Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] F Miles Wood signs with the Avalanche (6 years, $2.5M AAV)

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He's absolutely fine on a 4th line. He's mildly passable on a 3rd line. If you find him any higher than that in the lineup, you're gonna have a bad time. He's not as fast as he used to be, but he's still quick. He has the IQ of a potato and lots of plays will die on his stick. He likes to hit but always at the wrong time and always takes stupid penalties. He's usually good for two really stupid momentum killing penalties a game.

Likable guy, good teammate. I wish his nothing but success. But I'm fine with moving on from him. Every coach he played for moved him too far up in the lineup and it drove me nuts.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
When he's not being an idiot, he's fine. But things like the far too often offensive zone idiotic penalties will wear on you a bit, Avs fans

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
People told us Cogliano sucks when we traded for him. Same thing with Helm. Both came here and became productive players towards a cup winning team playing in our bottom 9. I'm assuming the same will be true of Wood. He's not going to be expected to do too much.
I’m not saying he sucks. I’m saying he’s an extremely limited player who relies on one trait - speed.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Good fit on the Avs but he'll drive you absurdly crazy with the penalties, guy almost cost the Devils round 1 v the Rags on his own + Vanecek

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He's absolutely fine on a 4th line. He's mildly passable on a 3rd line. If you find him any higher than that in the lineup, you're gonna have a bad time. He's not as fast as he used to be, but he's still quick. He has the IQ of a potato and lots of plays will die on his stick. He likes to hit but always at the wrong time and always takes stupid penalties. He's usually good for two really stupid momentum killing penalties a game.

Likable guy, good teammate. I wish his nothing but success. But I'm fine with moving on from him. Every coach he played for moved him too far up in the lineup and it drove me nuts.
He doesn't even average close to 1 penalty per game.

No need for the hyperbole. We get it, he can be frustrating.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Eller, NAK, Nuke, Burakovaky, Kadri, Helm, Georgiev, JMFJ. to a lessor extent.. Josh Manson. All players that HFboard wanted gone from their team.

Lehky, Colton and maybe Toews are the only two I think original fans had mostly good things to say about.
I really wish him all the best. Hope he kills it for the Avs, he’s a good dude.

But I’m not kicking him on his way out, I’ve wanted him off the team for a long time.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He doesn't even average close to 1 penalty per game.

It sure felt like 2 per game :laugh:

He's an NHL player for sure. He just needs to be put in the right place to succeed and realistically that is the 4th line. Anywhere and he's out of place.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I really wish him all the best. Hope he kills it for the Avs, he’s a good dude.

But I’m not kicking him on his way out, I’ve wanted him off the team for a long time.

For sure. Sometimes its just a chance of scenery or coaching system. Avs have a tendency of being better proscouts than the average hfboard fan though.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

Yep. This is the thing. His penalties are almost always just bad, I swear. So frustrating.

He will draw some penalties though and he will cause some damage in the bottom 6 with his speed.

He's not overly fluid, lacks legit puck skills / passing ability, and he's not as "gritty" post hip injury, but it was also his first full season since the injury, so maybe that part comes back if he gets comfortable

so Devils fans,
what's the money need to be to make this value vs overpay?

My guess is that term is short, so preference would be high 2s. If he is low 3s and it's a year or two, I don't think it's awful. Term is more important to be though

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Probably the “dumbest” player I’ve seen in the league. Still has (some) speed left, but frustrating player.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Devil's are a million times deeper at forward than the Avs. He may not have been the most liked on the Devil's but he's a good fit on the Avs who were severely lacking any semblance of depth last year.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Wood is a guy that will get breakaways or 1 on 1's and not make anything of it a lot of the time. He's also a bull in a china shop that can either help you or end up hurting you.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Probably the “dumbest” player I’ve seen in the league. Still has (some) speed left, but frustrating player.

Avs seems to love those types. Big fast and dumb. Probably just hoping the Makar, Toews, Byram, Girard transition game gets them to simplify their games down.

Our franchise C is also a bull in the china shop and probably the "dumbest" superstar in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad