Confirmed with Link: [COL/CBJ] Ryan Stanton for Cody Goloubef

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
IMO CG is fine 7-8... not somebody you want playing everyday, but somebody who can step in on the bottom pairing when called upon. The 18-20 minutes range certainly doesn't suit him.

I say play him enough games to gain the ability to expose him (only needs 23 more) and sign him to a very cheap (read buriable) contract to help the negotiations with Wiercioch (or just let him go).

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It did? Genuinely curious as to how so and what evidence fans are seeing of that.

And to be clear, former Blue Jackets players are not his buddies, they're much closer to former employees. I don't think the nepotism argument holds any water here, especially when the guys he brings in are so obviously devoid of even a modicum of skill.

I mean an improvement in a development system isn't something that's gonna happen overnight. Like Bednar said the Rookie Tourmament and stuff is a good step, hopefully we can see more player like Greet coming through our system and absolutely maximizing their potential.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I know it pays to look at the positives sometimes, but is that enough for you? As a long-time in-depth fan of this hockey club, is a nice rookie camp and tournament enough to justify the complete ineptitude in every other category that we've witnessed this season? Perhaps I'm being short-sighted but I don't see what anyone on our management is bringing to the table at this point.

It's a valid question. For me, I choose to look at things a certain way but I totally understand if and when people don't see things the same way as I do and I won't judge them for being impatient or fed-up.

I was questioning certain decisions that were being made with this team like 10 games ago until Frenchy posted what was said by Quebec reporter François Gagnon basically confirmed my suspicions:

The management group decided this off-season that this season wasn't going to be a playoff year no matter if we miss by 6 points or by 18 points and made decisions according to that. Too much deadweight, not enough depth.

1) That's likely a HUGE reason behind Roy quitting instead of coming back as coach. He likely wanted to keep adding and try to make the playoffs, flawed roster or not.

2) That's why we signed a bunch of cast-offs and buy-outs as warm bodies to fill our NHL roster : Tyutin, Weircioch, R.Bourque, etc. It wasn't because they truly thought these guys were going to be the difference (thank God!) and help us get over the hump.

3) When they promoted AJ Greer to the Avs and played him for 5 games and during those 5 games, he looked much better than 3-4 of the guys we have on this roster on a nightly basis and then they demoted him...I thought to myself..."what the hell? this is exactly the kind of guy we need, who forechecks & competes hard...don't the Avs want to win???".

Having John Mitchell center Duchene and Rantanen was just ridiculous. This is not the way you lineup an NHL roster. Mitchell has 1 goal zero assists in 26 NHL games, there is ZERO reason to give him 2nd line minutes. There's another 'questionable' decision that really left me wondering what the hell was going on.

So for me, having the notion confirmed by a reputable reporter really helped me come to terms with this year's Avs and allowed me to see things for what they are. When you take a step back and analyze everything, this is just SO much more preferable of a mindset than the old 'hey, let's keep what we have and make a run at the playoffs anyways'. Because that 'going for it' mindset when you don't have the pieces to compete means that you truly DON'T KNOW where you are at and you don't know what to do and you're just content spinning your wheels. Sakic & Co. know where this team is truly at and they know they've got a lot of work to do to overhaul this team.

I watched the game last night and I had a smile on my face. Particularly because of the play of one Nikita Zadorov. No he's not perfect and yes, he'll make mistakes but I just love his game, what it's become and what is still there to come.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I agree with you about the status of the team and management's attitude, Bender, but still, even with all the plugs, we should be at least a mildly entertaining team to watch. Even if the plan is to tank, you don't go full ****** and lose every game to get there.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
3) When they promoted AJ Greer to the Avs and played him for 5 games and during those 5 games, he looked much better than 3-4 of the guys we have on this roster on a nightly basis and then they demoted him...I thought to myself..."what the hell? this is exactly the kind of guy we need, who forechecks & competes hard...don't the Avs want to win???".

I'll reason to say that was the best the Avs have looked in any 5 game stretch this season aside from the opening 5 games. The bottom fell out in that Edmonton game, IMO and then they got rid of him.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
AJ looked better than most because he actually played with energy, but he isn't ready for the big show IMHO. Let him stay in the AHL for the entire year even though the situation there isn't rosy as well, and then let him earn a spot in camp, hopefully they go with a full youth movement next year and give kids a chance after they get rid of dead weight.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The only reason I would like Greer and Compher to be with the Avs after the TDL is to adjust to the NHL so that they are ready by the start of next season which should help in having a better start next year.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
You know the season is boring when every time you come onto HF the most recently bumped thread is one about Cody Goloubef.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
You know the season is boring when every time you come onto HF the most recently bumped thread is one about Cody Goloubef.

First time I saw this thread pop back up a couple of days ago, I thought oh God...we swapped them back again. :laugh:

I think we did that with McAmmond and the Flames (part of the Drury fiasco) and he had to go to the AHL for the rest of the season as a result.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad