Pre-Game Talk: Coilers @ Jets - Wed Sept 29/21 - 7PM - TSN3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I really like what I've seen from Gus, and in my head I'm ready to pencil him in on the 4th line. Training camp forward depth chart as I see it:

Connor - Schief - Wheeler
Copp - PLD - Ehlers
Stastny - Lowry - X
X - Gus - Nash

The way I see it- Svech, Harkins and KV are fighting for those 2 spots on the line up and it's early but Harkins/Svech are in my view at the moment in the lead for those 2 spots. But long way to go in camp so we'll see.

Loving the aggressive D at the offensive blue line.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well vets were pretty ho hum tonight and were largely going through the motions. One thing I didn't like was Mark really extending his shifts all night. That needs to be reeled in by the coach.

Svech needs a contract. He's just a real good all around player and has some nice skill to boot.

Harkins looks poised to stake his claim to a spot and not relinquish it. The kids an NHL player and will really contribute on our fourth line.

Gus and Ves were both solid. Any other year and I think Gus takes that fourth line spot but he might be frozen out of it this year due to Nash and the other comp in camp.

Cole had a fairly quiet game offensively outside that nice pass on the first goal but was generally doing a lot of the little things right. He opened up well for breakouts managed the puck Well and showed is zone exit and entry skills. He did get lost a couple of times in his end so further refinement is needed there.

Heinola was much better tonight. Much more deliberate with his passing and he was much more poised with the puck. Defense was solid as well.

Stanley and Kovacevik with another solid game.

All in all a good night against a weak opponent.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Harkins should be getting the audition to play with Lowry and Stas.

I’m over Vesalainen. Bust material. Hasn’t shown me a single thing in ANY game I’ve watched him.

I think Harkins, Nash, Svechnikov, and Gus round out the bottom 6. Ves/Perfetti get to play on the Moose and depending on injuries to the top or bottom 6 we see one or both called up.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
A couple of things that stood out -

The guys that were fighting for a spot in the line up played well (at least most of them).
The exceptions would be Ville (who needs more work in his own end) and Ves, who doesn't get much done out there for a guy that is not a shoe in.

The guys that were not playing for a spot . . . . at least they had a chance to stretch their legs.
I did feel KC brought some effort tonight (to all those calling out CSW) - he gets a pass by me considering it's his first game (and because I'm biased :naughty:).

Stan is a lock BTW - he's playing well. Mo paired him up with Demelo in the third - he's making his cuts as we speak and Stanley is not one of them.

Hard to take much away from these preseason games - the vets are breaking in their new skates and the rooks are fighting for their lives (most of them).

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
It is hard to judge a team in preseason especially when the opponent isn't dressing a lot of their NHL players

A few things I noted being there

- The Jets were far more aggressive up the ice. The D were active on the pinching and the high forward was back when that happened(the only line that was really bad at this was Scheifs line more on that later)
- They transitioned quickly out of there zone. This was nice to see. They were less inclined to play tickey tacky in there own end and were always looking to move quickly up the ice. I think the 3rd they did less of that but fatigue IMO was setting in
- They directed a lot of pucks at the net and got rewarded with that. Again they were less about finesse and more about volume and I hope they keep that up. They have the guys on the backend that can get pucks through to the net
-Harkins/Svechnikov/Perfetti. Top tier game from these guys. Harkins was everywhere and if he keeps this up we won't miss Appleton one bit. Svechnikov while not fleet of foot was in good positions all night. Perfetti was solid anchoring this guys and made smart decisions all over the ice. I thought he showed that he could be trusted defensively. He still has a way to go but its nice to see him play well at center
-Lowry/Ves/Statsny. They were ok. They played a real good defensive game. I felt there cycle was a bit off as was there timing on passes. I think once the season starts its likely this trio stays together with maybe Harkins playing in Ves's spot but I think they like having to big men on the forecheck
-Gus/2 AHL guys. Like there game. Both wingers worked there asses off all over the ice as they should and scored a good workmanlike goal. Gus was real good. He dominated in the faceoffs and was really good defensively. I think Maurice would love the way he played out there.
-Scheifs line. They came and they played but they were kind of flat. Thought they over played the passing game and were trying to be too cute. They kind of ruined a lot of the good transitions the D worked from the back end. Connor scored a beauty though, no one else on the ice could score one like that.
- Schmidt/Morrissey. Really good. Moved the puck quickly and pinched effectively. You could hear Schmidt constantly talking out there and he was very animated on the bench. Bodes well for the season that we have a pairing like this
-Stanley/Kovacevic. Real solid game I thought. Both played big man's hockey and they both really moved the puck well. Stanley's game seems to be at another level at least against AHL level players. Kovacevic looks solid and should be a good callup
-Demelo/Heinola. They were ok. I could see Heinola was trying to show something but it wasn't clicking all the time. He made some good reads and some real good stretch passes including the one on Poganski's goal. I really think he needs to play in the AHL and play alot though. Demelo was his usual dependable self
Helly - Looked good with what he had to do. He ate up a lot of pucks. Probably wants that goal back though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad