Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Avalanche sign F Ben Meyers to ELC (2 years, $912.5k AAV)

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
I'm probably in the minority here. I think much of our fanbase would think as you do. I just haven't gotten there yet.

I just don't really think that Colorado can be our "bully" when we had our fair share of success against them, and they haven't quite gotten to where we want to go. It's definitely not like Chicago swatting us down from the top of the mountain. Maybe that's the next 5 years though.
Not just you Ive never considered Colorado a "bully" and Id consider Chicago more of a rival than Colorado

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Good to see all that education didn't go to waste. Kid gets to play for Championships day 1.

Can anyone that watched this guy play explain what is superior to Tyson Jost who is the same age size and was just as if not more prolific in college given ages of 18 vs 21/22?
Completely different levels of speed/pace of play both physically and mentally. More tenaciously involved. Can win face-offs. Passive player versus active player.

avalanche_country

Mar 3, 2004
Denver, CO
The fact wild fans are crying makes this much more enjoyable. Maybe he looked in their rafters and saw 1 divisional banner from 14 years ago and said naw. If he’s truly from MN then he knows MN sports never ends well.

Reactions: Hasbro and pockets

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Like most Detroit fans, he’d prefer to live in Denver.
That I believe. I am sure that very few players care that the team they are going to has a long successful history. But if he wanted to go to a proven winner he should have gone to Tampa. He could be the 2nd line centre there.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Is this guy really worth all this squabbling?

Unfortunately that's how most of the undrafted free agent threads end up degenerating to, it's almost independent of the prospect. Annoying thing will be when in a couple years, somebody will say "I can't believe there was so much hype about ______" when 90% of the thread was nothing about the prospect and just two fan bases having a 'my dad can beat up your dad' argument.

Maybe for a laugh, we can dig up the Antoine Lageniere thread when Vancouver/Anaheim were rumored as the finalists and the subsequent discussion between those two fan bases about which team had the brighter future.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

I had forgotten about the Sanpo Ranta connection.

To make it easier, Meyers did his own research. He spoke to Ranta, as well as Colorado Eagles goaltender Hunter Miska, a fellow Minnesotan whose cousin happens to be dating Meyers. Meyers and Miska connected on the phone Tuesday evening, and Meyers picked his brain about the Avalanche.

“Told him about the organization and how things are run here,” said Miska, who has been up and down between Colorado’s AHL and NHL rosters the past two years. “Pretty easy to talk about when you’re with a high-end organization and a winning program.”

Plante didn’t think his client had made up his mind when he went to bed Tuesday night, but between Miska’s endorsement, the conversations with Avalanche management and what looks to be a good fit for the future of the team’s roster, Meyers was confident enough to make his call.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
While it would suck to not accomplish anything during MacKinnon's discount period, I think people are really overstating the cap crunch. MacKinnon's raise will about entirely be covered by the EJ and Compher money that gets freed up just in time. Those guys are currently basically replacement level players right now.

I really doubt Byram will be able to command a huge salary given his concussion issues. Likely that we go the win win approach of an extremely modest contract with term. Byram gets to financially secure his future while the Avs get to lock him in at a fixed price point.

We still have two more seasons of crazy cheap Devon Towes.

We don't have any crazy albatross contracts.

At worst we will have to transition from a Tampa Bay like super team into a Pittsburg/Toronto type top heavy team.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Won a faceoff on his first shift and helped setup a great scoring play. Following a great period of hockey up with his first goal in his first NHL game in the second period.

Naw, nothing to see here folks,

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I can see why he was so highly touted UFA. Really doesn't lack any traits that you need from a solid solid bottom sixer. Gritty, wins puck battles with good reads, skating and hustle. Nose for the net too.

Reactions: wetcoast and AMDZen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad