Cody Franson, what to do?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
But we have nobody to replace him at the moment.

Unless the Leafs have tanked the standings by the deadline and are in firesale mode, don't be surprised if the team giving him the 5X5.5 is the Leafs.

Is having Phaneuf and Franson tying up $12.5 mil in cap space smart to you? Oh and if you add Gardiner it's $16.5 mil. Really?

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Is having Phaneuf and Franson tying up $12.5 mil in cap space smart to you? Oh and if you add Gardiner it's $16.5 mil. Really?

I didn't say anything about it being smart or not.

However, I doubt the Leafs are interested in weakening their defense. At least not in the position in the standings they are currently sitting in.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I say it doesn't matter. It's not like you're messing with a Stanley Cup winning D core.

It absolutely matters.

Regardless of whether or not a team's defense group has won the Cup or not, a team trying to make the playoffs probably doesn't want to intentionally weaken their own defense. Now, if they think they can find an improvement in FA for a similar price, that's a different story. If they tank the standings and decide to sell and rebuild, that's also a different story.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I didn't say anything about it being smart or not.

However, I doubt the Leafs are interested in weakening their defense. At least not in the position in the standings they are currently sitting in.
I agree. Instead, we're probably going to see Bozak traded and Franson occupying his spot cap-wise. The other ones that'll probably going to be marketed heavily will be Clarkson or Lupul.

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
I would rather push hard for Seabrook/Yandle and trade Franson and Lupul at the deadline
You would end up overpaying for Seabrook/Yandle but upgrade your defense and the added extra space ( 5.5 and 5.25 - Franson and Lupul ) could be used to pay for Kadri

Phaneuf and Franson at $12M sounds horrible
Id much rather spend $14M with Phaneuf and Seabrook/Yandle

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
I would trade Bozak and Franson for E. Staal.

Bozak is producing as much as Staal at half the cost and they can either re-sign franson or trade him for at least a 2nd + prospect. This would be similar to the Vanek for Moulson +1st trade which worked out real well for Buffalo

For us, it would set our C depth longterm with Staal, Kadri, Nylander, Santorelli, Holland, Gauthier, Carrick. Truth is, it would hit our defense but luckily that is a position of organizational strength. We could also trade Lupul + for a good RHD like Michalek if our D cant adjust quickly.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I would rather push hard for Seabrook/Yandle and trade Franson and Lupul at the deadline
You would end up overpaying for Seabrook/Yandle but upgrade your defense and the added extra space ( 5.5 and 5.25 - Franson and Lupul ) could be used to pay for Kadri

Phaneuf and Franson at $12M sounds horrible
Id much rather spend $14M with Phaneuf and Seabrook/Yandle

Which would also cost us significant assets to acquire, keep in mind.

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
I would trade Bozak and Franson for E. Staal.

Bozak is producing as much as Staal at half the cost and they can either re-sign franson or trade him for at least a 2nd + prospect.

If Bozak is producing as much as Staal for less money, why would you want to make that trade?

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
What would cost us significant assets?

Both Seabrook and Yandle are UFA after next season. If anything we would be getting the assets from trading away Franson and Lupul

Both have one year left after this season, actually.

EDIT: Sorry, could have sworn you said this season. That still leaves us with a year's gap hoping and waiting for one of them to hit free agency. My bet: neither do.

Trade is probably the only way you land those guys, realistically.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
If Bozak is producing as much as Staal for less money, why would you want to make that trade?

Staal is bigger, has better possession and is on a team that's slumping. We would be trading for potential and character but I think its worth it from our perspective

Edit: plus it would be asset management. Capitalizing on two assets playing the best hockey of their life for a player playing his worst hockey. I don't see franson staying with us longterm anyway

Last edited:

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
Both have one year left after this season, actually.

EDIT: Sorry, could have sworn you said this season. That still leaves us with a year's gap hoping and waiting for one of them to hit free agency. My bet: neither do.

Trade is probably the only way you land those guys, realistically.

You could be right that a trade would be necessary but Chicago can NOT afford to keep Seabrook unless they make a big trade.

What about Michalek, Boychuk or Petry? They are UFA's after this season

I can also see another 1 year contract for Franson.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
You could be right that a trade would be necessary but Chicago can NOT afford to keep Seabrook unless they make a big trade.

Franson's likely to get a multiple year offer from someone else. He'd have to really love the Leafs to take another 1 year IMO.

I doubt Boychuk gets much less, to be honest. Michalek and Petry are probably downgrades at this point...unless Franson goes back to last season's play. :laugh:

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

Franson is going to get paid this off-season. There is no chance that he takes a 1 year deal. Franson's agent and Cody himself are looking at last year's deals that the Washington Capitals gave out and are saying thank you! Brooks Orpik got 5.5 on a long term deal and Matt Niskanen got more. Cody Franson has put up more points than both of them combined, plays a little less and is a coveted right handed shot.

A UFA that I would sign after this season would be Johnny Boychuk. He's a tougher guy and can play big minutes.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
Franson is going to get paid this off-season. There is no chance that he takes a 1 year deal. Franson's agent and Cody himself are looking at last year's deals that the Washington Capitals gave out and are saying thank you! Brooks Orpik got 5.5 on a long term deal and Matt Niskanen got more. Cody Franson has put up more points than both of them combined, plays a little less and is a coveted right handed shot.

A UFA that I would sign after this season would be Johnny Boychuk. He's a tougher guy and can play big minutes.

I wouldn't sign Boychuck or Franson. Don't overpay for the second line/pairing types (Clarkson, Orpik, Niskanen). Teams that do it almost always regret it. If we could get a guy like that for 4M, then I would do it, but otherwise I would look internally (percy, Loov maybe granberg) or look for a trade.

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga

While I agree he will get paid, Orpik and Niskanen arent putting up a real effort for the first time like Franson is

RLF

May 5, 2014

Others will likely go before Seabrook. He is a heart and soul guy and huge for them every playoffs.

ironhorse384

Dec 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Carolina didn't trade for Jordan so they could trade Eric. Regardless of what the leafs do with Franson he's going to get a raise next year whether he stays or goes. Its going to depend on how much the leafs want to pay and where he fits into their plans going forward.

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
I wouldn't sign Boychuck or Franson. Don't overpay for the second line/pairing types (Clarkson, Orpik, Niskanen). Teams that do it almost always regret it. If we could get a guy like that for 4M, then I would do it, but otherwise I would look internally (percy, Loov maybe granberg) or look for a trade.

What $4M RD would you sign to play top minutes with Dion?

As much as I like our prospects, if we play anyone other than Robidas, Phaneuf, or Franson on the top line it will be a very long season. ( I don't mean because we'll be in the playoffs )
Even Rielly isnt ready for top 3 minutes and he is our best D prospect we have right now

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
Others will likely go before Seabrook. He is a heart and soul guy and huge for them every playoffs.

You dont have many options
Sharp, Toews, Kane, Hossa, Crawford, Seabrook or Keith

At least 1 has to go with guys like Saad and Kruger both looking for a raise this year

That doesnt even include the fact that after resigning Seabrook, they will need to give raises to Raanta, VanRiemsdyk, and Shaw that same year

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Carolina didn't trade for Jordan so they could trade Eric. Regardless of what the leafs do with Franson he's going to get a raise next year whether he stays or goes. Its going to depend on how much the leafs want to pay and where he fits into their plans going forward.

Their GM has changed since acquiring Jordan and I don't think Carolina is happy paying E. Staal that type of money for his current production, especially when they look like a team about to tank. In fact, if I were them I would trade Jordan too and build around Lindholm, skinner, Faulk, this years first (which looks to be either McDavid, Eichel, or Hanifin- all superstar talents) and next years first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad