Confirmed with Link: [COL/CHI] Avs Acquire Carl Soderberg for J.Dickinson and R.Rolston

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Man he didn't even wait to see what his UFA offers were. Must have already made up his mind he was going home.

No wonder he looked checked out and disinterested. Kinda bothers me if I'm being honest.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Man he didn't even wait to see what his UFA offers were. Must have already made up his mind he was going home.

No wonder he looked checked out and disinterested. Kinda bothers me if I'm being honest.

I don’t think we need to look at it that way. More than likely he knew his time in the NHL was up after this season when he was regularly a healthy scratch on a Hawks team that had no center depth to speak of. I don’t think he was checked out per se, he just wasn’t NHL caliber anymore.

I think that’s way more on the Avs pro scouts doing an absolutely shitty job of not realizing that Soderberg was done.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don’t think we need to look at it that way. More than likely he knew his time in the NHL was up after this season when he was regularly a healthy scratch on a Hawks team that had no center depth to speak of. I don’t think he was checked out per se, he just wasn’t NHL caliber anymore.

I think that’s way more on the Avs pro scouts doing an absolutely shitty job of not realizing that Soderberg was done.

If he knew this was his last chance to win the Cup, I would have expected a little more effort.

To be fair though, Soda never really looked good in the playoffs.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The assets lost were almost nothing. A bottom six AHLer and a guy voted our 18th best prospect in our poll last summer, behind names like Steinburg and Mutala. They got him for free.

The biggest loss here isn't Dickinson and Rolston, it was the opportunity to get a better center that we passed on to get Soderberg for nothing instead.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If he knew this was his last chance to win the Cup, I would have expected a little more effort.

To be fair though, Soda never really looked good in the playoffs.

I dunno, he threw the body around plenty. Didn’t strike me like he was lacking effort, just looked abysmally slow. Like he just couldn’t keep up with the play at all. And he was insanely slow to begin with so I’m guessing he just finally lost the one step he had that kept him at an NHL level.

But I’ll also add that it wouldn’t be the first time an NHL player was acquired from a bad team and found himself to be in less than optimal game shape. Ray Ferraro admitted when the Blues traded for him from the Thrashers that he just kept running out of gas.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I dunno, he threw the body around plenty. Didn’t strike me like he was lacking effort, just looked abysmally slow. Like he just couldn’t keep up with the play at all. And he was insanely slow to begin with so I’m guessing he just finally lost the one step he had that kept him at an NHL level.

But I’ll also add that it wouldn’t be the first time an NHL player was acquired from a bad team and found himself to be in less than optimal game shape. Ray Ferraro admitted when the Blues traded for him from the Thrashers that he just kept running out of gas.

I don't want to rip on him because he was far from the problem, but how often did you see him driving the net and digging for rebounds?

I think we've talked about this a little before, but I think perhaps the biggest difference in the series was how much better the Knights battled to drive the net and how much better they defended their own net versus the Avs.

In the O zone this is mostly an effort issue. With Fleury giving up tons of rebounds pretty much all series, they should have been able to capitalize on some of them.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't want to rip on him because he was far from the problem, but how often did you see him driving the net and digging for rebounds?

I think we've talked about this a little before, but I think perhaps the biggest difference in the series was how much better the Knights drove the net and defended their own net versus the Avs.

In the O zone this is mostly an effort issue.

Well to be fair, it’s hard to dig around the net area for rebounds when you can’t generate a single, solitary shot on net to begin with.

But I’ll admit this isn’t the first time Big Carl didn’t put forth a big effort. That first season under Bednar he pretty much shut it down for a majority of the season.

I just feel like this time wasn’t an effort issue. He just wasn’t remotely good enough. Couldn’t keep up with the play and those few times he finally did, he couldn’t secure the puck. Too slow, too weak. Reminded me a lot of Iginla that final season.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I mean while never a speedster, its evident he's lost a lot of speed over the years. But I think the biggest reason other than age catching up on him for his struggles in the playoffs is that his his vision (I know, I know) it makes it just that much harder when everyone is one the puck and puck carrier so much damn quicker. Those so much less time and space.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016

Exactly. The same regarding Nemeth. Whoever came up with that ideas needs to go asap.

But i also would´ve expected Sakic to have a closer look and not trading away picks for nothing.

We had one of the worst trade-deadlines of all teams, period.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Exactly. The same regarding Nemeth. Whoever came up with that ideas needs to go asap.

But i also would´ve expected Sakic to have a closer look and not trading away picks for nothing.

We had one of the worst trade-deadlines of all teams, period.

It's tough to find Ferraris when you are shopping in Lada store. Sakic doesn't want to pay the price for the deadline acquisitions. Which is smart in some ways, some ways not. This year was definitely one to go for though. He lost one year of his window.

Sakic strength is patience and also weakness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad