GDT: Col @ Car | 5pm MT | Greetings (The Emergency GDT)

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Once again preventable mistakes lead to another Avs loss.

1st goal was on Georgiev. Just a bad goal. Wasn’t unlucky at all. He can’t seem to go more than a few games without giving up a soft one. I don’t get it. It’s not a workload issue or a talent issue. It’s a focus issue. He loses focus. I just don’t understand why he can’t figure out how to focus for more than a game or two in a row. Just bear down, your career, and the team’s chances depend on it.

2nd goal is on Toews for the bad stick penalty on the forecheck that led to the man open 6 on 5.

3rd goal was on Makar and Byram. Long shift because Cale turned the puck over three times, then missed the bouncing puck trying to clear which led to the pass back door for an open net. Then Byram got fooled by Necas losing him for just a second right as the puck was coming to him. Just too many errors on the same play.

4th goal was on Drouin for the careless penalty, and Parise who got caught puck watching on the PK for just a split second and let Bunting sneak into the slot uncontested. Interesting that Bednar has a newcomer killing penalties so early. Was last game too. Don’t usually see that from a coach, because it takes time to learn a new PK system.

5th goal was on the ref for thinking a slash on the stick, and then glancing off the hand that Jarvis was using to reach for Mikko’s stick to shield it, when he wasn’t even on a breakaway or in the act of shooting, should be awarded an automatic goal.

Game was there for the taking, but you can't expect to beat good teams, while making that many mistakes. They have to clean this up before the playoffs.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

amigo

Mar 20, 2021
How about our PP that was horrendous. Something needs to be done with those lines, Rantanen on C pronto.

Reactions: xAvsx89

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Avs aren’t bringing anything with Johansen on the ice. He’s effectively killing any line that he’s on. I really can’t understand why Sakic and CMac are allowing this to go on. He’s noticeably the worst player on the ice.

Edit: 3 assists in his last 15 games, zero goals this calendar year. Just atrocious.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah, MacKinnon and Makar with off nights, and chances are the Avs are gonna lose these days. They've been carrying the team all year.

Selfishly wish they had more time off during the All Star break to help reset. They've played a lot of hockey, and even Bednar has admitted he's played Nate too much lately.

Frankly I think Mikko's not-great play is part of the problem. I don't think he's been as horrid as others on here but he's clearly capable of a lot more and with the opposition clearly doing everything possible to shut down 29, 96 isn't exactly stepping up.

Mind you, this is more on the fact that there is literally NO second line center to speak of, but having two legit scoring threats on the ice at the same time to worry about would force the opposition to spread out more.

How about our PP that was horrendous. Something needs to be done with those lines, Rantanen on C pronto.

I most certainly would not put Rants at C the way he's playing right now.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Frankly I think Mikko's not-great play is part of the problem. I don't think he's been as horrid as others on here but he's clearly capable of a lot more
Your bar must be pretty damn low then. For anything outside of point production he's been really, really bad the whole season.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Your bar must be pretty damn low then. For anything outside of point production he's been really, really bad the whole season.
download (4).png

I realize this is not a definitive assessment of his year so far, but it kinda sums up Mikko in a nutshell. He's been absolutely atrocious defensively, but still elite offensively. So in all still a good player, but he leaves us wanting because we know he can be dominant when he wants to be. But I still would not call him "really, really bad," he hasn't been that. Frustrating AF, yes, but that's still not bad.

You want to see bad? THIS is bad.
1707501301997.png

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
5th goal was on the ref for thinking a slash on the stick, and then glancing off the hand that Jarvis was using to reach for Mikko’s stick to shield it, when he wasn’t even on a breakaway or in the act of shooting, should be awarded an automatic goal.
Nah, it was a legit slash because it was on the stick or hands with as much force as possible, without ever touching the puck. That was the right call.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Nah, it was a legit slash because it was on the stick or hands with as much force as possible, without ever touching the puck. That was the right call.
Aaaand ... who cares= Game was lost anyway.

We got 6 PPs and couldn't do a damn thing with it. We are 0/12 since the break - cooold as ice.

Reactions: S E P H

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Makar probably had his worst game with the puck. Many turnovers from him last night.

LMAO at firing Bednar. He is far from the issue. He is not being tuned out. As Pierce has shown the team is still playing very good defensively. He needs a 2nd line. At this point I seriously believe that guys like Pavel or Ivan (needs to be signed) would be better than Ryjo. One of those guy would provide more sustained pressure in the offensive zone and play better defense than Ryjo. This in turn would allow Bednar to roll all lines better and keep the top guys more fresh. Obviously the aim is to get a 2C better than Rosco but until CMac finds somebody IMO Mack-Rosco-Ivan-Olofsson would be much better than Mac-Rosco-Ryjo-Olofsson. Ryjo kills the tempo of his line. His can only be on the ice for about 20 secs because Ryjo is done by then. Call up a guy that can at least keep up with Bednar's system. That alone would be an improvement until CMac finds a solution.

When your goalie constantly gives up 4+ goals you are going to lose some games when the offense goes cold.

The PP was not good last night but you have to give credit where it is due. The Canes PK was fantastic. They were all over our guys and the Avs didn't adjust. Our PP is best when they have space because they are slow to move the puck especially Mikko. Put a lot of pressure on them and they lose the puck constantly.

God do we miss Nuke!!!!!!!

Reactions: The Moops

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He's not even pulling off risky moves. He's just handing the puck off every chance he gets. He's also completely lost in coverage every time. I think part of the problem is that Bednar doesn't have him with a regular partner at all. It seems like he's going out with a different D man every shift.

Yeah Byram's not playing a risky game at all. This narrative is getting so out of hand, people are saying it even when they admit they didn't watch the game.

As you mention he usually defers to his D partner with the puck now. He doesn't even seem to want the puck to make plays or lead rushes like he's capable of.

It’s so obvious to me that the problem is he’s playing with zero confidence right now, and it's led to him playing too passive. For those that wanted to see him play that way, this is what you get.

He doesn’t play on instinct, he overthinks plays in the D zone, and he makes mistakes.

When he plays on his toes, and plays with confidence, he plays on instinct, you don’t see these mistakes in the D zone, and he creates lots of chances and puts up plenty of goals and points.

That said, Cale was just as much to blame on that goal for turning the puck over three times and then in his own words trying too much of a high risk play trying to swat the bouncing puck.

Girard was quite good in this game, but he also lost his man in almost the exact same fashion as Bo later on, there just wasn't a wide open net to shoot at. Toews also took a bad penalty that lead to the 6 on 5 goal.

The D core as a whole just needs to cut down on these mistakes before the playoffs. Especially when Goergie isn't always able to bail them out, which compounds the problem. Hard to win games with a mistake prone D core and a goalie that occasionally gives up soft goals.

Reactions: Bowe Byrum

Bowe Byrum

Nov 22, 2021
Yeah Byram's not playing a risky game at all. This narrative is getting so out of hand, people are saying it even when they admit they didn't watch the game.

As you mention he usually defers to his D partner with the puck now. He doesn't even seem to want the puck to make plays or lead rushes like he's capable of.

It’s so obvious to me that the problem is he’s playing with zero confidence right now, and it's led to him playing too passive. For those that wanted to see him play that way, this is what you get.

He doesn’t play on instinct, he overthinks plays in the D zone, and he makes mistakes.

When he plays on his toes, and plays with confidence, he plays on instinct, you don’t see these mistakes in the D zone, and he creates lots of chances and puts up plenty of goals and points.

That said, Cale was just as much to blame on that goal for turning the puck over three times and then in his own words trying too much of a high risk play trying to swat the bouncing puck.

Girard was quite good in this game, but he also lost his man in almost the exact same fashion as Bo later on, there just wasn't a wide open net to shoot at. Toews also took a bad penalty that lead to the 6 on 5 goal.

The D core as a whole just needs to cut down on these mistakes before the playoffs. Especially when Goergie isn't always able to bail them out, which compounds the problem. Hard to win games with a mistake prone D core and a goalie that occasionally gives up soft goals.
That's why I mention Pratt ,if he's telling him how to play it's wrong. The whole d core needs to play nore risky and on their toes, Makar isn't doing it either. Very strange

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That's why I mention Pratt ,if he's telling him how to play it's wrong. The whole d core needs to play nore risky and on their toes, Makar isn't doing it either. Very strange

Cale just hasn't been 100% all year probably.

Looked like that speed skating drill at the ASG bothered him more than just winded him. He looked in pain. They probably have to do a lot to manage his hip issues every single day.

He also nearly broke his ankle and tore his MCL when he toe picked and had his leg pushed from behind in this game. That was a scary moment.

I like Pratt, and his success so far earns him plenty of leeway for me, but I agree, I don't think they've handled Byram properly so far. He's the primary guy they shift to his off side because they don't trust Girard or JJ to do it, and even though he's ok at it, it still has a negative impact on his game and prevents him from being his best.

Bo also needs more time at the point of PP2 IMO. I don't understand what they see in Toews or Girard there. They're much better 5v5 than they are on the PP. Almost every time Bo's run PP1 while Cale was out though, he's looked quite good, better than Toews or Girard at it. He's scored some nice goals too.

He's also still their go to swiss army knife to play multiple roles. Even though G scored a nice goal last game, and got another flukey one this game, Bo was still the guy they paired with Cale to come back, and ended up playing 1:25 more than Girard.

It's fine that they're taking this slow, kind of old school defer to the vets approach, because Bo's still young. As long as they don't give up on him before they put him in a position to succeed and see what they actually have first.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
View attachment 817004
I realize this is not a definitive assessment of his year so far, but it kinda sums up Mikko in a nutshell. He's been absolutely atrocious defensively, but still elite offensively. So in all still a good player, but he leaves us wanting because we know he can be dominant when he wants to be. But I still would not call him "really, really bad," he hasn't been that. Frustrating AF, yes, but that's still not bad.

You want to see bad? THIS is bad.
View attachment 817011
Holy mother.

Reactions: missionAvs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad