Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Avalanche sign Alex Newhook to ELC (3 years, $908.333k AAV)

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Honestly, neither do we most of the time. They're very tight lipped about most things.

That’s fair. I know certain Rangers matters they’re a little more transparent on but you can also kinda see where they’re going before they go there, but then other matters, they won’t give us an inkling of what they’re going to do, if that makes any sense.

For example, we knew K’Andre Miller was getting a legitimate shot in camp to make the team, but we don’t know what the hell they’re going to do with Vitaly Kravtsov now.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
That’s fair. I know certain Rangers matters they’re a little more transparent on but you can also kinda see where they’re going before they go there, but then other matters, they won’t give us an inkling of what they’re going to do, if that makes any sense.

For example, we knew K’Andre Miller was getting a legitimate shot in camp to make the team, but we don’t know what the hell they’re going to do with Vitaly Kravtsov now.

We don't even know when a player is healthy or injured, we honestly have no clue what Sakic and Bednar are planning to do with Newhook. We can make logical assumptions, but that doesn't mean they'll follow it. If you ask Avs fans, Newhook probably won't get any games this season unless he's showing well in the AHL and there is a rash of injuries.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Great news for the Avs. In the event he does get into the lineup due to injuries, I wouldn't be surprised to see him play well enough to hold onto the spot with his speed and work ethic.

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Any spots available for him in the Avs Lineup currently? I know they’re a deeper team but they did have some injuries earlier in the year. As a Newfoundlander I’m pumped to see what he will be like as a NHL player.

Probably the most skilled guy to come from here? The only other guys I can think of with somewhat similar skill sets were Ryder and Purcell, I remember Cleary and Clowe scoring more of their goals as a net front presence, not to say they weren’t skilled but that was more their playing style and it worked well for them.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Weird cap hit. Capfriendly says only 50k in performance bonuses this year, before jumping up to 850k in years two and three. Then 875k salary this year before jumping to 925k. Didn't realize you could structure contracts like that. I guess whatever that 50k bonus is for can be attained easily enough that he's not out of money, but it deflates his cap hit ~54% of a slide.
His $908,333 caphit is basically $16,667 lower than the standard $925k, which amounts to $50k over 3 years. So they gave him a bonus of $50k instead of a caphit. Maybe that was a way to get him $50k easier rather than a pro-rated $925k in year 1?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Any spots available for him in the Avs Lineup currently? I know they’re a deeper team but they did have some injuries earlier in the year. As a Newfoundlander I’m pumped to see what he will be like as a NHL player.

Probably the most skilled guy to come from here? The only other guys I can think of with somewhat similar skill sets were Ryder and Purcell, I remember Cleary and Clowe scoring more of their goals as a net front presence, not to say they weren’t skilled but that was more their playing style and it worked well for them.

Honestly, Terry Ryan is for my money the most skilled player to ever come from NL. But obviously he had problems beyond the game of hockey that prevented him from making the NHL full time and reaching his potential.

Ryder or Cleary probably have the most successful careers of the bunch.

Newhook certainly has a chance to have the best career though. He's got a lot of potential and is joining a juggernaut organization, if things go well for him he could wind up a Top 6 forward on a cup winning team in his prime years.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Honestly, Terry Ryan is for my money the most skilled player to ever come from NL. But obviously he had problems beyond the game of hockey that prevented him from making the NHL full time and reaching his potential.

Newhook certainly has a chance to have the best career though. He's got a lot of potential and is joining a juggernaut organization, if things go well for him he could wind up a Top 6 forward on a cup winning team in his prime years.

i had no idea what NL was. Learn something new everyday.

Reactions: grentthealien

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
His $908,333 caphit is basically $16,667 lower than the standard $925k, which amounts to $50k over 3 years. So they gave him a bonus of $50k instead of a caphit. Maybe that was a way to get him $50k easier rather than a pro-rated $925k in year 1?

Yeah, I'm not too sure exactly how they finagled it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it catch on. I understand the math behind the cap hit, I just didn't know the rules allowed it. Capfriendly also says his schedule A bonuses are capped at 1.3 million over the course of the deal, so it looks like Newhook traded in some performance bonuses in order to expedite his ascension to the big club as well.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand

I would argue Daniel Ryder was the most skilled, but sadly he also didn't come close to reaching his potential.

Everything is pointing so far to Newhook having an opportunity to make his case soon!

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Any spots available for him in the Avs Lineup currently?
On the top two lines no. MacKinnon, Landeskog, Rantanen, Kadri, Saad and Burakovsky all played last night and while inconsistent the team has been producing, meanwhile the bottom 6 has been on fire.

Next year with PEB, Calvert, Saad going UFA plus potential expansion draft ramifications and a tight cap Newhook should get his shot.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

No there’s no space for him when fully healthy but he’s probably already the most talented player in their system beyond the NHL so by the time playoffs come if they have an injury to one of their offensive forwards I think he probably draws in. The first year of the ELC is already burned so if there comes a situation where adding Newhook makes them better I think he draws in.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

AVs lines are all firing, I suspect they’ll give him a couple games on the Wing. A season in the AHL playing 1C with Bowers/Kaut to create a kids line of former 1st rounders.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
AVs lines are all firing, I suspect they’ll give him a couple games on the Wing. A season in the AHL playing 1C with Bowers/Kaut to create a kids line of former 1st rounders.
The Eagles will be pretty fun to watch for the rest of the season with all of Newhook, Kaut, Bowers, Foudy, and hopefully Ranta playing together.

Reactions: Patagonia

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Oh great, just what we needed, MORE top end skill on the Avs

Nice. I've watched a ton of him over the years and Avs fans have a lot of reasons to be excited about this.

But seriously, as if you need another blue chip prospect..

If if makes you guys feel better Newhook is our last true top tier talent to add to this core now that Byram made the jump. We have guys like Ranta, Kaut, Bowers, and Barron still in the pipeline but at most they'll end up as complimentary pieces.

I'd be pretty surprised if he got any games this year, and the AHL makes a lot of sense for him to finish out the year with Kaut, Bowers, and Timmins. But them burning a year probably all but guarantees he'll be on the Avs next season.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Just knowing our luck with injuries, I think we'll see him in an Avs sweater at least briefly this season. If someone in our top 6 gets hurt, you can give Newhook a look and avoid breaking up that 3rd line that's playing so well together right now.

But mostly I think getting him signed now was to avoid any possibility that he'd stay an extra year and have the option of UFA. It's well worth it to burn an extra year for that.

Reactions: jabubenice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad