Confirmed Trade: [COL/CHI] Carl Soderberg for Josh Dickinson and Ryder Rolston

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
He wouldn't slot in more effectively than any of the forwards currently on the PP, so I can't see him playing there

You mean PK? If he can PK, I wouldn't mind him there. Mainly for his size. I like to have some variety on the special units, facing some teams, we might need more size at 3C and on PK. Match ups are key in the playoffs

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
The only thing interesting about Rolston is his last name. We were all super deflated we picked him when we did last draft.

Another interesting thing about Rolston is that Chicago was one of the few teams we leapfrogged when we traded up for him. And you don't do that in the 5th unless you have some kind of intel.....

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
The only thing interesting about Rolston is his last name. We were all super deflated we picked him when we did last draft.
Yeah I was none-too-pleased about that pick, especially since they traded up for him. I was pounding the table for Isaac Phillips who ironically went to Chicago 2 picks after Rolston. LHD is a strength right now, but with only Zhuravlyov in the pipeline at LHD right now the Avs could really have used a big and mobile LHD with all the raw tools to develop into something good 3-4 years from now. The Avs late-round drafting has been awful for a while, with the only notable exception recently being the Kovalenko pick, and Ambrosio if a 4th counts as a late pick.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Seems like a love hate relationship to me

Why? I’m on the trade forum. Their trades have been disappointing for a team that has a real chance at the cup.

Fan base has been talking up Sakic as the second coming. Acquiring Dubnyk, Nemeth and Soderberg to strengthen the depth heading into a supposed cup run is certainly not a good look.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Why? I’m on the trade forum. Their trades have been disappointing for a team that has a real chance at the cup.

Fan base has been talking up Sakic as the second coming. Acquiring Dubnyk, Nemeth and Soderberg to strengthen the depth heading into a supposed cup run is certainly not a good look.
I actually thought it was pretty funny, but don't get too upset when people don't like your poking fun lol, that's why you do it, right?

Sakic isn't really a "big move" kind of GM anyways. It's always these little here-and-there moves (unless his hand is forced). 3 deadlines of adding a pack of bandaids.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

That's fair, but Sakic already got Toews and Saad this off season so he had more than sufficiently loaded up. He's not of the mind set that every year is all in. You tend to kill your window with trading firsts for rentals and only proven winners should do so like Tampa.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
That's fair, but Sakic already got Toews and Saad this off season so he had more than sufficiently loaded up. He's not of the mind set that every year is all in. You tend to kill your window with trading firsts for rentals and only proven winners should do so like Tampa.

Is Nemeth an improvement on Cole?
Is Dubnyk an improvement?
Does Soderberg have anything left in the tank?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Nemo will probably cost us less goals than Cole.

Cole has proven time and again he is the kind of defender that gets away with his shit in the playoffs though.

It seems to me like Sakic made some moves to make a big deal and that it resulted in getting Dubnyk who while at one time was very good is a shell.

I dunno, feels like Sakic is pulling the Chevy card in Winnipeg. Too in love with his prospects and players to realize when to move everything to the center of the table.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Cole has proven time and again he is the kind of defender that gets away with his shit in the playoffs though.

It seems to me like Sakic made some moves to make a big deal and that it resulted in getting Dubnyk who while at one time was very good is a shell.

I dunno, feels like Sakic is pulling the Chevy card in Winnipeg. Too in love with his prospects and players to realize when to move everything to the center of the table.

Chevy went ahead and traded first round picks for rentals (Stastny and Hayes) and what did that get him? Thats exactly what I want the Avs to avoid doing.

Sakic is doing what Armstrong did; make the big trades in the off-season for Saad and Toews. Both are great moves that you are failing to acknowledge.

Which defender traded at this deadline is better than Devon Toews?

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Byram is better than Cole and every game he plays and develops, the more that gap will grow; I think Nemeth and Cole is a lateral. I like Cole more than most Avs fan though.

Soderberg if he does have anything left could be a steal. I've always liked him. Dubnyk shouldn't be allowed to play a game in the playoffs. He is going to be behind a Vezina Contender in Grubs that Sakic got for a song. Are you expecting him to get another Vezina contender for a 2nd round pick at the deadline? I mean, come on now.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

Cole caused more problems last year than he'll ever be worth. He ran into Grubauer in the Stadium Series game, causing the injury that flared up in the playoffs. He also checked Comeau into EJ's knee in that game, knocking EJ out of the playoffs. I did a little happy dance when he was traded, and wouldn't want him back for free.

And Dubnyk is an insurance policy, like Hutchinson was last year, and Hammond the year before. Worst case, he has more career playoff games than Johansson or Miska have total games.

Also, the Avs are one of the youngest teams in the league. What logic is there in moving everything to the center of the table now when we're poised to be competitive for the next decade? It's not like there's any moves the Avs could have made that would guarantee them the Cup this season, so having more chances at it is the more sensible path forward.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

Cole is probably better than Nemeth, but

Nemeth + Dubnyk + Byram getting playing time + the cap space the Avs needed all season is better than Cole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad