Injury Report: Cody Franson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wasp

Feb 27, 2004
T.O.
Late in the game, Nashville forward Mike Fisher was assessed a major for boarding and a game misconduct after hitting former Predators defenceman Cody Franson into the boards by the Toronto bench. Franson left a pool of blood on the ice and did not return.

"It was just a hockey play," Fisher said. "First of all, hopefully he's OK. I felt bad he got hurt, but it was just a play where we kind of went into the glass. There was obviously no intent at all and very surprised to get a penalty. I didn't feel like it was a penalty. It cost the team, which is unfortunate. Obviously I was pretty fired up after they called it."

Yikes. "Didn't feel like it was a penalty?" Players really need to start realizing that lack of intent doesn't equal lack of penalty. It was a clear hit from behind with plenty of time for him to let up. The "it was just a hockey play" logic is extremely flawed. Just because it happened during a game of hockey doesn't mean it's "just a hockey play".

Not to say that Fisher is a dirty player or was intending to injure, but it was a dumb play on his part and an even dumber statement afterwards. Hits from behind are incredibly dangerous and cause some of the worst injuries in hockey (concussions, broken necks, etc.) and deserve to be heavily penalized regardless of intent.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Had he not had a visor, he wouldn't have been cut.

And had Fisher not slammed him head first into the boards from behind we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Stop blaming Franson and start putting the blame on where it should be..... Mike Fisher

Dramatic much? Fisher didn't slam his head anywhere. It was just an ill-advised push from behind.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://blogs.tennessean.com/predators/2013/10/11/no-hearing-for-fisher/

Per the NHL, there is currently no hearing scheduled for Mike Fisher for his five minute major boarding play on Cody Franson late in Thursday’s game between Nashville and Toronto.

Fisher called it a hockey play, and Franson had to leave the game after he was pushed into the glass turnbuckle near the end of the Toronto bench. Franson was cut by his visor, and left a pool of blood on the ice.

The outspoken Franson was not made available by the Maple Leafs last night to discuss the issue.

The NHL takes a lot of factors into consideration on plays like this. Fisher is a clean player with no prior history of suspendable play. Also, though Fisher pushed Franson from behind, the play didn’t look malicious, and seemed like just a split-second mistake on Fisher’s part in regards to where he hit Franson per the location of the play on the ice.

Two seasons ago, Boston’s Zdeno Chara slammed Montreal’s Mac Pacrioretty into a turnbuckle, which gave Paciortetty a concussion. Back then the turnbuckles were square, and much more dangerous. The NHL rounded them in order to prevent injuries like Pacioretty’s from happening again.

We saw how important this new safety device could be Thursday. If it was still square, Franson’s face would have hit it flush, and instead of a cut nose, his injury could have been much worse.

Drugstorecowboi

May 5, 2009
That was a dirty play by Fisher I don't care what anyone says. It did not look like a "last second" decision either... He knew he was going to hit Cody from behind and wanted to make it look like it was a last second thing. I'm sure a lot of you or perhaps all of you have played the game of hockey, weather it's on the ice, or street hockey with your pals, hits like that are not last second decisions.

Lastly, I'm pretty sure Fisher will have to answer for his action the next time the Preds/Leafs play.

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
That was a dirty play by Fisher I don't care what anyone says. It did not look like a "last second" decision either... He knew he was going to hit Cody from behind and wanted to make it look like it was a last second thing. I'm sure a lot of you or perhaps all of you have played the game of hockey, weather it's on the ice, or street hockey with your pals, hits like that are not last second decisions.

Lastly, I'm pretty sure Fisher will have to answer for his action the next time the Preds/Leafs play.

It was not a dirty play, it was a stupid play. He was trying to ride him into the boards but it was a bad spot and Franson hit his face. The call on the ice was the right call. Nothing more needs to come of this.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
You can take the Sen out of Ottawa...

I'm just glad Franson is alright. That was certainly a penalty and considering the injury worthy of getting booted out of the game. In the end we got the points, Franson can play Saturday, so I'll take that and move on to the next game.

Phaneuffan3

Beleafer
Aug 22, 2011
The HC - Ontario
The cut is from the visor probably which easily saved him further damage. Just imagine had he not had that visor....I wonder where Don Cherry is after that lol

Likely preparing a speech about following a guy to the boards and seeing his numbers the whole way in. I like fisher and don't believe he's a dirty player but that was a reckless play.

Shouldn't matter where on the ice it occurred, followed his numbers in and pushed him in the danger zone(2-3' from the boards). It's a play that happens a lot in the course of the game but it is a dangerous play

Phaneuffan3

Beleafer
Aug 22, 2011
The HC - Ontario
As much as I love Orr/Mclaren do you really think Fisher is going to drop the gloves with either of them? No he's not, he knows he'll get smoked, so either he'll bait them into dropping the gloves (to get a powerplay) or one of Nashville's goons will jump in to protect him. This is my issue with fighthing it does NOTHING to solve all the dirty plays in the game, enetertaning? For sure, effective? not so much.

Who says he has to drop his gloves, remember Orr/kaleta last year?

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
It was not a dirty play, it was a stupid play. He was trying to ride him into the boards but it was a bad spot and Franson hit his face. The call on the ice was the right call. Nothing more needs to come of this.

Yes it was dirty he hit him when he was in a defensless position, it could have been a LOT worse if he didn't have a visor or wasn't wearing a helmet. If he wanted to ride him along the boards fine then yell it out to Franson "keep your head up I'm coming" or wait to line him up shoulder-to-shoulder.... there was no bloody need to shove him from behind and I really do hope the league looks into it.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Who says he has to drop his gloves, remember Orr/kaleta last year?

And using the Scott incident as a citation the league doesn't really care if goons randomly drop the gloves and jump another player.

For the record I do NOT support this at all, and don't think we need to jump Mike Fisher next time we play Nashville. Just have Dion and Fraser know when he's on the ice and lay the body extra heavy, but don't go trying to hurt him.

Phaneuffan3

Beleafer
Aug 22, 2011
The HC - Ontario
And using the Scott incident as a citation the league doesn't really care if goons randomly drop the gloves and jump another player.

For the record I do NOT support this at all, and don't think we need to jump Mike Fisher next time we play Nashville. Just have Dion and Fraser know when he's on the ice and lay the body extra heavy, but don't go trying to hurt him.

I don't support the idea, it was simply a retort to the poster who was saying fisher wouldn't drop his gloves and would bait him with a penalty. All I was doing was reminding posters that we have addressed similar situations in the past

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Sportsnet.ca: Leafs’ Cody Franson: Fisher didn’t mean to hurt me

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/franson-fisher-didnt-mean-to-injury/

Leafs’ Franson: Fisher didn’t mean to hurt me

Cody Franson wore a cage on Friday after being hit from behind by Mike Fisher in a game on Thursday. But Franson was all forgiveness, saying Fisher is not a dirty guy.

0:44 | October 11, 2013 |Hockey, NHL, Toronto Maple Leafs

Tyler Biggs*

The stanchions are always there, and Fisher knew exactly what he was doing and had full view of where the boards/stanchions were. You hit from behind near the boards, and drive them into the glass that's a boarding penalty. Fisher isn't known to be a dirty player, but it was a dirty and careless play and kind of surprised he would do that. Get better soon Cody.

Last edited by a moderator:

thunderhawk905*

Bottom line, Franson is a tough kid and he was out there practicing today. Gotta love that kind of attitude and even though I'm sure many other players in the NHL might do the same, it feels good knowing we have someone like that again on this team.

Guy deserves that first goal, hopefully on Saturday.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/10/11/bernier-gives-maple-leafs-great-confidence

FRANSON WILL PLAY

Cody Franson won’t win any beauty contests, but he’ll make it to Saturday night’s contest against the Oilers.

Knocked nose-first into the stanchion at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville on Thursday night, the Toronto defenceman departed the ice, leaving a puddle of blood. But after a difficult flight home where the cabin pressure increased his discomfort, Franson joined the team on Friday morning wearing a full bubble cage to protect five-to-10 stitches. He hopes to shed it by game time, pending medical clearance.

His biggest worry — a concussion from the hit delivered by Nashville’s Mike Fisher — was not detected.

“All the symptoms are pretty good, it’s just a matter of pain,” Franson said.

Nothing had come from the league as of Friday afternoon about a possible suspension for Fisher, who quickly texted his old teammate after the game to make sure he was recovering. Franson had just thrown the puck up ice and was unable to get his hands back out to protect being ridden into the protruding pole.

“I had no choice but to go face-first,” Franson said. “But that’s not Fisher’s style. He didn’t mean to do that. It’s over with as far as I’m concerned.”

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Saw him interviewed on a Sportscentre segment this morning about Rielly. Just a small cut on the upper part of his nose...it seems insane to think all that blood came from that.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Dramatic much? Fisher didn't slam his head anywhere. It was just an ill-advised push from behind.

That's the point- shouldn't have done that. That's not a ****ing hockey play to push someone on the numbers so close to the boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad