Confirmed with Link: [COL/ARI] Avs Acquire G D.Kuemper($1m ret.) for D C.Timmins + 2022 COL 1st + 2024 COL 3rd(cond.)

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I actually like our cap situation, if we can sign Kuemper and Nuke for 10M we have some money to play with in UFA. If we get Giroux at the deadline we could extend him at around 6M.

I think its optimistic that Kuemper and Nuke sign for a combined 10M tbh. IMO Kuemper has a good argument to get 6M at this point and Nuke shouldn't have any trouble getting the Coleman contract at least.

That said, you are right. The Avs will have quite a bit of cap space next summer. 27.5M in cap space as of right now is a lot to work with. But they also have a number of key roster spots that need to be filled as well, including an entire 2nd line and starting goalie. It would go a long way if they could free up the JTC space. Getting someone to replace him for a fraction of the cost would open up a number of possibilities in terms of what they want to do. Ditto Tyson Jost.

Purely hypothetical here, but if the Avs replaced JTC with Brandon Hagel in that 3rd line, and replace Jost with Maltsev on a 1M contract, that would free up $3M in space and ya they could go big game hunting in free agency next summer, target say Hertl or Forsberg to bolster the 2nd line.

Andrew Wiggin

Feb 8, 2020

Like is probably a strong word but if you sign Kuemper at $6, Francouz at $2M, Nuke at $5M, Giroux at $6M, assuming Newhook, O'Connor, Maltsev, Aube-Kubel, Jost/Replacement, then maybe Bowers to round out the bottom 6 and Barron/Helleson to round out the bottom pair you have enough for $6M~ aav player. The year after though gets dicey depending on the RFA numbers and McKinnon's number. This is also assuming Compher had to be unloaded to fit Giroux in, in the first place.

Forceberg

Mar 9, 2012
I think Kuemper will play good in the playoffs considering his play at the world championship and against strong opponents this year.
But the AVS tandem next year will be Franzous and Fleury if Joe doesnt have enough money to pay Kuemper.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think Kuemper will play good in the playoffs considering his play at the world championship and against strong opponents this year.
But the AVS tandem next year will be Franzous and Fleury if Joe doesnt have enough money to pay Kuemper.

Naw, Frankie's gone after this year. Unless they want him to play another year in the AHL as the starter, they may be looking at Annunen to be the backup next season. Barring that, there'll be plenty of decent veteran backup goalies to be had next year. Just avoid Martin Jones and Brian Elliott and they should be good.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I think people are being a bit too generous right now. Kuemper has played very well of late, and if he plays like this, consistently, that is all the Avs will ever need from their goaltending. But this could just be a hot streak... Kuemper has run hot and cold in his career (most goalies do). Stepping back, the Avs are giving up about a half goal more per game than they were last year and that is likely a result of playing tougher competition and allowing some more shots.... there is something else too though. If you compare Kuemper and Grubi's seasons, they are pretty close to the same with one major exception... Kuemper has been (much) worse with the Avs shorthanded. Now Grubi was out of his mind on the PK last year and that is unsustainable, but the struggles in net there have been a major reason the Avs have slipped to a bottom 10 PK unit. Now I actually think a big part of that is systemic and the Avs have built a system that relies on goalies making some saves... in the past Varly and Grubi have traditionally been very good goalies on the PK (Frank was too in his rookie year). Kuemper needs to step up there and be consistently good.
But hasn't our PK has actually improved considerably since they changed it to become more aggressive, instead of the passive box where everyone stands still and tries to screen the goalie?

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I think people are being a bit too generous right now. Kuemper has played very well of late, and if he plays like this, consistently, that is all the Avs will ever need from their goaltending. But this could just be a hot streak... Kuemper has run hot and cold in his career (most goalies do). Stepping back, the Avs are giving up about a half goal more per game than they were last year and that is likely a result of playing tougher competition and allowing some more shots.... there is something else too though. If you compare Kuemper and Grubi's seasons, they are pretty close to the same with one major exception... Kuemper has been (much) worse with the Avs shorthanded. Now Grubi was out of his mind on the PK last year and that is unsustainable, but the struggles in net there have been a major reason the Avs have slipped to a bottom 10 PK unit. Now I actually think a big part of that is systemic and the Avs have built a system that relies on goalies making some saves... in the past Varly and Grubi have traditionally been very good goalies on the PK (Frank was too in his rookie year). Kuemper needs to step up there and be consistently good.
Well, all we really wanted from Kuemper was for him to be better than Grubauer in the playoffs.

And if our only problem is the PK, I’m not even the slightest bit concerned because one of 2 things are gonna happen.

1 - The league is actually going to call penalties which will benefit the Avs in the playoffs. So I don’t care if we’re on the PK, if we’re getting PPs.

2 - the league will continue status quo like against Vegas, and we’ll only be on the PK once or twice a game.

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
If Kuemper doesn’t care what team he plays for, he could get 6M+ easy. But he’s older and has spent a number of years on bad teams. Unless there’s another contender out there willing to pony up, he might accept less to stay. Not a hometown discount per se but rather a contending team discount. People say TB benefits from lower taxes and cost of living but I think a big part of why players take less there is because they’re a cup contender. The same can be the case for the Avs too.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
If Kuemper doesn’t care what team he plays for, he could get 6M+ easy. But he’s older and has spent a number of years on bad teams. Unless there’s another contender out there willing to pony up, he might accept less to stay. Not a hometown discount per se but rather a contending team discount. People say TB benefits from lower taxes and cost of living but I think a big part of why players take less there is because they’re a cup contender. The same can be the case for the Avs too.
Toronto might be players for Kuemper if Campbell tests free agency. Also Pittsburgh and Washington if they decide that Jarry/Samsonov aren't it. Edmonton might be in too depending on how much capspace they have to burn. Looking at the market I'd say it's probably more likely that he re-signs than goes elsewhere.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Naw, Frankie's gone after this year. Unless they want him to play another year in the AHL as the starter, they may be looking at Annunen to be the backup next season. Barring that, there'll be plenty of decent veteran backup goalies to be had next year. Just avoid Martin Jones and Brian Elliott and they should be good.
Jesus...might as well go with Francouz and Annunen. That'd be cheap.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
For some reason, I think Kuemper is going to be the only pending UFA that signs back with the Avs below market value.

Mostly because the guy’s been toiling away in Arizona and now gets to play behind a great team and play meaningful games. My guess is he’ll want to keep that.
My guess is hes going want that bread after he back stops the Avs to a cup.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
But hasn't our PK has actually improved considerably since they changed it to become more aggressive, instead of the passive box where everyone stands still and tries to screen the goalie?
Avs have had one of the most aggressive systems in the league for years. I think the system is a significant problem… and I think a reason it breaks down is the heavy reliance on goaltending to work well.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Avs have had one of the most aggressive systems in the league for years. I think the system is a significant problem… and I think a reason it breaks down is the heavy reliance on goaltending to work well.

Avs PK aggressive???? Pffffffft, f*** no it isn’t. Even now it’s not nearly as aggressive as it could be. You look at teams like Dallas, San Jose, and Carolina, now THAT’S an aggressive system. The Canes employ the “power kill” and I am so very jealous. If the Avs had just a little more depth and Bednar/Pratt were willing, they’d be able to implement that.

The biggest impediment to the PK at present is the insistence on an overly-structured system that relies way too much on big, slow defensemen and shot blocking.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Avs PK aggressive???? Pffffffft, f*** no it isn’t. Even now it’s not nearly as aggressive as it could be. You look at teams like Dallas, San Jose, and Carolina, now THAT’S an aggressive system. The Canes employ the “power kill” and I am so very jealous. If the Avs had just a little more depth and Bednar/Pratt were willing, they’d be able to implement that.

The biggest impediment to the PK at present is the insistence on an overly-structured system that relies way too much on big, slow defensemen and shot blocking.
The Avs always have a forward pressuring and pressing on the puck. They don’t sit back… in many ways it is a triangle +1 system that if the forward chasing can’t break up the play, it becomes a 4 v 3. Avs could crank up the aggression like Carolina with 2 players always trapping or sit back and play more zone. Either would be better. But to say they aren’t aggressive on the puck is wrong. Always aggressive circles up, just only LOC and Nuke are effective at it.

Reactions: Mr Zappalanche

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
My guess is hes going want that bread after he back stops the Avs to a cup.
Kuemper is poised to get a big contract for the first and only time in his life. The folks saying he will take a hometown discount are overly optimistic. He is 31. This is possibly the last contract. Almost all players want term and security for the last big one. He hasn't made nearly as much as most goalies who stick around that long in the league and the average pay for a starter has gone way up. the top goalies are making 9 to 10 million now. An average starting goalie contract is 6 million for guys who signed years prior or before they broke out.

the Hellebuyck's, Markstrom's, Gibson's of the world are making just over 6M, but the new age contracts like Price, Bobrovsky, Vasilievski are significantly higher into the 9.5 to 10.5M range.

Grubauer wanted just below league minimum average for a starter from Sakic after a 30-9-1 year and had to go to Seattle to get it.

Last year Ullmark was coming from a horrid team as a UFA and Boston still gave him 5m a year for 2 years. Kuemper was making 4.5m on a bad team for his last contract. Now he is 1 win away from leading the league in wins with a good GAA and sv%

And Mackinnon is up for a raise in 1 year and won't be taking less than 9.5m

The Sharks, Oilers, Devils, Caps, Sabres etc may be looking at UFA goalies in the offseason.

I just don't think Sakic will pony up for Kuemper

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Kuemper is poised to get a big contract for the first and only time in his life. The folks saying he will take a hometown discount are overly optimistic. He is 31. This is possibly the last contract. Almost all players want term and security for the last big one. He hasn't made nearly as much as most goalies who stick around that long in the league and the average pay for a starter has gone way up. the top goalies are making 9 to 10 million now. An average starting goalie contract is 6 million for guys who signed years prior or before they broke out.

the Hellebuyck's, Markstrom's, Gibson's of the world are making just over 6M, but the new age contracts like Price, Bobrovsky, Vasilievski are significantly higher into the 9.5 to 10.5M range.

Grubauer wanted just below league minimum average for a starter from Sakic after a 30-9-1 year and had to go to Seattle to get it.

Last year Ullmark was coming from a horrid team as a UFA and Boston still gave him 5m a year for 2 years. Kuemper was making 4.5m on a bad team for his last contract. Now he is 1 win away from leading the league in wins with a good GAA and sv%

And Mackinnon is up for a raise in 1 year and won't be taking less than 9.5m

The Sharks, Oilers, Devils, Caps, Sabres etc may be looking at UFA goalies in the offseason.

I just don't think Sakic will pony up for Kuemper
I agree with you mostly but the Ullmark and Grubauer examples could actually help the Avs in negotiating with Kuemper.

Yes a team will offer him big money but that team wont look like the Avs. You want to try to save Edmonton by yourself with that media/fanbase?

5mil x 4 years would be a great deal for Avs and Kuemper would have to think about it. Or he will be playing for a team similar to what his old Arizona teams looked like.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I agree with you mostly but the Ullmark and Grubauer examples could actually help the Avs in negotiating with Kuemper.

Yes a team will offer him big money but that team wont look like the Avs. You want to try to save Edmonton by yourself with that media/fanbase?

5mil x 4 years would be a great deal for Avs and Kuemper would have to think about it. Or he will be playing for a team similar to what his old Arizona teams looked like.
500k more than he makes now after the best season in his career?

And only 4 year term?

Lol

Reactions: The Moops

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
500k more than he makes now after the best season in his career?

And only 4 year term?

Lol
That's what he has to take to stay with this team. I'm sure that's close to what Grubauer was offered.

Grubauer Lol'd to Seattle, now we lol at him.

I'm not saying Kuemper will take the offer but I am saying he should think about it.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
That's what he has to take to stay with this team. I'm sure that's close to what Grubauer was offered.

Grubauer Lol'd to Seattle, now we lol at him.

I'm not saying Kuemper will take the offer but I am saying he should think about it.
And again, I think he will ask for at least the cheap average for a goalie of his caliber after a career year. It will be 6m+

Also, he is going to ask for a minimum of 5 or 6 years. No goalie takes a cheap 4 year deal at age 31 after a career year. 6x6 minimum.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Trading another similar package for a replacement again would just be bad management. The UFA goalie market is mostly garbage as well.

As long as Kuemper asks for a fair deal the Avs should get it done.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Why even worry about it until after the playoffs. If Kuemper plays well, I imagine Sakic will be interested in meeting his demands. If he Grubauer’s the 2nd round, then Francouz could probably get similar results in a worst case scenario next season.

Garavar

Nov 27, 2016
Beside Roy has any other goalie every been traded and won cup with his new team the first season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad