Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Avs sign Cale Makar to 3 year ELC

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
Burns a year of ELC regardless if he plays.

If he plays, will need to be protected in expansion draft. So still a decision to be made.. but I think they do it.

StonedAF

Mar 21, 2019
Yes he can. Be interesting to see how large a role he’s given right off the bat though.
He's got to be at least a bump on who ever is playing in the 6 d. He's just so skilled, his skating and offense are NHL ready for sure.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Can he play? I'll be watching the next game if so
Maybe not game 3, but very likely in game 4. Kid has to fly in from Buffalo. He should practice once with the team.

He gets to burn an elc year because the Avs are in the playoffs. I don't think he would qualify for the ED given his age.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
stop_penis_erect_archer.gif
TMI

Reactions: MacBradley and cgf

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Good signing for COL.

Some people might criticize them for burning a year, or burning an expansion protection spot, but the way I see it playoffs are important and this is like giving up an asset for a rental.

I haven't watched Makar in College, so I am only going off of the many reports/opinions of hockey analysts/publications, but it sounds like he should step in and make a difference in some form right away.

Whatever the difference is between the value of their now best projected unprotected player vs their previous best unprotected player, that's the cost of this "rental".

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He's got to be at least a bump on who ever is playing in the 6 d. He's just so skilled, his skating and offense are NHL ready for sure.
His defense is probably NHL ready aswell, hes so f***ing good. This is like a deadline rental for the avs.

Reactions: MacBradley

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The only question is, does Makar make the Avs a better team right now? Does he give you a better shot than Nemeth (or Barberio/Graves if Girard is hurt)?

It’s the playoffs. This is everything you work for. You’re going to do everything you can to win. If that means burning an ELC year, burn it. Deal with the repercussions later.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
If he plays even one game it's burns a year on the ELC and makes him expansion eligible.

Regardless, nice they were able sign their superstud prospect out of college. He has a real good shot at being the 2nd best player from his draft behind Petterson and right there tied with Heiskanen.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I'm sort of dubious on burning an expansion draft slot for a few playoff games, especially as Sakic did the bare minimum to improve the team over the last year (so he can't exactly claim he's 'all in' and just wants to win). But, going back to college for this past season was Makar's choice. The Avs wanted him to join the team last season and were prepared to burn his eligibility anyways, so they clearly don't particularly care about a draft two years away. I'm still incredibly excited to see him obviously...he's being tossed straight into the fire about as hard as anyone can.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacBradley and cgf

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
So no 9 games limit or whichever it works usually? Once he is signed, a year of ELC burned, even if it was for few play-off games?

Anyway, hopefully its worth it.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
This appears to be the fix for ensuring bluechip college players are signed. A one year bonus! Habs did it with Poehling...

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Pretty excited to see this kid in the big leagues. Kind of sucks that he'll become expansion draft eligible but that goes out the window given the circumstances. Playoffs baby!

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Burns a year of ELC regardless if he plays.

If he plays, will need to be protected in expansion draft. So still a decision to be made.. but I think they do it.

Good signing for COL.

Some people might criticize them for burning a year, or burning an expansion protection spot, but the way I see it playoffs are important and this is like giving up an asset for a rental.

I haven't watched Makar in College, so I am only going off of the many reports/opinions of hockey analysts/publications, but it sounds like he should step in and make a difference in some form right away.

Whatever the difference is between the value of their now best projected unprotected player vs their previous best unprotected player, that's the cost of this "rental".

If he plays even one game it's burns a year on the ELC and makes him expansion eligible.

Regardless, nice they were able sign their superstud prospect out of college. He has a real good shot at being the 2nd best player from his draft behind Petterson and right there tied with Heiskanen.

If he plays, he needs to be protected in the expansion draft. It better be worth it

Y’all are incorrect. While yes a year of his elc gets burned, he does not become expansion eligible unless he plays 10 games or more. He burns a year off the elc regardless of playing or not as he signed for this season and is now eligible to play. I would assume he prob negotiated that just like Quinn Hughes did. Quinn hughes is not eligible for the expansion draft after playing 5 games. Had he not played any games a year of his elc would have been burned as he negotiated that. Same with Jake kielly. A year of his elc is has been burned even though he has yet to play a professional game. He signed for the 2018-19 season and thus was ineligible for the ahl given he signed past the roster cut off date. He was however eligible to play for the Canucks but they chose not to play him. Still burned a year off his contract

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Y’all are incorrect. While yes a year of his elc gets burned, he does not become expansion eligible unless he plays 10 games or more. He burns a year off the elc regardless of playing or not as he signed for this season and is now eligible to play. I would assume he prob negotiated that just like Quinn Hughes did. Quinn hughes is not eligible for the expansion draft after playing 5 games. Had he not played any games a year of his elc would have been burned as he negotiated that. Same with Jake kielly. A year of his elc is has been burned even though he has yet to play a professional game. He signed for the 2018-19 season and thus was ineligible for the ahl given he signed past the roster cut off date. He was however eligible to play for the Canucks but they chose not to play him. Still burned a year off his contract

He becomes expansion eligible if he plays one game, per uncle Bob.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad