Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] F Miles Wood signs with the Avalanche (6 years, $2.5M AAV)

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
This thread was pretty shocking at the signing and I was curious if there was any change in the reaction as we are half way through the season. He makes the Avs harder to play against, Tatar did not. I thought perhaps NJ was missing some of that tough to play against skills that he supplies the Avs.

Why would NJ miss it if Miles didn’t provide it?

Not sure why that is considered trolling to you. After all it is a discussion thread and there has been plenty of Devils fans able to explain why Miles Wood is not seen as missed without being assholes.

The same explanations that shocked you when he signed.

That could be said of almost any player that has success with a new team. He's looked more like the Miles Wood of old whenever I've watched Colorado this season though.

Yes, absolutely. Struggling player plays better with new team. Film at 11.

Reactions: HugeInTheShire

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
This thread was pretty shocking at the signing and I was curious if there was any change in the reaction as we are half way through the season. He makes the Avs harder to play against, Tatar did not. I thought perhaps NJ was missing some of that tough to play against skills that he supplies the Avs.

Not sure why that is considered trolling to you. After all it is a discussion thread and there has been plenty of Devils fans able to explain why Miles Wood is not seen as missed without being assholes.

His stats aren’t any different then they were in his NJ days, not counting when he was hindered by injury.

He’s a fun, likable player. His physicality and speed is notable. His tendency to both take and draw a ton of penalties isn’t a bad thing if you have good special teams. He gives you ~15 goals.

“Part of an amazing line” doesn’t mean a ton, he adds some nice elements, but his line-mates are likely doing more of the heavy lifting with play driving and definitely doing more defensively.

Sure looks like it.
IMG_3133.pngIMG_3134.pngIMG_3132.png

Wood had a 3.5m Qualifying Offer for 2022–23, the Devils took him to arbitration to get it lowered, they agreed to 3.2m before the hearing.

Not sure Fitz felt he could get him much lower, much less to 2.5m, particularly since Wood made 2.75m for 4 years starting in 2018-19. He broke out early with 19 goals so he got pretty well paid early on.

I really wouldn’t want Wood on a 6 year/2.5m either, not sure I need 13 years of Miles Wood.

Some Devils fans have a weird dislike of the guy, but it doesn’t matter now because that ship sailed. He was a UFA and he signed elsewhere.

So no, I personally have no new feelings about Miles Wood. Likable goofball, glad it’s working out in Colorado for him.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
What I remember Devils fans saying about Wood was the penalties he kept taking in the offensive zone I think. I'm not sure. Very similar to how Flyers fans warned us about NAK. Either way no need for a pissing contest Wood has been very good so far and if that 3rd line is healthy in the playoffs damn they're gonna be hard to play against. Of course we will need a 2nd line first :laugh:

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I would argue they'd be in a better position signing a player with toughness, like Miles Wood, than a expensive winger and giving Holtz and Mercer bigger roles. I understand Wood need a change of scenery, that has been driven home clearly.

Doesn't change my mind NJ would be better if they had more guys that are hard to play against.
The idea that they’d be in a better position with Wood’s “toughness” while they’re missing guys like Jack Hughes, Dougie Hamilon, Nico Hischier, Timo Meier, etc., for various periods of time is kind of comical. Losing Wood has exactly zero to do with New Jersey’s underperformance this year, especially given his direct replacement has been a better, more flexible player (Lazar).

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
What I remember Devils fans saying about Wood was the penalties he kept taking in the offensive zone I think. I'm not sure. Very similar to how Flyers fans warned us about NAK. Either way no need for a pissing contest Wood has been very good so far and if that 3rd line is healthy in the playoffs damn they're gonna be hard to play against. Of course we will need a 2nd line first :laugh:

So frustrating. Yes, he took quite a few.

He has always drawn penalties well enough to offset his own penalties for the most part, but man, last year....it was so frustrating with the offensive zone penalties.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Bowe Byrum

Nov 22, 2021
Would it surprise you to learn that most NJ fans don’t watch the Avs? The Wood we know is the one that played for us last year, and I can assure you we don’t miss him.

Yeah, you were trolling, if you want to talk about how much you love Miles Wood you can easily do that on the Avs board, but you wanted to get a reaction out of NJ fans.
he looks great on a contender instead of a pretender.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I’m starting to think Wood is riding a hot streak.

Let’s check, shall we?

His last 6 games:
IMG_3142.jpeg

He has 18 points (8G 10A) in 44 GP, so yeah, it looks like he’s on a hot streak.

Wood in 2022-23: 77 GP 13G 14A 27 points

The 12 games Wood scored 14 of those 27 total points (8G 6A).
IMG_3143.jpeg

IMG_3144.jpeg

He explodes for small stretches and then doesn’t produce much of anything for a longer stretch. (Which is perfectly acceptable for a bottom six guy.)

He’s not a different player this year. You can disagree with their reviews but anti-Wood Devils fans have seen this movie before.
IMG_3145.jpeg

Sounds like he fits well on his line. We’re all happy for you. Him PKing sounds fun. He never did that in NJ, but the Devils seem to prefer C or W/C on the PK over pure wingers.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Much like the Avs were happy to see JTC leave to another team, sometimes players just wear out their welcome come new contract time. Neither NJ nor COL have particularly developed a lot of players in the past, but neither team wanted to keep their player due to costs relative to historical performance.

But also equally as fair, that doesn't preclude said players from being valuable to their new look clubs for various reasons. Such as Colorado only having ever developed LOC as a bottom six winger in the past decade+. Hell we saw Graves do well for NJ after the trade with lower expectations on him, in Colorado he killed one of our playoff runs and had to carry that baggage.

Reactions: TrufleShufle

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I’m starting to think Wood is riding a hot streak.

Let’s check, shall we?

His last 6 games:
View attachment 813041

He has 18 points (8G 10A) in 44 GP, so yeah, it looks like he’s on a hot streak.

Wood in 2022-23: 77 GP 13G 14A 27 points

The 12 games Wood scored 14 of those 27 total points (8G 6A).
View attachment 813042
View attachment 813043

He explodes for small stretches and then doesn’t produce much of anything for a longer stretch. (Which is perfectly acceptable for a bottom six guy.)

He’s not a different player this year. You can disagree with their reviews but anti-Wood Devils fans have seen this movie before.
View attachment 813044

Sounds like he fits well on his line. We’re all happy for you. Him PKing sounds fun. He never did that in NJ, but the Devils seem to prefer C or W/C on the PK over pure wingers.

Hes been consistently fast, physical all year while scoring clutch goals with zero pp time. Its not really the production that matters, anyone can read game logs, but his eye test doesnt fit at all with what some jersey fans saying (that hes no longer a fast physical player).

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Hes been consistently fast, physical all year while scoring clutch goals with zero pp time. Its not really the production that matters, anyone can read game logs, but his eye test doesnt fit at all with what some jersey fans saying (that hes no longer a fast physical player).
I think some of this can be explained by simply understanding that Av fans are talking about what they see now and most Devil fans are talking about what they saw from Wood in the seasons that he played there. By the end of his tenure, he wasn't the fast physical player he once was. That doesn't mean that he hasn't once again found that extra gear in Colorado now. I think most Devil fans are happy seeing him succeed and play well again, but that doesn't change the fact that he came in like a lion and left like a lamb in NJ.

Last edited:

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

A lot of fans soured on Wood because we were paying him 3.2m to play on our 4th line last year.

Wood played 3 games in 2021-22 because of a hip injury and it took a while for him to get back to speed last season. He had a very long tough stretch mid-season.

I’ve was a Wood supporter/apologist, he creates a lot of his own offense as a volume shooter, which is what you need from a bottom six winger. He’s not dickish pest, but he’s an aggressive, disruptive physical presence with speed.

Wood signature move is accidentally plowing into opposing goalies and/or the goal post (which is how he’s gotten injured more than once).

I actually believe the Devils do miss his net front presence and he was one of the few recent Devils who could reliably tip pucks in.

Obviously the Devils fans who like him the least were the ones most eager to tell you he sucked and that your will hate that contract. (He was always fan favorite with the general public though.)

That said, I’m not that broken up that we didn’t sign him. I think the deal he signed makes more sense for the Avs than NJ and the only Devils center he arguably matched up well with right now was just arrested for sexual assault.

And again, even if a few Avs fans try to make rooting for him unpleasant, I’m glad he’s on a playoff team. Poor Adam Henrique went to the SC Finals as a rookie and then played in grand total of 4 playoff games in the following 11 seasons.

Here’s his NHL EDGE numbers for the last two seasons:
IMG_3150.jpegIMG_3151.jpeg

IMG_3153.jpeg
IMG_3154.jpeg

IMG_3155.jpeg
IMG_3152.jpeg

He had an up and down career before the last two years. He broke out with 19 goals in 16-17, had maybe his best season in 17-18 but his play dipped the next two years.

He did well with players like Blake Coleman and a healthy Stephen Noesen in 2017-18, having compatible players who cover for him defensively lets Wood really do his thing.

IMG_3157.pngIMG_3156.png

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
A lot of fans soured on Wood because we were paying him 3.2m to play on our 4th line last year.

Wood played 3 games in 2021-22 because of a hip injury and it took a while for him to get back to speed last season. He had a very long tough stretch mid-season.

I’ve was a Wood supporter/apologist, he creates a lot of his own offense as a volume shooter, which is what you need from a bottom six winger. He’s not dickish pest, but he’s an aggressive, disruptive physical presence with speed.

Wood signature move is accidentally plowing into opposing goalies and/or the goal post (which is how he’s gotten injured more than once).

I actually believe the Devils do miss his net front presence and he was one of the few recent Devils who could reliably tip pucks in.

Obviously the Devils fans who like him the least were the ones most eager to tell you he sucked and that your will hate that contract. (He was always fan favorite with the general public though.)

That said, I’m not that broken up that we didn’t sign him. I think the deal he signed makes more sense for the Avs than NJ and the only Devils center he arguably matched up well with right now was just arrested for sexual assault.

And again, even if a few Avs fans try to make rooting for him unpleasant, I’m glad he’s on a playoff team. Poor Adam Henrique went to the SC Finals as a rookie and then played in grand total of 4 playoff games in the following 11 seasons.

Here’s his NHL EDGE numbers for the last two seasons:
View attachment 813200View attachment 813195

He had an up and down career before the last two years. He broke out with 19 goals in 16-17, had maybe his best season in 17-18 but his play dipped the next two years.

He did well with players like Blake Coleman and a healthy Stephen Noesen in 2017-18, having compatible players who cover for him defensively lets Wood really do his thing.

View attachment 813202View attachment 813203

Part of whats behind the enthusiasm has a small sample size at the moment. He's on a line with others like him. All three have been bringinh it all year. But whats sort of started happening since Woods return from illness is that these guys are starting to show some actual shooting and passing skill. It could be a small sample size where they revert back. Or it could be that theyre emerging into something more than how they started the season.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Part of whats behind the enthusiasm has a small sample size at the moment. He's on a line with others like him. All three have been bringinh it all year. But whats sort of started happening since Woods return from illness is that these guys are starting to show some actual shooting and passing skill. It could be a small sample size where they revert back. Or it could be that theyre emerging into something more than how they started the season.

They're also just the default 2nd line with nuke gone and Lehkonen missing. Colten getting some PP time has done wonders for his confidence. LoC is just bringing it this year, good on every line hes on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad