy with it too. He had great chemistry with Burakovsky and Donskoi in their brief stint together. Weird season for him so far though with the injuries. Didn't feel like he completely settled in with the team yet.

I'm expecting to see a much more intense Kadri in the playoffs though. Looking forward to him letting some of the snarl out in his game. Hopefully he doesn't go too far.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Depending on where Kerfoot ends up in Selke voting, I think we may come out on top of this deal.
I still cant believe some Leaf fans really bought into this notion that Kerfoot was some kind of defensive savant. Some leafs fans legitimately thought he was going to be in the running for the Selke without ever seeing him play a game for us.

Reactions: Koolboss

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
As for the trade, I said when it went down that I was worried Barrie would find his way into Toronto hell if he didn't put up big numbers, because the rest of his game has a lot to critique. Toronto just wasn't a good fit for him for lots of reasons. It's too bad it played out that way though. Seemed to effect him mentally/emotionally a lot too. Hopefully he finds a good fit somewhere outside of the Central division.

Kadri's been exactly as advertised with his grit and two way play. Love how he sees a potential defensive breakdown in the D zone, and then just charges the puck carrier and takes him out with a big hit.

Toned down the emotion in his game too. I think Bednar helped him a lot with that, as he's helped Nate and Landy with it too. He had great chemistry with Burakovsky and Donskoi in their brief stint together. Weird season for him so far though with the injuries. Didn't feel like he completely settled in with the team yet.

I'm expecting to see a much more intense Kadri in the playoffs though. Looking forward to him letting some of the snarl out in his game. Hopefully he doesn't go too far.
I think Barrie is a good dude and all but I would be lying if I said I didnt take some enjoyment out of seeing him struggle and Kerfoot especially since I had to hear all summer how Joe got bent over no Vaseline by Dubas. Kadri came in and did everything we needed him to do. Still don't like Kadri on PP1 but that's for another thread.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's because we, unlike the Leafs fanbase, have gotten over it. :naughty:

Well to be fair, that's because the trade worked out in our favor, and Makar had a dominant rookie season better than Barrie ever had.

If we're still talking about losing a 34 year old Carl Soderberg, then you can bet we'd still be talking about losing Barrie, if Makar and Kadri both had injury riddled seasons.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Soderberg was at his best in 2017-2018 if you ask me. It wasn't his best offensive season, but his line (with Nieto and Comeau) played huge minutes all season long and in the playoffs.

As far as the trade return goes, I think it would have been a tall ask for Sakic to get a 2nd round pick (or more) for a soon-to-be 34 year old who was in the final year of his deal.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I mean, y'all still have an active thread debating the merits of the swapped forwards in the big trade, and we're in here talking about Soderberg...
You mean some Leaf Fan's talk about the trade from last year? I didn't even notice. I suppose you are right- some Leaf fans haven't gotten over it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad