Cody Franson or Michael Del Zotto

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
With Franson now re-upping for 1 year at $3.3 million, would Leafer's prefer Franson at his current term, or MDZ, if he could be signed for $1.8-$2m?

I realize Franson is a righty and MDZ is a lefty. Who would fit into the Leafs long-term plans, and have the most to offer?

BB

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
If Franson can regain his form from the lockout season (albeit, it may be hard since the entire team seemed to click) then he's easily better than MDZ and easily worth 3.3 million.

Here's hoping he can bounce back.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Welp .. Considering the Leafs hold Franson's rights, letting him walk for nothing just to resign a player who may be marginally better seems like poor asset management

At least the Leafs can still trade Franson for a future asset

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
One produces offense and can't play D, the other used to produce offense and can't play D

I'll take Franson at 3.3 over MDZ at any price, and I don't like Franson

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Del Zotto may be a better skater but he is inferior defensively and offensively to Franson. And if you're worse than Franson defensively, you're pretty damn bad.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Saying "if franson regains form" should be compared to "if MDZ regains form" the guy with 41 points and plus 20. He's also 3 years younger and by that metric half the price. Not even close.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I'll take a RHD, who produces points, who is actually wanted by NHL teams.

Hopefully with a full training camp, he can rebound.
I don't like his contract negotiations, and I'll think he'll walk next July.

Boyhood teams mean nothing anymore...ask Bolland.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Rather take my chances with Del Zotto. Give MDZ a camp invite and let the two dual it out.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Trade Franson for other assets like picks and signing Del Zotto is without a doubt the best solution.

Leafs simply need to get a deeper pool of assets and losing Franson as a UFA after next season would be as terrible as losing Grabo, Kulemin, Raymond, CMac so we could instead lose them for nothing in years where we weren't competing anywhere near a contender.

We also shouldn't be signing Franson to a big long term silly UFA type deal because he really isn't what the Leafs need as a long term fix with Phaneuf, Rielly, Gardiner being very well set for good offensive Dmen who can eat up a lot PP time.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Would you kindly care to elaborate on this, or does this constitute all you have to offer the discussion?

BB

If I had to guess, I would imagine that the issue he has is that you are assuming that MDZ can be signed for $1.8-$2M.

Comparing a player signed to a fair-market value contract to a UFA and presenting value that may or may not be FMV isn't a fair comparison.

It could well be that the reason MDZ is un-signed is due to his agent holding out for more money/term and also limiting the market to specific teams.

I think it quite probable that if MDZ can be signed at $1.8M he'd be signed already.

UFA negotiations are atwo-way street, and MDZ has time to consider his options.

He can also, very likely, get good money in the KHL, and is probably weighing that against whatever offers he is entertaining/waiting for in the NHL.

In terms of player for player comparison, irrespective of the contracts, Franson has 322GP 28G 105A 133PTS for 0.41 points/game.

Del Zotto has 317GP 27G 99A 126PTS for a career 0.39 points/game.

Franson is a career +/- of +8, whereas Del Zotto is a career +/- of -8.

Del Zotto also has had the benefit of playing with Lundqvist and Pekka Rinne, whereas Franson, although also playing with Pekka Rinne, has had to deal with Reimer, Gustavsson, Giguere, Scrivens and finally Bernier. Granted Reimer and Bernier have put solid numbers for goaltenders, but not quite Lundqvist numbers.

So I think the +/- stats support the statement that other posters are making about MDZ being worse defensively.

When you compare hits, Franson blows it out of the park, although during MDZ's "better years" he was comparable, notching 162 in 09-10 and 156 in 11-12.

Del Zotto has had to deal with on-going injuries, and that's probably lead to the noticeable decline in hits. Also coaching differences between Torts and AV may factor in as well.

Overall though, the stats suggest that Franson is markedly better, as likely supported by OP based on the assumption that MDZ should be signed for a smaller deal anyways.

So really, the question posed by OP could be re-worded to ask if MDZ is better than Franson if it gives us $1.5M more in cap space.

My answer to that is still a no, because we're talking about 1 year deals and I don't see a way for the Leafs to spend that money productively, as we basically just have Jake Gardiner remaining unsigned to complete the roster.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
How anyone can actually want Del Zotto is beyond me. AHL contract? Sure. But his defense has always been suspect all the way back to the OHL and it's gotten worse. His offense is terrible now as well. He's not an NHL player. If there was a thread that could possibly allow Franson to achieve Norris votes on this forum, it's this one.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
If I had to guess, I would imagine that the issue he has is that you are assuming that MDZ can be signed for $1.8-$2M.

Comparing a player signed to a fair-market value contract to a UFA and presenting value that may or may not be FMV isn't a fair comparison.

It could well be that the reason MDZ is un-signed is due to his agent holding out for more money/term and also limiting the market to specific teams.

I think it quite probable that is MDZ can be signed at $1.8M he'd be signed already.

UFA negotiations are atwo-way street, and MDZ has time to consider his options.

He can also, very likely, get good money in the KHL, and is probably weighing that against whatever offers he is entertaining/waiting for in the NHL.

In terms of player for player comparison, irrespective of the contracts, Franson has 322GP 28G 105A 133PTS for 0.41 points/game.

Del Zotto has 317GP 27G 99A 126PTS for a career 0.39 points/game.

Franson is a career +/- of +8, whereas Del Zotto is a career +/- of -8.

Del Zotto also has had the benefit of playing with Lundqvist and Pekka Rinne, whereas Franson, although also playing with Pekka Rinne, has had to deal with Reimer, Gustavsson, Giguere, Scrivens and finally Bernier. Granted Reimer and Bernier have put solid numbers for goaltenders, but not quite Lundqvist numbers.

So I think the +/- stats support the statement that other posters are making about MDZ being worse defensively.

When you compare hits, Franson blows it out of the park, although during MDZ's "better years" he was comparable, notching 162 in 09-10 and 156 in 11-12.

Del Zotto has had to deal with on-going injuries, and that's probably lead to the noticeable decline in hits. Also coaching differences between Torts and AV may factor in as well.

Overall though, the stats suggest that Franson is markedly better, as likely supported by OP based on the assumption that MDZ should be signed for a smaller deal anyways.

So really, the question posed by OP could be re-worded to ask if MDZ is better than Franson if it gives us $1.5M more in cap space.

My answer to that is still a no, because we're talking about 1 year deals and I don't see a way for the Leafs to spend that money productively, as we basically just have Jake Gardiner remaining unsigned to complete the roster.

At this point, Del Zotto could be signed to a 750k contract and he'd jump for joy. Agents of players who were chased out of one city and waived out of another don't hold out for more money.

getyourselfsomerest

Jul 22, 2011
At this point, Del Zotto could be signed to a 750k contract and he'd jump for joy. Agents of players who were chased out of one city and waived out of another don't hold out for more money.

What about players who were throw ins in a trade for Brett Lebda? What about players who are the worst defensemen defensively on the worst defensive team.

If the Leafs are so concerned about offense on the back end, just trade Franson for a 2nd or a prospect and sign MDZ, who fits perfectly on the 3rd pairing with Polak while being cheaper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad