Cody Hodgson the top pick in Vancouver Canucks' 2008 draft class

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

Two players from the Vancouver Canucks 2008 NHL Draft remain in the system, defenseman Yann Sauve and center Prab Rai. Of the two, Sauve is the only one to get a taste of NHL hockey action, with a five game call-up in 2010. Perhaps one of the more prolific and discussed players drafted by the Canucks, Cody Hodgson’s arrival in 2008 provided local sports pages with material aplenty. Just as some drafts bring hope and anticipation, Vancouver's 2008 draft brought drama and intrigue, culminating in one of the biggest and most shocking trades in the NHL during the 2011-12 season.… read more

More...

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Yeah, that draft was a disaster.

2009 is looking waaaaay better for us.

edit: looking at the last few draft years, there's a little more uncertainty, but 2011 is looking pretty good, too. I wonder why Gillis decided to torch 2010.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
16 players past the first round in the 2008 draft can even be said to be NHLers. 16 total.

I'd say VAN did alright by getting Hodgson. Could have been a lot worse.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
We could've done worse... Like moving up to draft Luke Schenn

Essentially, we got what was considered a steal at the time in Cody Hodgson with the 10th overall pick which lead to Kassian

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
16 players past the first round in the 2008 draft can even be said to be NHLers. 16 total.

I'd say VAN did alright by getting Hodgson. Could have been a lot worse.

we better... that was our highest pick since crosby draft.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Hodgson picks up 3 points today. Yes, I'm aware of who is linemates are.

Wizeman*

:headache:So the real motive finally emerges. Turn this into a Cody Hodgson shudnt be traded vs shud be traded relive the past spite thread.

Great job. :snide:

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
No matter how successful a career Hodgson has it doesn't change anything so we shouldn't be worried about these comparisons for who is "ahead" in the trade. Hodgson wanted out, and wouldn't have gotten the opportunity in Vancouver that he has in Buffalo, so we should just be happy that we got a up and coming young player as good as Kassian is in return for him. Hodgson seemed like a good kid to me and I hope he goes on to become a star center in this league.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
No matter how successful a career Hodgson has it doesn't change anything so we shouldn't be worried about these comparisons for who is "ahead" in the trade. Hodgson wanted out, and wouldn't have gotten the opportunity in Vancouver that he has in Buffalo, so we should just be happy that we got a up and coming young player as good as Kassian is in return for him. Hodgson seemed like a good kid to me and I hope he goes on to become a star center in this league.
The comparisons are worth bringing up just to tame the bias we show towards guys on our team vs. guys who leave (all the guys touting how they'd rather have Kassian/Schroeder than Hodgson).

It's unfortunate and probably was unavoidable, but hypothetically, I'd still probably take Hodgson on my team over Schroeder/Kassian at this point in time (although Kassian is making it very very interesting)

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Ugh, Morgan Clark.

And there were some great prospects taken in the 2nd round after Sauve: Schultz, Wierchoch, Stepan, Robak, Hamonic, Dalpe.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
The comparisons are worth bringing up just to tame the bias we show towards guys on our team vs. guys who leave (all the guys touting how they'd rather have Kassian/Schroeder than Hodgson).

It's unfortunate and probably was unavoidable, but hypothetically, I'd still probably take Hodgson on my team over Schroeder/Kassian at this point in time (although Kassian is making it very very interesting)

Why wouldn't you rather have the guy who has the most goals on his team and isn't depending on his two linemates to inflate his point totals? Hodgson has 9 points, well Vanek and Pominville have 19 and 13. It's pretty clear who's leeching off others on that line. It's remarkable to me that you would actually willingly take Hodgson who is a year older and downright horrible defensively. Players like him (soft, slow, one-dimensional with attitude issues) are quite literally worthless when fully developed as could be seen by what Roy and Ribeiro fetched in a trade.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns

Yea but you can't make hypothetical situations to make evaluations about a real hockey teams decisions. Hodgson couldn't have been successful stuck in a 3rd line role. So it wasn't a choice of Schroeder/Kassian or Hodgson. It was more likely a choice between moving either Hodgson or Kesler.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Yeah, that draft was a disaster.

2009 is looking waaaaay better for us.

edit: looking at the last few draft years, there's a little more uncertainty, but 2011 is looking pretty good, too. I wonder why Gillis decided to torch 2010.

It's only really because we ditched the 1st to pick up Ballard, and we traded away our 2nd and 3rds, I believe for Bernier?

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Why wouldn't you rather have the guy who has the most goals on his team and isn't depending on his two linemates to inflate his point totals? Hodgson has 9 points, well Vanek and Pominville have 19 and 13. It's pretty clear who's leeching off others on that line. It's remarkable to me that you would actually willingly take Hodgson who is a year older and downright horrible defensively. Players like him (soft, slow, one-dimensional with attitude issues) are quite literally worthless when fully developed as could be seen by what Roy and Ribeiro fetched in a trade.

I think your post demonstrates what Shareefruck is saying in the post you quoted.

Hodgson is playing well. He's even skating well from what I've seen.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
It's only really because we ditched the 1st to pick up Ballard, and we traded away our 2nd and 3rds, I believe for Bernier?

Gillis had the option of giving up the 2011 1st rounder instead but gave up the 2010. I guess he didn't see anyone he liked enough.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Kassian has owned more of the 200 x 85 than any other canuck this year. Both sides of the red line. Something Hodgson never has and likely never will do.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Ignoring the Cody vs. Zack debate...

That draft - outside of the Hodgson pick - was abysmal. Not one legitimate prospect in the bunch. 2009 is looking much, much, much better. Also, thank goodness for some of our shrewd UFA signings.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Ignoring the Cody vs. Zack debate...

That draft - outside of the Hodgson pick - was abysmal. Not one legitimate prospect in the bunch. 2009 is looking much, much, much better. Also, thank goodness for some of our shrewd UFA signings.

IMO you can clearly see the difference in scouting and drafting strategy from 08 to 09. 08 was the draft that Gillis had no time to impact outside of the 1st round and was basically fully Nonis' doing. At least we didn't get Kyle Beach in the first round.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
IMO you can clearly see the difference in scouting and drafting strategy from 08 to 09. 08 was the draft that Gillis had no time to impact outside of the 1st round and was basically fully Nonis' doing. At least we didn't get Kyle Beach in the first round.

*shudders* Beach thank **** we didnt.

A bust whos managed to do nothing but cause **** amongst his own.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Very true, and thank heavens about Beach. Even when Hodgson was left on the board, I still thought we might take Beach given all the talk that the Canucks had done about him before hand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad