Cody Franson or Michael Del Zotto

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I voted both because I think the Leafs could make it work adding MDZ as the 7th Dman, which would allow him to be used selectively to augment his abilities and off-set his deficiencies.

Although it's not a guarantee, I have a feeling MDZ is better than any playing in the pipeline, and would be worth a shot.

I would look at signing MDZ to a two-year deal at $2M if that's possible (likely MDZ just wants 1-yr deals to "showcase" himself, but that's what I would try for. If he does really well, then he is still signed another year and becomes a good trade piece.

If not, then a $2M buyout isn't a back-breaker. And he can probably be buried easier than not.

The Leafs still have $7+ mil in cap space with only Jake Gardiner and possibly Reimer remaining to be signed. Let's give Gardiner $4.5M/yr and that leaves $2.1M to re-sign Reimer, or he can get traded for futures, then the Leafs sign a backup goalie or promote internally.

It closes the door on spending to bring in Brodeur to help mentor Bernier, unless Brodeur can be convinced to sign in Toronto for $2.1M (which is highly unlikely), but I'm not sure that's a realistic option anyways.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Franson is better defensively and offensively. Not to mention he's much more physical.

that is all true, and scary at the same time ...MDZ is really bad, maybe he could become a soft scoring winger, ala Raymond?

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Tyler Bozak ($4.200m) / Phil Kessel ($8.000m)
Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m) / Nazem Kadri ($2.900m) / David Clarkson ($5.250m)
Leo Komarov ($2.950m) / Petri Kontiola ($1.100m) / Mike Santorelli ($1.500m)
Matt Frattin ($0.800m) / Peter Holland ($0.775m) / Carter Ashton ($0.851m)
Troy Bodie ($0.600m) / Trevor Smith ($0.550m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dion Phaneuf ($7.000m) / Cody Franson ($3.300m)
Stephane Robidas ($3.000m) / Jake Gardiner ($4.500m)
Morgan Rielly ($0.894m) / Roman Polak ($2.750m)
Michael Del Zotto ($2.000m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Bernier ($2.900m)
James Reimer ($2.100m)
BUYOUTS
Mike Komisarek ($0.000m)
Mikhail Grabovski ($0.000m)
Tim Gleason ($0.833m)
RETAINED SALARIES (0.29% of upper limit)
Carl Gunnarsson ($0.200m—6.35%)
BONUS OVERAGE
$450,000
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,903,000; BONUSES: $850,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $97,000

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
What about players who were throw ins in a trade for Brett Lebda? What about players who are the worst defensemen defensively on the worst defensive team.

If the Leafs are so concerned about offense on the back end, just trade Franson for a 2nd or a prospect and sign MDZ, who fits perfectly on the 3rd pairing with Polak while being cheaper.

You mean players still better than said guy at every possible aspect of hockey? Absolutely. Franson actually got better when he got here. They didn't waive him for being so bad it was pointless to even try trading him

getyourselfsomerest

Jul 22, 2011
You mean players still better than said guy at every possible aspect of hockey? Absolutely. Franson actually got better when he got here. They didn't waive him for being so bad it was pointless to even try trading him

He's still the worse Dman on this team to the point where I wonder if he can defense against NHL players. He's horrible at it. MDZ is 3 years younger. Franson was a nobody when he was MDZ's age. If you can dump Franson's contract, pick up a 2nd, and sign MDZ for cheaper in order to fill the 3LD need, that's a great deal. Just Franson, or MDZ+2nd+more cap room?

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
He's still the worse Dman on this team to the point where I wonder if he can defense against NHL players. He's horrible at it. MDZ is 3 years younger. Franson was a nobody when he was MDZ's age. If you can dump Franson's contract, pick up a 2nd, and sign MDZ for cheaper in order to fill the 3LD need, that's a great deal. Just Franson, or MDZ+2nd+more cap room?

Or, everything you said except anything to do with MDZ and we use Granberg, who knows what his end looks like

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008
MDZ's biggest knock in junior was his work ethic (especially off the ice). He had loads of talent but his work ethic sucked. I suspect it hasn't changed. Too bad for him.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
The gap would have to be larger than 1.3 million for me to take MDZ, which I happen to think it would be in reality. I'd take him at a million over Franson, much of which has to do with the fact that the right side is spoken for on the bottom and middle pairing. Perhaps we could still afford MDZ at a million and use Franson as the 7th d plus 1st pp.

Gardiner / Phaneuf
Rielly / Robidas
MDZ / Polak

Franson

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
Honestly, both. With one year deals we can at the very least turn them into some sort of draft pick while also having the first chance to lock one up if they get their games together. MDZ was supposed to be a solid dman and Franson just needs to clean up his game to be an effective #5 (maybe even 4) with great PP upside and a great shot on the PP.

With one year deals its very low risk, high reward in my eyes. There isn't much left to spend our money on anyways unless we are going to pull of a blockbuster.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I'd rather not have either on our Leafs.

Del Zotto is younger, and a better skater, so, if I had to, I'd try him as a winger.

The Great Gazoo

Hello, dum dum
May 2, 2014
Isle of Van
Del Zotto is terrible. I'm not sure I'd even want him as my 7th man. There are better options currently in the minors than him. I don't even mind Franson at 3.3 million. You just have to understand his limitations, and work within them.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
The only reason you would sign Del Zotto is to send him to the AHL and hope he re-learns to play.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
No contest. Franson was a good player two years ago, altho in a sheltered environment. Del Zotto has never been more than the value of his offensive stats but never built on the apparent promise he began with. I don't think Franson is going to be with the club long term but he is way more likely to have a decent year. DZ is a project and they don't need more of those.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
MDZ's biggest knock in junior was his work ethic (especially off the ice). He had loads of talent but his work ethic sucked. I suspect it hasn't changed. Too bad for him.

Michael Del Zotto was once upon a time a very highly rated player in juniors, drafted second overall in the 2006 priority draft behind Steven Stamkos out of the same Markham Waxers program, and right ahead of Alex Pietrangelo. He was a really highly rated prospect for the 2008 draft as well, but fell on draft day and really didn't have the career people were expecting. I'd still take a Mason Raymond style flyer on him...

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Fransen was someone that most Leaf fans on this board fell in love with 2 years ago. He had a bad year and now he's a bum.

He's not as good as he was 2 years ago and he's not a bad as he was last year. Somewhere in the middle is a decent 4-6 dman.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Fransen was someone that most Leaf fans on this board fell in love with 2 years ago. He had a bad year and now he's a bum.

He's not as good as he was 2 years ago and he's not a bad as he was last year. Somewhere in the middle is a decent 4-6 dman.

Making north of 3.3M very shortly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad