Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Avalanche sign F Ben Meyers to ELC (2 years, $912.5k AAV)

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Should have gone to a real team - an original 6 team.

And if he wasn't going to go for a franchise with history then go with a team you can grow with. Arizona, Anaheim, Montreal, Detroit. Buffalo would be good but they have 2 centres already.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

And if he wasn't going to go for a franchise with history then go with a team you can grow with. Arizona, Anaheim, Montreal, Detroit. Buffalo would be good but they have 2 centres already.

Um... Colorado has more history than anyone in your list there other than Detroit (who is admittedly struggling now) and Montreal (who is admittedly struggling now).

I'm salty that Detroit didn't land this guy and that he went to f***ing Colorado instead, but come on, man.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

A real team? Opposed to those other 26 fake teams?

Ambisextrous

Apr 17, 2012
Halifax

Rather a chance at playing with a good team than playing with trash on a trash team with trash playing a bit more every game.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
this is both infuriating and hilarious, from a MIN fan perspective. Well, from this MIN fan perspective.

• Haha
Reactions: Azrael89

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
There is a good chance Avs will continue to be a good team going forward but there is also a looming cap crunch when MacKinnon gets his extension and being a solid player on an ELC helps address team needs.
his ELC will end at the end of next year so it won't be of that much help, if any at all.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Myers is like the $20 bill that you see on the sidewalk, so you start walking over to pick it up, but then a strong breeze comes through and blows it out onto the road, so you shrug your shoulders and move on with your day.

Nice to have in your pocket, but not something that's going to change your life in anyway.

Depending on what you spend it on $20 can ruin your life easily.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
That’s alright, only thing he can help a team do is win a regular season crown and zero success in the playoffs. So perfect for the Avs.

1649888333075.gif

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
his ELC will end at the end of next year so it won't be of that much help, if any at all.

He's likely penciled in for the 3C spot next year, and the fact that he'll be on an ELC will give the Avs a lot more cap flexibility to re-sign and add guys in the off-season.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Makes sense for him. Colorado will be in a cap crunch over the next couple of years giving him the best chance to make the line up and giving him a great shot at the cup early in his career

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Meyers certainly helps with the cap situation for next year. Doesn't really do much beyond that though and we're still screwed when the Mack contract kicks in, but it will at least give us another good shot at a deep run next year before regression hits.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Rich get richer.

I don't blame the kid -- he gets to go to a team that has as good as a chance as any to win a cup, and the other teams in that category are more cash strapped or may not have the openings in the lineup (like Florida). So it's a great landing spot for him personally.

Avs don't have great center depth organizationally so it's a perfect situation for Meyers. With Kadri likely moving on as an UFA and Newhook looking more like a winger (imo) both the 2C and 3C jobs will be up for grabs this coming season.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Virtually all the scouts I’ve seen/heard talk about him think he’s a W at the NHL level, not a C. I think there’s a much better chance Newhook grows into that role.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Myers is like the $20 bill that you see on the sidewalk, so you start walking over to pick it up, but then a strong breeze comes through and blows it out onto the road, so you shrug your shoulders and move on with your day.

Nice to have in your pocket, but not something that's going to change your life in anyway.
Except the $20 landed at the feet of the guy who bullies you and who has already accomplished more in life than you and has a bigger bank account than you and now he's off to the liquor store to buy a lotto ticket.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I was hoping he would sign with Detroit based on what I read but I kind of expected him to sign with Minnesota. Good for Colorado for signing him. It is always nice to get a free asset.

As for the fans being upset and taking shots at teams come on really? It is okay to be disappointed but do you really need to sink to a douchebag level over this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad