Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Avalanche re-sign F Valeri Nichushkin (8 years, $6.125M AAV)

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
LMAO

Talk to us after Tavares wins a cup! 😂
Hockey is not basketball. Takes a whole team to win, not 1 player. Tavares earned that contract with 10 years of great hockey. Maybe Nichushkin is just a late bloomer and his hockey career is really just starting.

Reactions: uncleben

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Hockey is not basketball. Takes a whole team to win, not 1 player. Tavares earned that contract with 10 years of great hockey. Maybe Nichushkin is just a late bloomer and his hockey career is really just starting.

Nichu is like the definition of a late bloomer. big super talented skater with raw skills. Got rushed into the league too early, had some injuries and issues with previous coaching, lost confidence. When he was with Dallas, he had literally one offensive move.

Shows up in Colorado with a smaller role, excelled and kept growing and adding to his offensive tool kit. He is sniping now, getting body positions in front of the net, making ridiculously good passes (see burakovsky OT goal).

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
I thought he was gonna get like 7M on the open market. This contract is a no brainer. I can't wait to see what he does next year with continued and maybe even increased favorable usage.

Reactions: shadow1

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
As a Leafs fan who wishes they somehow were bad enough to draft Makar in 2017, I have made it a point to watch Avs games as much as possible. And this contract is perfectly fine. Nuke has been insane for a while now and people still thinking he's the same as he was in Dallas are kidding themselves. Completely different player. Wouldn't even be surprised if his production skyrockets even more with increased usage. He was alongside Makar, the overall best players during this recent cup run (rounded out by Byram).
You know someone has been watching the Avs when he mentions Byram in the overall best players in the playoffs. He flew under the radar most of the playoffs run glad people finally saw what he was capable and what we saw earlier this year. Also totally agree that Nuke was alongside Makar the best players in the cup run.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Nichu is like the definition of a late bloomer. big super talented skater with raw skills. Got rushed into the league too early, had some injuries and issues with previous coaching, lost confidence. When he was with Dallas, he had literally one offensive move.

Shows up in Colorado with a smaller role, excelled and kept growing and adding to his offensive tool kit. He is sniping now, getting body positions in front of the net, making ridiculously good passes (see burakovsky OT goal).

He needed man strength. He is probably one of the strongest and biggest players in the league now, which helps him forecheck. He lifts a lot of weight constantly.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

yeaher

May 3, 2019
PP points aren't even remotely related to why Nuke got this deal.

He's a 5v5 possession monster. He plays a similar role to that of Landeskog. While I want as many of those guys on my roster as possible, their lethality on the PP isn't the reason why.

Not that powerplay points are a bad thing. And not that I would at all mind Nuke doing well on the powerplay. It's just, there's only so much powerplay time to go around. Guys who kick ass 5v5 are super important, despite the opportunity for points being less.

We just want Nuke to continue being Nuke. I'm glad he didn't go to another team where he might have been asked to be something he's not.

I'm sure if he went to Edmonton McDavid would have complained that the play dies on his stick and they would buy him out in two years.
Dude, I wasn't even talking to you. my argument was his point total will go up in response to another poster due to more pp time. im an avs fan I know he is way more than G and A

AvalancheRy

Feb 13, 2009
Horrendous contract. Important player to the AVS i get it but he is essentially a 2way, 40ish point player that had a great playoffs.... 8 yrs is waaaaay too long for these type of players, and and 6 mil is too much.

How do the AVS even justify the fact that he is going to make what Mackinnon was making for the last 5 years?

I think they should have played hardball, they lost the negotiations both in term and in AAV which is hard to do.
Hard to lose on term and AAV you say? Might I direct you to these boards all day tomorrow where you'll find no shortage of said deals. It's kinda an annual NHL tradition this time of year. You'll get used to it after a couple years of watching hockey (or any sport for that matter).

RE this specific deal, there's already plenty of content in this thread demonstrably proving this isn't a bad deal. Subjectively you might not like it, that's fine. But when you look at the year he just had, the comparables (Rakell just got $5mil and didn't have nearly the impact), his overall numbers, the Avs specific needs and what this market is paying, this deal is worth it. There's even a mathematical model that predicted this deal.

The Avs are chillin.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
You know someone has been watching the Avs when he mentions Byram in the overall best players in the playoffs. He flew under the radar most of the playoffs run glad people finally saw what he was capable and what we saw earlier this year. Also totally agree that Nuke was alongside Makar the best players in the cup run.

Byram was insane. Playstyle wise he reminds me of Doughty. The Avs are absolutely stacked at this point. Two 100 point players, one of the best two way players in the league and basically a rehash of Doughty and Karlsson on the same team. Absolutely nuts.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
It's a fair deal. Not a steal in the 5's, but the man deserved to be paid.

This deal + Nukes POs should also serve as a reminder to people trashing on the Georgiev move to just trust in the Avs pro scouts. They keep getting it right.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
just passing by to leave these here. who wants to be the first?
American-Crows-the-Good-the-Bad-and-Noisy.jpg

Reactions: Mighty Makar

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Shooting at an unsustainable 30% and has an insanely high on-ice shooting percentage...

Good player, but let's see how the season plays out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad