Confirmed Trade: [COL/CAR] Caleb Jones for Cal Burke

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Before this trade, Carolina only had 16 healthy forwards available (12 in the NHL and 4 in the AHL or ECHL).

It gives them an extra option and the player already has a spot secured at the AHL level.
Doesnt this save them money? Jones is more expensive since hes on a one way

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Doesnt this save them money? Jones is more expensive since hes on a one way

Somewhat, but the trade was a lot more about giving Caleb Jones an opportunity for NHL icetime (again, the Jack Johnson spot is IMO begging for competition) than it was about saving a few hundred thousand. The Canes are no longer in the cheapskate phase as a franchise.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Jones was already loaned to Colorado’s AHL team, guessing they’ll do the same for Burke so no actual movement happened? So two guys who got traded for one another are still teammates.
Yeah, the difference is which NHL team each can be called up to.

Still an odd situation. Anyone remember if it happened much back in the day where NHL teams shared AHL teams pretty regularly?

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
I really don't understand why Colorado get another LD
They are stack at this position.
Toews Byram Girard Johnson Macdermid Jones Malinski Fairbrother Schu...
Someone need to leave via trade.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
It makes perfect sense. They don't have a ton of depth at the position. Most of the guys you listed there suck. It provides some needed competition to knock JJ out of the lineup. MacDermid should never be playing defense. Malinski can marinate in the AHL.

I think Caleb Jones' mobility will fit in better with how the Avs play as well.

Girard can and will play RD if Jones is in the lineup. I would like to see:
Bryam - Makar
Toews - Girard
Jones - Manson

Very deep blueline group now.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Jones is probably not THAT much worse than Ryan Murray playing 30 games for the Avs during their cup year.

Cal Burke really just cannot get ice time with even quite a few AHLers ahead of him.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
It makes perfect sense. They don't have a ton of depth at the position. Most of the guys you listed there suck. It provides some needed competition to knock JJ out of the lineup. MacDermid should never be playing defense. Malinski can marinate in the AHL.

I think Caleb Jones' mobility will fit in better with how the Avs play as well.

Girard can and will play RD if Jones is in the lineup. I would like to see:
Bryam - Makar
Toews - Girard
Jones - Manson

Very deep blueline group now.

Girard is a lot better on the left side. And it’s not a certainty Bednar will play Jones over Johnson. They traded for Johnson last year.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
From Jack Johnson onward they're pretty much all equal in terms of NHL skill. MacDermid can fight so he's likely got the most value out of all of those.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
And they trade him to another team with a completely stacked D lineup.

He might steal JJ's job at 6D when JJ inevitably sucks ass

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
Girard - JJ/Jones/Malinski

Pretty sure it’s because the jones family are from Denver?

Anyways, side question, what’s the projection look like for Byram this year? Will he break out? Over under 50 points?

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Anyways, side question, what’s the projection look like for Byram this year? Will he break out? Over under 50 points?

Depends on if he stays healthy or not. Currently he's not on either of the Avs PP1 or PP2 units so whatever production he gets will once again have to be at 5v5.

Under 50 points for sure. Hard to do that as a defenseman with essentially no PP time.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
From Jack Johnson onward they're pretty much all equal in terms of NHL skill. MacDermid can fight so he's likely got the most value out of all of those.
Nah macdermid sucks and he will only play forward this year as a face puncher. I do think Jones,Malinski and Hunt have some similarities, but theres some nuance. Jones and Malinski are better skaters, Malinski is RHD, Hunt is the most savy and best shot, Jones it physically the biggest. Depending on the situation and who is playing best/healthiest with the Eagles will dictate who goes up. Not a bad problem to have.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Pretty sure it’s because the jones family are from Denver?

28 to 35 points depending if he gets some PP time. Solid second pairing defender. But very clearly establishes this year that he's no top pairing guy.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Narrator: Here, Carolina had too much depth
He didn't play very well in camp or preseason for us and didn't seem like a fit for Rod's system. If he fit better I think he would've stuck as an 8/9 after clearing waivers. Also honestly could just be doing Caleb a solid as he has a better chance to play in COL than with the Canes and they are a contender too. His only path to any playing time here would've been multiple injuries ahead of him.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Smart move by Colorado to acquire a 7D via trade after waivers rather than directly on waivers. That avoids adding a contract and also keeps roster flexibility since Jones already cleared waivers.

Would have preferred a RHD, especially one who can PK, but a 7D is hardly anything to nitpick about.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Smart move by Colorado to acquire a 7D via trade after waivers rather than directly on waivers. That avoids adding a contract and also keeps roster flexibility since Jones already cleared waivers.

Would have preferred a RHD, especially one who can PK, but a 7D is hardly anything to nitpick about.

It depends on who ends up PKing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad