Confirmed Trade: [COL/NSH] Yakov Trenin and Graham Sward for Jeremy Hanzel and 2025 3rd round pick

AvalancheRy

Feb 13, 2009
Well I hope this doesn’t f*** up any chemistry
Some caster during the Devils/Blues game (I think it was Brian Boucher?) said the same thing. But the Avs bottom six hasn't been set in two years. We've had a revolving door of players, mainly because we haven't had a legit 2C. Adding Mittelstadt and Trenin gives us stability down the middle now. Colton gets to play a more natural 3C.

That and two years ago the Avs added 4-5 players who all turned out to be absolutely key to winning the cup. Cogliano basically gave the rallying speech the night before they won the Cup. Sometimes bringing in guys who haven't won it can reinvigorate the guys who already have.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yeah, really not sure the two prospects should be considered a wash... this looks like a steal by Avs to me.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
That was a huge fail by the Avs medical staff (should have been obvious). Ryjo after another surgery clearly doesnt have it and his cardio is bad too (might be a health issue).

This is more about pro scouting and the Avs rarely miss on those.
Maybe.

I don't have enough history on Trotz yet to tell how good/bad he is. I'm not going to lose sleep over a 4th liner either.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I'm not going to lose sleep over a 4th liner either.
This is the kicker for me. Great trade by the Avs. But that said, he's a good 4th liner who's a UFA and, reportedly, wasn't going to sign in Nashville. I think a 3rd is a good return. Only part I don't like is that he went to a rival.

Don't understand where the fleecing is.

Reactions: triggrman

JD86

Feb 29, 2024
I like Trenin, but careful checking the stats and expecting him to add that same offense to the 4th line. He played good minutes in Nashville, certainly not 4th line minutes.

He's 12th among Preds forwards with at least 35 games played in P/60. And he's behind actual 4th liners like Kiefer Sherwood and Michael McCarron in G/60. Same story in 22-23 more or less. Great defensively though, as a winger anyway, and definitely a good player.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I like Trenin, but careful checking the stats and expecting him to add that same offense to the 4th line. He played good minutes in Nashville, certainly not 4th line minutes.

He's 12th among Preds forwards with at least 35 games played in P/60. And he's behind actual 4th liners like Kiefer Sherwood and Michael McCarron in G/60. Same story in 22-23 more or less. Great defensively though, as a winger anyway, and definitely a good player.
He was at his best two seasons ago when he scored 17 goals on the "Herd Line" with Sissons and Jeannot. He was a wrecking ball, and in Nashville we were daring to hope he had even more upside. Those were the days we were looking for a 1st in exchange for him. But he went to Arbitration and got less money than most were predicting, and probably has wanted out since. Since then, his game has kind of settled down. I'm not sure he's really "great defensively"... he's reasonably diligent, if a bit plodding. But he's certainly deceptively strong. Even though he has "pretty good size", he plays even heavier than 6'2"/210-ish might suggest. And it's that strength that really makes him effective. He can over-power opposing players everywhere on the ice.

I do think he still has some offense to him that could maybe be tapped into again if he was in the right situation and feeling happy and energized like he was a couple years back. In that 15-20 goal range, anyway. I wouldn't hold my breath. But it wouldn't be completely impossible for him to hit that level again. :dunno:

And he has certainly looked like one of our better players in the couple of brief playoff runs we've had lately. He has that ability to elevate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad