Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Avalanche re-sign F Darren Helm (1 year, $1.25M)

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Who knows. Avs never try to develop their youth. They have this idiot running the team in Loveland that uses AHL vet nobodies like Sherwood for PP1 and most of the ice time.

Avs seem to think the AHL team is for winning and not developing players.

There's definitely a middle ground here somewhere inbetween... "The Avs can't develop prospects" and "The Avs can't draft good players after the first". Because if either of those two tropes are true the other is clearly wrong, while they're the most commonly parroted things on our boards.

In this case I don't see who the Avs are burying for Helmer. Kaut hasn't shown the defensive or energy game to be a 4th line mainstay, which LOC earned by developing in the AHL (see!). Bowers has sucked. Foudy and Oskar aren't 4th liners. I'm grasping at straws here on where the next LOC is developing that was going to be as good as Helm. Ranta sure wasn't it.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I don’t care if Helm and Cogs nap through the entire regular season as long as they turn it on in the playoffs like they did last year. They were both critical pieces for us in the playoffs
I think they will get lots of rest in the reg season which gives opportunity for development and evaluation for the youngsters. But come playoff time, it's the vets all the way.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I think they will get lots of rest in the reg season which gives opportunity for development and evaluation for the youngsters. But come playoff time, it's the vets all the way.
I understand some of the apprehension but realistically, are we concerned that the Avs will make it to the POs? Nope.

Guys like Cogliano, Nichushkin, Manson and Helm are PO warriors. We all saw that. Kadri and Burakovsky are too but hard choices have to be made about who the Avs would be able to re-sign in light of the salary cap.

Having a bottom 6 line that is go-go line is a very big deal in the POs. This signing will go a long way towards that end although maintaining the health of these older vets is my only concern.

Reactions: Reparlana

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad