Cody Hodgson the top pick in Vancouver Canucks' 2008 draft class

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I honestly thought it was a respectable decision for him not to discuss personally why he was traded rather than to tell everyone and criticize the team. Others from his camp spoke on his behalf, and the organization provided their side of the story. Ultimately, while Cody seemed intent on simply moving on and keeping quiet about the situation, there was a war of words between the two sides. Unfortunately, as fans seem to favor the Canucks' side of the story on most occasions, people accepted Gillis' words without much question.

It's a shame he has been depicted in such a negative light by the organization and the media. It seems he tried his best not to say anything negative about the team when given an opportunity to, which is something I feel should be commended. When he returned to Vancouver the week after he was traded and was interviewed by Scott Oake, Cody did his best to deflect the question, as it was inappropriate and would have only caused conflict.

He did the right thing. The team came out subsequently and made slanderous comments about him, which I don't think were appropriate to discuss even if there was an issue between the organization and the player.

Fans defended him against all the leaked media stories about him not being happy here, calling them fabrications. Turns out they were true which means Cody's camp was saying one thing and doing another (leaking stories). So sure he said the right thing with a camera in face, but what about the slippery subterfuge? If all this was kept behind closed doors, I think fans would be more forgiving of an unhappy player leaving.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
I can understand slagging Hodgson because of his entitlement issues. It's his on ice play that receives more criticism than is warranted IMO. I've seen a lot of Hodgson this season and he's been an offensive catalyst almost every night - driving the play forward, moving the puck around well and generating a ton of shots at the net. Defensively he's looked quite poor but a lot of this can be attributed to the fact he's playing way above his head right now and lacks experience.

I am very high on Cody Hodgson but was disappointed he wasn't willing to work his way up the roster like everyone before him. Especially when you look at who he was playing behind and how good the team was. He will go on to have an excellent career and I'm not going to cheer against him every step of the way. Completely happy with the player he returned and the fit for Kassian is outstanding.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Just because people point out his defensive deficiencies, doesn't mean they're saying he's a terrible player...

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Just because people point out his defensive deficiencies, doesn't mean they're saying he's a terrible player...

Still think he's underrated by many. A lot of people sell this guy short now that he's a Sabre.

Barring injury, Hodgson is going to have an outstanding career. His offensive IQ and skillset is that of a 1st line centre IMO.

Nov 1, 2011
Still think he's underrated by many. A lot of people sell this guy short now that he's a Sabre.

Barring injury, Hodgson is going to have an outstanding career. His offensive IQ and skillset is that of a 1st line centre IMO.

I don't think anyone questions Hodgson's offensive skills.

I think management here different like his attitude along with his size and speed combination which will create issues for him defensively.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
I can't stand people suddenly turning on Hodgson after he was traded and ******** on him and saying he is such a terrible player, get rid of your biases people.

It's pretty typical of a lot of fanbases. So many people turned on Hodgson almost immediately after he was traded (and before Gillis opened the vault).

It happened with Bure and Burke too.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
I don't think anyone questions Hodgson's offensive skills.

I think management here different like his attitude along with his size and speed combination which will create issues for him defensively.

Wellwood is small and slow but developed a defensive game over time just by using his excellent instincts and anticipation. Hodgson has some of the same physical limitations as Wellwood but also has that high level feel for the game as well. This attribute along with the work ethic should be more than enough to overcome these problems he's having defending right now. Would be surprised if CH is still considered a poor defensive player at the age of 26-27...

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011

That would have been my concern. A wonky back is a tricky thing. It's an issue with Edler, also.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Wellwood is small and slow but developed a defensive game over time just by using his excellent instincts and anticipation. Hodgson has some of the same physical limitations as Wellwood but also has that high level feel for the game as well. This attribute along with the work ethic should be more than enough to overcome these problems he's having defending right now. Would be surprised if CH is still considered a poor defensive player at the age of 26-27...

Can Ruff teach him how to play without the puck though? At least Wellwood had AV teaching him. I don't know how good Ruff is at that considering the Sabres seem to give up a lot of goals every year.

Environment matters too, I think (almost a nature vs. nurture debate here!). And his attitude toward it too - does he want to address that side of his game? Is he willing to take less risks offensively in order to improve his D? Time will tell I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->