Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Darren Helm signs with the Avalanche (1 year, $1M)

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
The top of the roster is fine, provided Newhook transitions well. The loss of Timmins hurts since EJ will 100% get injured. He’s broken. And the third line isn’t good enough, it’s a real problem. Nuke is great; Compher and Jost cannot make up 2/3rds of a third line.
The team has a massive weakness in the bottom 6 C positions, and just lost two of their best 5v5 producing forwards from last year in Donskoi and Saad.

They are also taking a big risk with no legitimate RHD behind EJ to cover for his inevitable injuries.

Newhook may be able to pick up some slack to replace Donskoi but this roster doesn't look capable of matching up against the Tampa's and Vegas's of the league.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
The top of the roster is fine, provided Newhook transitions well. The loss of Timmins hurts since EJ will 100% get injured. He’s broken. And the third line isn’t good enough, it’s a real problem. Nuke is great; Compher and Jost cannot make up 2/3rds of a third line.
LOC is your other 3rd line wing. JTC is 4th line RW.

Jost is fine. Great metics outside the Vegas series.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
The team has a massive weakness in the bottom 6 C positions, and just lost two of their best 5v5 producing forwards from last year in Donskoi and Saad.

They are also taking a big risk with no legitimate RHD behind EJ to cover for his inevitable injuries.

Newhook may be able to pick up some slack to replace Donskoi but this roster doesn't look capable of matching up against the Tampa's and Vegas's of the league.
Donskoi was fools gold. He’s not going to shot anything close to 20% ever again in his career. Not much defensively either. Seattle did the Avs a big favor taking him.

They’ll miss Saad. Go sign Tatar to a one year deal. His play making will augment the 2nd line well with two scorers in Bura and Kadri.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Right now…

Landeskog - MacK - Rantanen
Newhook - Kadri - Burakovsky
Nuke - Jost - Compher
Helm - Maltsev - O’Connor
Kaut/Bowers/Wingerli

Toews - Makar
Girard - Johnson*
Byram - MacDonald
MacDermid?

Kuemper
Francouz

*for two weeks until he’s injured.
I feel bad for laughing at this :laugh:

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Right now…

Landeskog - MacK - Rantanen
Newhook - Kadri - Burakovsky
Nuke - Jost - Compher
Helm - Maltsev - O’Connor
Kaut/Bowers/Wingerli

Toews - Makar
Girard - Johnson*
Byram - MacDonald
MacDermid?

Kuemper
Francouz

*for two weeks until he’s injured.
Oh man if Johnson gets long term injured again (likely) the right side of our defence is in trouble without Timmins. We will have to overpay again, just like with Kuemper. I'm still glad we got Kuemper because getting a top end goalie is important after missing on Grub but it sucks to lose assets. At least we have stockpiled some. Would love another forward as well. Newhook should replace Saad production fine, but need someone to replace Donskoi. Bottom line is fine, Helm takes a PK role which is good.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
I don't have a problem with Jost either but we definitely need one more guy that can produce some offence there.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Oh man if Johnson gets long term injured again (likely) the right side of our defence is in trouble without Timmins. We will have to overpay again, just like with Kuemper. I'm still glad we got Kuemper because getting a top end goalie is important after missing on Grub but it sucks to lose assets. At least we have stockpiled some. Would love another forward as well. Newhook should replace Saad production fine, but need someone to replace Donskoi. Bottom line is fine, Helm takes a PK role which is good.
Timmins was more of a liability than an asset last season..

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Nothing wrong with having Helm on your 4th line. The main issue Wings fans always had with him was he was often used in a spot above his ability - top 6 winger, 2nd or 3rd line center, etc. But as a 4th line grinder/pk guy, it ain't a bad deal.

Reactions: cjm502

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Timmins was more of a liability than an asset last season..
I thought he was ok. I'm just saying it looks like a pretty big drop off on the depth chart there. But I guess they can also just add a lefty dman as well and push a guy to the right like they did last year if/when EJ goes down.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Nothing wrong with having Helm on your 4th line. The main issue Wings fans always had with him was he was often used in a spot above his ability - top 6 winger, 2nd or 3rd line center, etc. But as a 4th line grinder/pk guy, it ain't a bad deal.

That and his contract, which was a panic signing by Holland during the notoriously awful 2016 UFA class when he had the cap space from trading Datsyuk burning a hole in his pocket after he missed out on Stamkos.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I thought he was ok. I'm just saying it looks like a pretty big drop off on the depth chart there. But I guess they can also just add a lefty dman as well and push a guy to the right like they did last year if/when EJ goes down.
MacDonald had several moments in the sun. Best 7th D Avs have had in a while.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I liked Timmins a lot. But his skating is subpar and makes his ceiling 2nd pair at best. Nice creativity though.

I panicked every time he took a hit due to his concussion issues. He also didn’t PK. We didn’t lose Byram 2.0 yesterday. We lost Helleson 2.0.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Cheap 4th line guy that can PK. He’s just 34. He’s two years younger than PEB, whom the Avs had last year and was only so-so in a similar role. Also didn’t play a heavy game.
Yeah, I know it isn't completely nonsensical as a signing.

It's just a natural reaction I have to long time wings players. I'll likely grow to like Helm a lot.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Yeah, I know it isn't completely nonsensical as a signing.

It's just a natural reaction I have to long time wings players. I'll likely grow to like Helm a lot.
Defensively, he’s got strong metics. And he PKs. I like him as a PEB replacement of sorts.

Weast

May 16, 2011
Donskoi, Saad, Calvert,Bellemare are all gone....
But hey, at least we got Helm
The bottom 9 on this team is gutted jesus christ

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Donskoi, Saad, Calvert,Bellemare are all gone....
But hey, at least we got Helm
The bottom 9 on this team is gutted jesus christ
Kaut, Bowers, Newhook, Ranta. Some teams like Tampa promote from within. Teams that keep losing in round 2 rely on “vets” and waste draft picks on no bodies like Sods, Dubs and Nemeth. Then play them to poor results over younger guys like Byram.

Calvert.. retired and injured. PEB was blah. Donskoi couldn’t defend.

maybe it’s time the Avs stop being pu***** and play their draft picks.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Kaut, Bowers, Newhook, Ranta. Some teams like Tampa promote from within. Teams that keep losing in round 2 rely on “vets” and waste draft picks on no bodies like Sods, Dubs and Nemeth. Then play them to poor results over younger guys like Byram.

Calvert.. retired and injured. PEB was blah. Donskoi couldn’t defend.

maybe it’s time the Avs stop being pu***** and play their draft picks.

Tampa promote and develop from within, but always surround their team with tons of veteran talent.

Look at this offseason:

Rutta - $1.3m
Perry - $1m
PEB - $1m
Elliott- $900k
Maroon - $900k
Bogosian - $850k

Dudes bought in, signed for cheap. They've loaded up on cheap depth again. This helps insulate your young players.

If we're rolling out Newhook, Kaut, Jost, LOC, Maltsev, Ranta, etc... that's a recipe for disaster.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Personally between the Wing's bottom guys I think Avs would of been better off signing Glendening for $500k more, but he did get a two year contract.

Reactions: ElysiumAB

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Tampa promote and develop from within, but always surround their team with tons of veteran talent.

Look at this offseason:

Rutta - $1.3m
Perry - $1m
PEB - $1m
Elliott- $900k
Maroon - $900k
Bogosian - $850k

Dudes bought in, signed for cheap. They've loaded up on cheap depth again. This helps insulate your young players.

If we're rolling out Newhook, Kaut, Jost, LOC, Maltsev, Ranta, etc... that's a recipe for disaster.
Or you insulate with guys like Helm, Frankie, LOC and Nuke.

what’s a disaster is watching Nemeth hemorrhage the puck in his zone. Or Sods trail the play as Vegas scores the game tying goal and it’s his cover.

If you think playing Newhook or Jost is a bad idea, well I don’t know what to tell you. Jost was a much better player for us than Nieto. Pk improved significantly once Jost and Graves were inserted for EJ and Matt Nieto.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I agree with that. Unbiased opinion (as avs are not my team) but the bottom half (slightly over exaggerated) of roster is “meh”… would’ve said avs are cup contenders before offseason started but think there’s a little work here to be fore-front of that convo again.

The bottom 6 forward are better then last year though...

It's the 2nd line that looks weakest right now. And the 3C spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad