Johansen
Byram
Prosvetov

To COL
Schmaltz
Soderstrom
Vejmelka

Feel free to flame.
The fact that i instantly said yes as a colorado fan suggests it may need tweaking

I realize byram is the piece but that package from arizona creates some flexibility player wise moving forward

Of course i have always loved soderstrom style and skill and some may say with girard and now malinski he may be redundant but .. i would pull it as colorado

Reactions: CDN24

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The fact that i instantly said yes as a colorado fan suggests it may need tweaking

I realize byram is the piece but that package from arizona creates some flexibility player wise moving forward

Of course i have always loved soderstrom style and skill and some may say with girard and now malinski he may be redundant but .. i would pull it as colorado
Goal is to get worse for the rest of this season, get a better pick, and pick up a possible foundational piece for the blueline in Byram. I know a lot has to go right for Byram to become that but it’s a gamble I think makes sense e

Reactions: Kolzilla

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Goal is to get worse for the rest of this season, get a better pick, and pick up a possible foundational piece for the blueline in Byram. I know a lot has to go right for Byram to become that but it’s a gamble I think makes sense e
Yeah fair enough i get it. I hope byram elevates too.. fun to watch

rt

May 13, 2004
Take out Soderstrom and swap for a '24 or '25 2nd? (COL doesn't have a 2nd in either draft)
Fine with me. My thought was Byram comes in and Dermott goes down. Tucson doesn’t lose anything.

Would be nice to have Soderstrom for when we trade Dumba for a 3rd. Which to some degree mitigates the 2nd you’re adding here.

Reactions: moosemeister

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
To ARI
Johansen
Byram
Prosvetov

To COL
Schmaltz
Soderstrom
Vejmelka

Feel free to flame.
It's actually a pretty good trade for both sides so kudos to you.

I guess my only question would be does Schmaltz play center or is he mostly a winger ? Where has he played primarily this season/last season ?

rt

May 13, 2004
It's actually a pretty good trade for both sides so kudos to you.

I guess my only question would be does Schmaltz play center or is he mostly a winger ? Where has he played primarily this season/last season ?
Schmaltz has played winger under Tourigny. But that’s philosophical. He has many of the things you want in a C and many of the things you don’t. Strength of surrounding cast is a factor.

Reactions: wintersej

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
In a vacuum I think the values fine. But I personally wouldn’t do it as I don’t really think Schmaltz is the 2C(or a C at all) that fills that hole. And I’d only move Byram for a 2C even if Vej would be a great add in net.

Reactions: Avs44

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Not so much "winning" but it doesnt really address Colorado's main issue.
Depends on if the Avs think he can be a 2C, which is very obviously their biggest need.

Our pro scouts are good but they whiffed huge on the bad fit with RyJo as 2C. He’s too slow.

So suddenly their judgement is called into question.

If he’s just another winger… agree this deal makes no sense for the Avs. Avs have zero need for more wingers. They need a 2C and a 4C.

Last edited:
Reactions: Linds

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
COL is clearly looking for a 2C - that's not Schmaltz; that's Kerfoot.

Would COL be interested in a deal with Kerfoot + Vejmelka instead?
1708022012766.gif

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Honestly would call this slightly to the Avs favor.
Think if Schmaltz is surrounded by our wingers, he can serve just fine as a center. (much like JTC has done)
Would open an opportunity of flipping one of Manson/Malinsky/Soderstrom in the offseason if needed.

Reactions: Prarievarg

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Schmaltz has played winger under Tourigny. But that’s philosophical. He has many of the things you want in a C and many of the things you don’t. Strength of surrounding cast is a factor.
Is it something with Tourigny's system where he isn't a fit to be C? On one hand I agree with your assessment, but I also question if he can be an effective center considering McBain and Bjugstad are better options for Arizona.

rt

May 13, 2004
Is it something with Tourigny's system where he isn't a fit to be C? On one hand I agree with your assessment, but I also question if he can be an effective center considering McBain and Bjugstad are better options for Arizona.
I can’t say for sure. It’s been like this his whole career. Is he a C or a W? I think he plays like a C in the O Zone and the neutral zone. And he plays like a W in the D Zone (a Beer league W). So it’s about what you can tolerate. Surrounding cast is a big part of it.

For a while, they had Dvorak taking draws for him and doing the in-zone D defensive work, then when the puck went North they’d switch. That’s what Tocchet seemed to like and it worked pretty good.

rt

May 13, 2004
I’ll add that I’d be very curious to see how Schmaltz would respond to the Culture in Colorado. That MacKinnon drill sergeant mentality. I wonder if we’d see him evolve a bit. Expectations in Arizona have never been like that.

The OP offer in a vacuum is close.

issues are LD v RD
C vs W
Would this cause AZ to miss the playoffs?
AZ is already gonna miss the playoffs. This trade is designed to make AZ worse this season, but bring in a long term piece in Byram.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Take out Soderstrom and swap for a '24 or '25 2nd? (COL doesn't have a 2nd in either draft)
And Arizona won't even notice losing one, they have 7. 3 (Az, FLA, Wash) in this draft and 4 (Az, Tor, Edm, NYR) in 2025

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad