Confirmed with Link: [COL/CHI] Avs Acquire Carl Soderberg for J.Dickinson and R.Rolston

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I stand by that the Avs scouts just are not very good past their first ~40 players. I hope it is getting better, but just need to see more quality in the later rounds.

Which teams do well past the first ~ 40 players in terms of consistently finding NHL talent? Is this a matter of finding the right scout to evaluate talent or the management team not being savvy enough in terms of evaluating the talent beyond that initial window? Perhaps a combination?

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Its clear reading through this that 70% of this board hasn't seen how well Carl has played in Chicago this season and only remember him not scoring in the 2019 playoffs. For what the Avs gave up to get him to play in the bottom 6 I don't understand some of the comments. All Carl needs to do is get the occasional goal and just not be a liability defensively. That's not much to ask for. This isn't 2019 when he was the Avs second line centreman.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I don’t understand the bashing Soda receives for the 2019 playoffs when he had a bad concussion late in the season.

I’m looking forward to his heavy game and stoic face on the 3rd line. He could be a monster with Nuke.
He was also playing high up on the roster when he shouldn't have been. This isn't 2019 anymore and Carl doesn't have to play that role with this version of the Avs.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Ottawa and Anaheim too.

It’s a huge advantage for these teams and something we need to do consistently. Ultimately I have to think it gives you cap flexibility if you have that pipeline.

The Avs have improved so much as an organization that this issue wasn’t previously at the forefront but IMO the team (organization) is at a point where it should be given attention.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think the Rolston move is a head-scratcher. Had a pretty good D-1 year, but never made any progress in his actual draft year, I can see why they traded up for him. But it's not too different, Scouting departments make wrong decisions all the time. Ottawa deemed Bowers expendable over Formenton and Batherson in the same draft, even though Bowers was their 1st rounder. Sometimes you draft them and hope you see some progress, but other prospects end up impressing more.

However, I agree with the odd picks like Steinburg and Anderson, those are complete whiffs and everyone knew they were going to bust the second they were drafted.

Funny snippet... Bowers and Formenton were basically right next to each other on the draft board, but Batherson was a pound the table guy. They went off their board because they liked how his development was going and he had a strong believer in the room despite him being an overager.

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
Not upset by this at all, glad Sakic didn't really haul anyone big in, I'm a firm believer of not disrupting chemistry when you're already the #1 team in the NHL. We're already going to have a log jam when some of these injured players get back in Byram, EJ, LOC, Calvert, and all 4 of those players make the Avs better. Joe covered the backup issue and got a depth defenseman, he gets a replacement for LOB and all of it for nearly nothing, well done.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Its clear reading through this that 70% of this board hasn't seen how well Carl has played in Chicago this season and only remember him not scoring in the 2019 playoffs. For what the Avs gave up to get him to play in the bottom 6 I don't understand some of the comments. All Carl needs to do is get the occasional goal and just not be a liability defensively. That's not much to ask for. This isn't 2019 when he was the Avs second line centreman.
Have you watched him a lot? What can you say about his game this season?

Reactions: The Kingslayer

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Rolston was probably our most tradeable prospects. We have many guys who are better than him in that tier of prospects, including Kovalenko, Stienburg, Mutala, Weiss, Beaucage, Ambrosio, etc. I'd even probably trade Rolston before Nils Aman even though I don't care much for Aman given how shallow we are at C compared to wingers. Zero loss here.

The only annoying thing with Rolston is that the Avs traded up for him, so it effectively cost a 5th + 6th to get Soderberg. But that's a sunk cost and you can only operate in today's currency. Still feels annoying that our scouts passed on guys like Isaac Phillips who went 2 picks after Rolston, because that would have been a more high-upside pick there.

This is pretty much the state of the team. Complaints or shall we call them comments about the team revolve around wasting 6th round picks and not trading for guys who weren't traded at the TDL anyways. I think we can say the team is in a pretty good spot if this is all that the posting forums can muster.

Richard Doll

Feb 18, 2020
Saint Albans, Vermont
This is pretty much the state of the team. Complaints or shall we call them comments about the team revolve around wasting 6th round picks and not trading for guys who weren't traded at the TDL anyways. I think we can say the team is in a pretty good spot if this is all that the posting forums can muster.

Ya, just think, we could be a 48 point team again with real problems.
We have the team with the leagues best record and we shored up a few weak spots and kept ourselves in good position to remain near the top for the next several seasons+.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm fine with this move based on the price, but it seems like an odd one. Like they weren't planning on bringing Soda back, but missed out on other targets, so they did this.

Where does he fit in the lineup? Does he take Jost's spot as 3C? Does he take Belly's spot as 4C? He doesn't usually play well on the wing.

I just hope he can somehow find another gear in the playoffs. It's not just 2019 he was bad, he wasn't good in 2018 either, and he was invisible with Arizona against the Avs in 2020.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm fine with this move based on the price, but it seems like an odd one. Like they weren't planning on bringing Soda back, but missed out on other targets, so they did this.

Where does he fit in the lineup? Does he take Jost's spot as 3C? Does he take Belly's spot as 4C? He doesn't usually play well on the wing.

I just hope he can somehow find another gear in the playoffs. It's not just 2019 he was bad, he wasn't good in 2018 either, and he was invisible with Arizona against the Avs in 2020.
Well he was paying 2C those years and that is just too much for him in a playoff series. But at 3/4C he should fare much better.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Well he was paying 2C those years and that is just too much for him in a playoff series. But at 3/4C he should fare much better.

I'm not sure he was a 2C for the Coyotes. I think Stepan and Dvorak might have been ahead of him.

I didn't notice him at all pretty much all series. Even defensively. Offensively, he had 2 points in 9 playoff games. Even if he was a 2C, that should make you more visible, not less.

It's better he'll be in a lesser role, but in the past he hasn't been too happy playing a lesser role, and has played worse when put in one. Hopefully he can still contribute in a positive way in the playoffs. If guys like Bellemare and Jost can do it, he should be able to.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm not sure he was a 2C for the Coyotes. I think Stepan and Dvorak might have been ahead of him.

I didn't notice him at all pretty much all series. Even defensively. He had 2 points in 9 playoff games. Even if he was a 2C, that should make you more visible, not less.

It's better he'll be in a lesser role, but in the past he hasn't been too happy playing a lesser role, and has played worse when put in one. Hopefully he can still contribute in a positive way in the playoffs. If guys like Bellemare and Jost can do it, he should be able to.
I mean the coyotes got thoroughly crapped on last year, they made every coyote look bad. But I more or less meant with the Avs, he was playing 2C and just wasn’t good enough for that role in the playoffs.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Soda and Nuke together on the third line makes a lot of sense. Soda is a forecheck machine at times. He's not fast but he takes incredible lines towards players and knows where to be.

Nuke on the other hand is a good forechecker with speed but he is an insane back checker. He reads who to pick up exceptionally well and knows how to break up plays.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Which teams do well past the first ~ 40 players in terms of consistently finding NHL talent? Is this a matter of finding the right scout to evaluate talent or the management team not being savvy enough in terms of evaluating the talent beyond that initial window? Perhaps a combination?

Edit

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Soda will be the 4th line C I’m pretty sure and he’s definitely overqualified for that role. We’ll probably roll Bellemare - Soderberg - Compher/O’Connor

Reactions: Richard88

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

I didn't notice him at all pretty much all series. Even defensively. Offensively, he had 2 points in 9 playoff games. Even if he was a 2C, that should make you more visible, not less.

I mean he seemed to do ok when playing 3C with Nieto and Comeau for two seasons, and while that line did technically act as a "2B" line, they were still primarily a checking line.

Will he be given the same responsibilities? Probably not. I do wonder where he starts out given Jost's recent 3C success and Bellemre as the 4C.

Reactions: Richard88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad