[COL/ARI] Mikkel Boedker for Alex Tanguay, Conner Bleackley, and Kyle Wood Part II

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If we were in a playoff position I think most people's opinions would probably change, but since we aren't, and probably weren't going to be even at the trade deadline, people are (rightly so) still not a fan of the trade.

I was a fan of it at the time. It'd be nice to have the assets, but I like Boedker. I think he's one of the only players since the trade deadline who has actually done his part to help this team make the playoffs. Do I want to re-sign him? Not to anything more than 4.5M per season and that's the absolute max. He'll get 5M+ on the open market, though.

He's not physical, and he can disappear at times. But production is production. Small sample size, yes; but he's playing at a 62 point pace since arriving here. That would, in all likelihood, lead this team in scoring unless Duchene picks up 4 points in the final 2 games. I've been very pleased with Boedker. I've been very pleased with Matthias. I haven't been pleased with the rest of the team or coach.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Uh, not even close.

How? Boedker has come here and essentially been what we expected, if not better points-wise. MacKinnon and Landeskog (perhaps Landy gets a pass all things considered) play soft AND underwhelm offensively, and we're all quite content to pay them a lot more than Boedker.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
If we were in a playoff position I think most people's opinions would probably change, but since we aren't, and probably weren't going to be even at the trade deadline, people are (rightly so) still not a fan of the trade.

I was a fan of it at the time. It'd be nice to have the assets, but I like Boedker. I think he's one of the only players since the trade deadline who has actually done his part to help this team make the playoffs. Do I want to re-sign him? Not to anything more than 4.5M per season and that's the absolute max. He'll get 5M+ on the open market, though.

He's not physical, and he can disappear at times. But production is production. Small sample size, yes; but he's playing at a 62 point pace since arriving here. That would, in all likelihood, lead this team in scoring unless Duchene picks up 4 points in the final 2 games. I've been very pleased with Boedker. I've been very pleased with Matthias. I haven't been pleased with the rest of the team or coach.

Completely nailed my feeling on the two trades.

Still hurts to be missing the assets but nothing we can do about it now.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Radulov isn't a maybe. We will know before July 1 if Radulov will be an Av or not. If we miss out, try to get Boedker for a discount. If we luck out on Rads, I hope they don't speak a word to Boedker.

coldblooded.jpg

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
How? Boedker has come here and essentially been what we expected, if not better points-wise. MacKinnon and Landeskog (perhaps Landy gets a pass all things considered) play soft AND underwhelm offensively, and we're all quite content to pay them a lot more than Boedker.
I don't think MacKinnon or Landeskog play soft at all. That's where I very much disagree. I don't understand how anyone can say Landy plays soft, in particular. That's just completely wrong.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't think MacKinnon or Landeskog play soft at all. That's where I very much disagree. I don't understand how anyone can say Landy plays soft, in particular. That's just completely wrong.

Yeah I agree. As for Boedker, I don't think he's bad defensively but he's soft and would prefer to play a perimeter game than apply himself to battles which makes him worse. He thinks the game well away from the puck and positions himself well but if you're too soft to get involved in the play hands on you aren't going to build a very good rep defensively.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I'll give you guys the benefit of the doubt, location being what it is you sound like you watch a lot more games than I do. I base a lot of my opinions on what I hear around here unfortunately, and it sounds like Landeskog might have been playing through an injury for some time (and still put up OK numbers), but to me Boedker has been an excellent addition and well worth Soderberg-type dollars. I'll be baffled if we don't sign him for reasonable money, and I get the impression he likes this team.

When was the last time we truly rented someone, Theo Fleury? Or is my memory just that bad

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Radulov isn't a maybe. We will know before July 1 if Radulov will be an Av or not. If we miss out, try to get Boedker for a discount. If we luck out on Rads, I hope they don't speak a word to Boedker.

Isn't that by definition a maybe? He might sign here or he might not. I still think he'd rather go to a sure fire contender that which we are not.

This.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
So Sakic wants to keep both Boedker and Matthias. That's something positive at least.

Keeping Boedker isn't a positive, especially for good money.

I see people bashing Avs players all over the place here, but IMO Boedker was the most invisible forward down the stretch.

The second games got physical he got terrified of contact.

Another thing, people are complaining that this team doesn't have enough will and heart to win tough games, Boedker is the definition is this mentality.

He needs to be gone.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

I see people bashing Avs players all over the place here, but IMO Boedker was the most invisible forward down the stretch.

Another thing, people are complaining that this team doesn't have enough will and heart to win tough games, Boedker is the definition is this mentality.

He needs to be gone.

Tough to call our leading scorer down the stretch invisible. He's soft defensively but he made things happen offensively game in and game out. Soft, or perimeter player or terms like that are fair, but aside from maybe two games "invisible" doesn't fit at all.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Is Boedker shy of physical play? Yes. that's why you put him on a line that has more physical player and he will be fine. I hope we keep him if it is for less than 5M.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Tough to call our leading scorer down the stretch invisible. He's soft defensively but he made things happen offensively game in and game out. Soft, or perimeter player or terms like that are fair, but aside from maybe two games "invisible" doesn't fit at all.

He also had no one to play with for most of those final games...... He is not a game changer, he is a complementary player. Same goes for Matthias. Take away Mac and Duchene and they don't have the ability to carry a team for long stretches.

Ultimately, that is where you hope he prices himself right if he wants to stay in Denver. The good teams in the league have gotten their 2nd tier players to price themselves right....or they move on and get in system guys or short term vet rentals to fill those holes.

Colorado is finally just starting to get those guys on the roster, now we will see how they handle them fiscally.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
So Sakic wants to keep both Boedker and Matthias. That's something positive at least.

There won't be any big UFA dman signing if he does that unless he gets a miraculous discount on the Barrie/Mac extensions or does something with Iggy.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I thought I read somewhere that Boedker said it wasn't about the money he left the Yotes. He wanted a team where he could help more offensively. He did say that he likes it here so there is that. I think he'll take 5 or less to stay here. 5M is really pushing it for him though.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He also had no one to play with for most of those final games...... He is not a game changer, he is a complementary player. Same goes for Matthias. Take away Mac and Duchene and they don't have the ability to carry a team for long stretches.

Ultimately, that is where you hope he prices himself right if he wants to stay in Denver. The good teams in the league have gotten their 2nd tier players to price themselves right....or they move on and get in system guys or short term vet rentals to fill those holes.

Colorado is finally just starting to get those guys on the roster, now we will see how they handle them fiscally.

This post is far more reasonable than your trade proposals ;) , though I do love them haha!

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said!

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
I thought I read somewhere that Boedker said it wasn't about the money he left the Yotes. He wanted a team where he could help more offensively. He did say that he likes it here so there is that. I think he'll take 5 or less to stay here. 5M is really pushing it for him though.

Rather Okposo at that price than Boedker... Plus we need more righties

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
There won't be any big UFA dman signing if he does that unless he gets a miraculous discount on the Barrie/Mac extensions or does something with Iggy.

Who is the big UFA Dman you had in mind? Pickings are terribly slim even including players not likely to leave where they are.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008

He needs to be gone.

Who do you replace Boedker with?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

He needs to be gone.

:shakehead

The guy who led the team in points was our most invisible player. Ok.

Anyway, I'm neither for or against bringing Boeds back. It all depends on the play Roy and Joe come up with over the next couple months to tackle the summer. And it also all starts out with the lottery on April 30th.

I mean, what if we win the lottery and have the #1 pick? Matthews instantly becomes a Top 6 forward for us as soon as next year. The same applies to both Laine and Pulju as well if we end up at #2 or #3. If that happens, do we really need to sign Boedker as well for next year? We'd have a pretty crowded Top 9 at that point if we brought Boeds back. Mack, Landy, Rants, Greg, Soderberg, Bodker, Iggy(Lets face it, he wont be playing 4th line 5 on 5 minutes, at least not right away), Comeau, New guy, and Duchene(assuming he sticks around for now). Plus then you've still got Matthias. And while yes he's capable of playing a 4th line role, I think he proved with us that he's more then that and I definitely want him back next year, so if guaranteeing 3rd line minutes is what it takes, then you've got another Top 9 forward.

Or, what if we dont win the lottery, but instead decide we want to trade Barrie(He prices himself out of Denver) for the best package we can get, and that package ends up including a Top 6 forward as well, like an Eberle, JVR, etc.

And then you've also got the Radulov factor. It seems certain now that he's coming to North America next year, and if the Avs want to sign him you damn well better believe with Patrick coming back next year that we'll have a better shot then anybody at signing him.

Plus you've got Varlamov. What if they decide to move him, and his return includes a Top 6 forward or a young Top 9 forward looking to jump into the Top 6 with the Avs.

Or what about JTC? What if the only way he's willing to sign this summer and forego his final year of college hockey is if the Avs guarantee him Top 9 minutes in his rookie season.

Not to mention the salary Boedker is hoping for(Which we dont know) or the Mackinnon contract, a potential radulov cap hit, etc.

The bottom line IMO for now, is this off-season could go any number of ways. Given this team right now, if no changes at all were made. Then I would say yes bringing back Boedker in a Top 6 role for 4.5-5.0M is a solid move and one I would get on board with.

But, I would almost guarantee after that debacle of a stretch run and another missed playoff opportunity that at least one major change is on the way. No idea what it is, but it will completely change the landscape of this team for next year. And until that happens I dont think I really have an opinion on a Boedker extension.

If we sign Boedker before anything else happens though, I would be ok with that at the very least. Then we'll see from there what happens but we'd have him locked into the team at that point and I'd be fine with it.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Please don't sign him. Our FO preaches high compete level, being hard to play against etc, why would they sign another soft, perimeter player? Haven't we got enough of those?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad