Confirmed Trade: [COL/DET] Patrik Nemeth (50% retained) for 2022 4th round pick

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
I am actually shocked that they didn't include Bernier in that deal to fully go for the 2nd time is the charm strategy...

Not loving the cost or fit but its fine I guess. Better than overspending on Savard for sure...

To be fair he hasnt played a single game so fit is still to be determined

Springfield Isotopes

Dec 9, 2018
Byram 2 concussions+ another injury + Covid positive test today (talk about a cursed rookie season), EJ MIA for months now with no signs of returning, McDonald suspended for 2 games, Timmins just got back from injury probably down in the AHL till the end of the season to give him some stability and Bednar has been overplaying Toews, Girard and to a lesser extent Makar hard to make up for it because he doesn't trust the likes of Renouf, Burroughs, Gilbert or Pateryn enough...

So it made sense...

Now I fully expect the Avs to trade their 6th round pick in 2022 for the best goalie available for that on deadline day to make the "picks available in 2021 and 2022" fully symmetric. We are currently missing a 2nd, 4th and 6th in 2021 and a 2nd and 4th in 2022 now.

EDIT:

That said. It certainly looks like the Avs regret the Ian Cole deal right now...
For a 6th rounder you get A Dell from the Devils

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Those two guys were never involved in the ugly stuff in that rivalry, they were off limits on both teams and it was understood. No matter how heated that thing got, you had a hard time finding Wings fans that had anything but respect for Sakic and while I wasn't on the other side, I never felt Yzerman was hated on the Avs side of things either from what I could gather.

I know some Wings fans do, but I don't have a lot of animosity towards the Avs. I miss the heights of that rivalry, but it was contained to that era for me at least. I really like watching their current team and wish them well. With the way Yzerman and Sakic have always handled themselves, it isn't surprising that they don't see things that way, they just do what they think is best.

im in the same boat on the Avs side. I miss the rivalry but I don’t have any animosity towards the Wings anymore.

And yeah that respect of Sakic and Yzerman was there. I remember reading that story years later where a rookie Sean Avery tried to chirp Sakic and a Red Wing (who it was escapes me right now, it’s 6am :laugh: ) yanked him down and told him “you don’t get to speak to Mr. Sakic”

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
im in the same boat on the Avs side. I miss the rivalry but I don’t have any animosity towards the Wings anymore.

And yeah that respect of Sakic and Yzerman was there. I remember reading that story years later where a rookie Sean Avery tried to chirp Sakic and a Red Wing (who it was escapes me right now, it’s 6am :laugh: ) yanked him down and told him “you don’t get to speak to Mr. Sakic”

Brett Hull is the guy that yanked him down.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
first it giveth to Nemeth! now the Cup is ours. every other team should just forfeit their games and save some money.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Did Colorado scout Nemeth at all this year? The guy was solid in his first year in Detroit but he’s been our worst regular defenseman outside of second-half Djoos this season. And that bar is low. His poor play this season goes far beyond playing a role too big for his skill level - there have been some serious issues with Nemeth’s fundamentals this year.

I’m guessing it must have been a cap issue, cause Staal is probably the guy Colorado should’ve targeted for this role.

Having said that, there is absolutely the chance that Nemeth takes his head out of his ass in Colorado where there are actual expectations and actual rewards for playing well. You can never really underestimate how much playing for a bottom-feeder affects a player’s ability to focus and drive to play their best.

Side note: It’s weird, given I’m a Wings fan, but part of me has actually been excited for Colorado’s success.

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
Neat. Also is this the first direct trade between Colorado/Detroit?
Depends on if you include the Downie/Quincey/1st (that turned into Vasilevsky) trade...though that was pretty much entirely tampa's doing (I assume you don't include the Nordiques), if not, then yes...I think we still haven't traded with Vancouver though

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Did Colorado scout Nemeth at all this year? The guy was solid in his first year in Detroit but he’s been our worst regular defenseman outside of second-half Djoos this season. And that bar is low. His poor play this season goes far beyond playing a role too big for his skill level - there have been some serious issues with Nemeth’s fundamentals this year.

I’m guessing it must have been a cap issue, cause Staal is probably the guy Colorado should’ve targeted for this role.

Having said that, there is absolutely the chance that Nemeth takes his head out of his ass in Colorado where there are actual expectations and actual rewards for playing well. You can never really underestimate how much playing for a bottom-feeder affects a player’s ability to focus and drive to play their best.

Side note: It’s weird, given I’m a Wings fan, but part of me has actually been excited for Colorado’s success.
I think the fact that Nemeth knows the team, the coach and the system helps him a lot in Colorado. Besides, he's basically asked to be the 6th defensman or 7th. I'm sure he can do that.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I think the fact that Nemeth knows the team, the coach and the system helps him a lot in Colorado. Besides, he's basically asked to be the 6th defensman or 7th. I'm sure he can do that.

That’s absolutely why Colorado added him - I agree. I actually think that may be coloring their vision a lot. My point is more so that, with Colorado going for it, I’d be wary of adding a guy playing so poorly when you might be influenced by who the guy is. Still - I think there’s a case to be made that Nemeth played so poorly this year cause it simply beats a guy down to play hard for an organization as bad as Detroit right now. He’ll likely be fine - I just think Colorado could’ve found a better option at a similar price, even with familiarity being considered.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
We will see more of these 4th, 5th, 6th round deals than previous deadlines. Probably more than 2nd and 3rds being moved.

For the Avs it’s a solid pick up value wise. Don’t think they’re done on the back-end but wouldn’t expect anything significantly better. Just another depth move and obviously a goaltender. Whether that’s Bernier or someone else, we shall see.

For Detroit this will be the 3rd draft in a row with an abundance of picks. It’s likely they’ll start adding to the 22’ draft now as it’s really all they can do. Staal, Ryan, Bernier, Filpulla, Merrill and Glendening all likely to move. Glendening probably brings the most in return as he can play a significant role for a contender. A few who really could use a specific player like him. Still though, it’ll be a bunch of mid round picks in all likelihood that they can use to position themselves in both the 21’ and 22’ draft moving up and down.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
That’s absolutely why Colorado added him - I agree. I actually think that may be coloring their vision a lot. My point is more so that, with Colorado going for it, I’d be wary of adding a guy playing so poorly when you might be influenced by who the guy is. Still - I think there’s a case to be made that Nemeth played so poorly this year cause it simply beats a guy down to play hard for an organization as bad as Detroit right now. He’ll likely be fine - I just think Colorado could’ve found a better option at a similar price, even with familiarity being considered.

You’re not wrong I just think when we are talking about a guy who is going to be asked to be the #6 and kill penalties - the spectrum of “get a better option” is somewhat muted, because the role is so limited. And in that case I do think more value gets placed on system familiarity perhaps - I think that most team’s may have valued Nemeth at like a 5th and Sakic and Bednar were willing to push that up one round higher to get the guy they have seen fill the role solidly on this very team.

At the end of the day, it’s picking nits - it’s a fairly mundane mid-round pick for a fairly pedestrian depth rental at a reduced salary. The Avs get to reduce ice time for a few of their important defenders for the stretch run (which is the true value here for the Avs) while Detroit gets to pick an extra 18-year old Swedish kid in the ‘22 draft. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad