Injury Report: Cody Franson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012
He's... surprised.. there was a penalty..? whaaaaaaa??

I can honestly say that I was a little surprised when he got the 5 minute major. 2 minutes I can see there, but I understand his frustration. Unfortunate result, but anywhere else along the boards and it would have been a harmless push. He certainly didn't drive his head maliciously into the glass.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Carlyle did mention he hit his head in his post presser, but the cut resulted from the visor. I really hope it's not a concussion too, problems can arise in the following days, not necessarily the day of. He's been very solid so far

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
The cut is from the visor probably which easily saved him further damage. Just imagine had he not had that visor....I wonder where Don Cherry is after that lol

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
I can honestly say that I was a little surprised when he got the 5 minute major. 2 minutes I can see there, but I understand his frustration. Unfortunate result, but anywhere else along the boards and it would have been a harmless push. He certainly didn't drive his head maliciously into the glass.

It wasn't a hockey play at all, it was a full on push from behind done knowing he could have hit his head, maybe it wasn't malicious but still reckless and still caused a significant injury. This type of crap has no place in the game, its a simple concept the players (yes even some Leaf players aren't getting) and that is WHEN YOU SEE THE GUYS NUMBER TO THE WALL YOU DONT TOUCH HIM! Its that simple an really its both the players fault for not getting it, and the leagues fault for not coming down harder on this

Don't take this as me being a Leafs homer here, because I have called out Fraser, Phaneuf and Orr for the same crap, its an entire league and player personell issue.

dfunk

Feb 1, 2012
When a player takes a penalty on someone it's almost a sure thing that they will get a 5 minute major if that player stays down on the ice, especially if there's a pool of blood.

It was a brain fart on Fisher's part, he's not a dirty player. I don't think he should get suspended. 5 and a game which in turn took his team right out of the game is punishment enough. Hopefully Franson can play Saturday, I'd bet on him having a shield on though.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
It was a brain fart on Fisher's part, he's not a dirty player. I don't think he should get suspended. 5 and a game which in turn took his team right out of the game is punishment enough. Hopefully Franson can play Saturday, I'd bet on him having a shield on though.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but it doesn't matter what his history is or isn't, the fact is he caused a serious injury to another player and yes its worthy of a suspension, time for the league to really start cracking down on these goofs who headshot/hit from behind/knee on knee etc.

EDDIE20*

When a player takes a penalty on someone it's almost a sure thing that they will get a 5 minute major if that player stays down on the ice, especially if there's a pool of blood.

It was a brain fart on Fisher's part, he's not a dirty player. I don't think he should get suspended. 5 and a game which in turn took his team right out of the game is punishment enough. Hopefully Franson can play Saturday, I'd bet on him having a shield on though.

I don't care if it was a brain fart on Fisher's part. It was a generous play, period. Just because he doesn't have a history doesn't mean there shouldn't be consequences. Kessel was suspended recently and took his punishment. So can Fisher.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012

41.5 Game Misconduct Penalty - When a major penalty is imposed under this rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent, a game misconduct shall be imposed.

Injury to face or head = 5 and game. No surprise, called it right out of the rule book.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/10/10/hit-on-maple-leafs-franson-could-have-ended-worse

Mike Fisher is not a dirty player.

But with apologies to his famous wife Carrie Underwood, Fisher certainly had a brain cramp when he jammed Cody Franson from behind into the curved glass at the end of the Leaf bench with 6:42 remaining in regulation of the Maple Leafs 4-0 victory over the Nashville Predators on Thursday night.

The hit left Franson lying face first on the ice before being helped to the Toronto dressing room. Fisher, meanwhile, received a major for boarding, a suitable punishment for a silly decision.

Fisher was said to have expressed surprise at the call, referring to the incident as a hockey play.

Really? Does he remember what happened on March 8, 2011? Everyone else does.

On that date, Boston’s Zdeno Chara shoved Montreal’s Max Pacioretty into the stanchion at the end of the bench at Montreal’s Bell Centre, resulting in the Habs forward being taken off the ice on a stretcher after laying motionless on the ice for several minutes. Pacioretty suffered a fracture to the 4th cervical vertebra and a severe concussion.

It’s a dangerous play that does not belong in the game.

At the same time, the Chara-Pacioretty incident did cause the league to replace unforgiving steel stanchions at the end of benches with curved glass such as that in Nashville. Had that not been in place, who knows how scary the Franson injury would have been?

Franson was seen after the game walking out of the dressing room with stitches in his nose, a gash coach Randy Carlyle attributed to Franson’s visor, which sliced his face upon impact.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
That play should be reviewed by the NHL.
Even if there is no suspension handed out this incident should be on file against Fischer.
If you let everything go because the guy is not a dirty player he will be able to get away with more reckless plays in the future.
I hope Franson can dress against Edmonton. even if just for the PP. Cut Jake and Morgan loose for some extra minutes Saturday. they are young!

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Him and Orr have a few names on their blacklist all ready.

As much as I love Orr/Mclaren do you really think Fisher is going to drop the gloves with either of them? No he's not, he knows he'll get smoked, so either he'll bait them into dropping the gloves (to get a powerplay) or one of Nashville's goons will jump in to protect him. This is my issue with fighthing it does NOTHING to solve all the dirty plays in the game, enetertaning? For sure, effective? not so much.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The cut is from the visor probably which easily saved him further damage. Just imagine had he not had that visor....I wonder where Don Cherry is after that lol

Had he not had a visor, he wouldn't have been cut.

Just a really tough blow to the side of his head/helmet, but no facial damage.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012

And had Fisher not slammed him head first into the boards from behind we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Stop blaming Franson and start putting the blame on where it should be..... Mike Fisher

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
That play should be reviewed by the NHL.
Even if there is no suspension handed out this incident should be on file against Fischer.
If you let everything go because the guy is not a dirty player he will be able to get away with more reckless plays in the future.
I hope Franson can dress against Edmonton. even if just for the PP. Cut Jake and Morgan loose for some extra minutes Saturday. they are young!

Rule 41 states that if he gets another 5 and game for boarding this year it's an auto 1 game suspension + review, so it's marked down in a book even if there isn't a suspension for this particular play. Personally I feel a suspension of 1-2 games would send the message that this hit is definitely dangerous and should not happen.

Also he was fined $100 automatically... less than pocket change I know but it's on the books and he'll be a repeat offender if something similar happens.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012

Just a really tough blow to the side of his head/helmet, but no facial damage.

Or his nose broken and a few teeth missing and a concussion. Cuts both ways (bad pun I know)

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
You'd be surprised. The tough guys who are often the smart ones off the ice.

Parros is pretty smart. He has a degree from Stanford (IIRC). Also Stu Grimson is a lawyer (a pretty good one by all accounts).

Tyler Biggs*

Really disgusted with the Predators fans, reminds me of Philly fans with no integrity and respect. When a player goes down and then gets up, you're supposed to cheer him. Then when the guilty player is penalized, you don't boo the decision. It was dirty move by a clean player and I'm sad to see that he (Mike Fisher) did it. Must have been frustrated at the score but, you don't risk another person's safety because you're mad.

Leafs made them pay though with 2 PP goals!

EDDIE20*

Rule 41 states that if he gets another 5 and game for boarding this year it's an auto 1 game suspension + review, so it's marked down in a book even if there isn't a suspension for this particular play. Personally I feel a suspension of 1-2 games would send the message that this hit is definitely dangerous and should not happen.

Also he was fined $100 automatically... less than pocket change I know but it's on the books and he'll be a repeat offender if something similar happens.

You gotta be kidding.... That's like us getting a $100 fine. Big ****in' deal.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
Fisher got punished for the result not for the action, as always in nhl.
He didn't do it on purpose, unlike someone :cough: Cooke :cough:

It was a dangerous play that resulted in an injury. He got the punishment that is written in the book. It was a boarding infraction that resulted in an injury to the head or face, 5 and a game. Much like an unintentional high-stick that draws blood gets 2x2min minor penalties. Intent doesn't matter in this call.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad