Confirmed with Link: [COL/SEA] Avs Acquire D Kurtis MacDermid for 2023 4th round pick

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

70cRmFU.gif

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
I wonder what the front office saw in this guy that they thought he would be worth a 4th rounder. Middleton seemed to fill this role last year and he's ahl material. But looks like we got our enforcer. Its also a decent sign Seattle drafted him so there must be something there.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Couldn't you just get a guy like this in free agency for free, why pay the 4th

Would have gone after Hakanpaa but he probably would have cost at least double what MacDermid is making so I guess you're paying a 4th to save $1m in capspace.

Also just as an FYI; LAK management were going to move him to wing this upcoming season. Guy is the best scrapper in the NHL; knows his role. Not the greatest hockey player though.
If he can play wing as well that's useful. Allows Bednar to roll 11F + 7D with MacDermid used in a flexible capacity.

If the plan is for him to play on the 3rd pairing I suppose you could have worse bodyguards for Byram than this guy.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
The Kings dressed him as a winger last year I believe towards the end of the year. His lack of hockey skill will be less damaging as a 5 minute a night 4th line plug than as a 12 minute a night third pair defender.

I also guarantee Sakic got him as well because he’s seen as a tremendous locker room guy and off-ice influence with an insane work ethic in the weight room and gym. I know - it’s easy to scoff at that kind of stuff but MacDermid is well thought of in that regard.

Not great asset management by Joe but we blow our 4th round picks anyways. Not sure I get the complete outrage here. There could be plenty to be outraged about this off-season. This is low on the list.
MacDermid - Maltsev - O'Connor LETS GO lol

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I kind of like having the nuke threat, even if it doesn't "deter" or anything. Certainly not the best asset management, but I won't bother with a big reaction to this.

Honestly, if the MacDermid can be somewhat playable, I'd love to have a Vegas 4th line. They were total shitheads to play against, but they also got momentum for their team because they were such shitheads.

Reactions: Hagstrom and Bender

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I wonder what the front office saw in this guy that they thought he would be worth a 4th rounder. Middleton seemed to fill this role last year and he's ahl material. I guess its a decent sign Seattle also drafted him so there must be something there.
Not necessarily... Seattle drafted like crap so just because they wanted him isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

Dennis Gilbert is literally 10x the hockey player MacDermid is. He's an old school pylon goon who is good for nothing but punching faces.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
The level headedness currebtly outweighs the overreaction in this thread.

I'm proud of us, we've come a long way.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Honestly, if the MacDermid can be somewhat playable, I'd love to have a Vegas 4th line. They were total shitheads to play against, but they also got momentum for their team because they were such shitheads.
I suppose a better hockey player would've been needed for that, but as a "message" guy, I think this works somewhat. It's old school, but I don't care really.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Ideally you get someone with some skill but the Avs desperately need to grow bigger balls. Play the guy as a 4th line enforcer.
O'Brien was last years deterrent and he didn't really scare anyone. MacDermid can at least put fear into other guys because he can and will break you.

This makes Gilbert pretty redundant btw, wonder if he gets traded soon

Reactions: Bender
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I suppose a better hockey player would've been needed for that, but as a "message" guy, I think this works somewhat.

Reaves isn't particularly good, he just gets away with a ton of shit. Maltsev and LOC are both pretty quick, so you can have those guys do most of the actual hockey stuff and MacDermid occasionally rocks someone with a big hit. Meh, better than some of the 4th lines where it was 3 guys that looked like they didn't want to be there.

Reactions: Hagstrom

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This was one of the worst picks Seattle made and one we (and everyone else) laughed at and it’s the Avs who give up a pick to acquire him. C’mon on, man! :laugh:

I don’t care how scary he might be because he has to be on the ice in order for him to be scary and if he’s on the ice, the Avs are a worse team. He’s just not a good hockey player.

Reactions: McMetal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad