Player Discussion Cody Eakin

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
He's been good between KO and Zem
"good" ... but I'd still say he contributes very little outside of faceoff wins. The closer I watch him, he's just really not good at much on the ice and seems to be on the wrong side of the puck a lot. He's hardly a problem like he was last year, but he's certainly not a guy you want out there for any crucial minutes.

For next year, this should be an area they look to improve. Zemgus and Okposo can still play. It'd be great to find a true 4th line center who is also good at faceoffs and has a defensive acumen. They obviously had that in Larsson, but doubt he'd be willing to come back here.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Gotta think Buffalo's offer was far and away more than he was offered anywhere else last year so he took the money and mailed it in. He's been better this year, but it's likely because he doesn't want to be out of the NHL next season. If we get anything of value for him at the deadline, it'll be a total win. I think most posters had him on a bus for Rochester this summer.

Reactions: Jacob582

TheHelmet

Feb 10, 2021
Pat Laftonaines Trophy Room
He gets crap because it was painful to watch that Eakin,Okposo,Reider line last year.

opposing team is tired as hell and ices the puck............ sends Eakin out

Players are always going to get a lot of crap in those instances.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
A 33 year old non point getter, isn't a core player. :D

tumblr_mxzjiwIw5Z1rwj9abo2_250.gif

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It's possible that he's able to look better since both Gus and Kyle are playing so well in their role. Just a thought.
I think a lot of it is usage change. The last 3 games are a great example. He’s not being asked to be our primary shutdown center anymore.

McDavid -> primary matchup was the Cozens line. Eakin was against him for 16 seconds.

Mathews -> Tage/Cozens lines split the matchup. Eakin played only 3mins against him.

Crosby _> Granato rolled the lines evenly against him. Eakin played about 3mins against him.

Last year Eakin would have been used like the Cozens line in the first two games. No matter how badly he got buried Krueger would keep trotting him out there in that usage.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
Last year Eakin would have been used like the Cozens line in the first two games. No matter how badly he got buried Krueger would keep trotting him out there in that usage.

Didn't Krueger even double down and praise the Reider Eakin Okposo line's shutdown ability after some game, despite eye test & advanced stats saying they're caved in? Gawd that man infuriates me still.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Didn't Krueger even double down and praise the Reider Eakin Okposo line's shutdown ability after some game, despite eye test & advanced stats saying they're caved in? Gawd that man infuriates me still.
Yes he did. I think it was after a stretch of 12 or so games in row. That line had be absolutely buried during that stretch and were one of the worst lines in hockey. But Krueger couldn’t say enough good things about them.

Reactions: DolanPlsGoSabres

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
It's possible that he's able to look better since both Gus and Kyle are playing so well in their role. Just a thought.
He had a good training camp away from Gus and Kyle as well.

He may not be great, but he came better prepared than last season.

Reactions: Chainshot

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee

I don't doubt he's playing better, but we're still talking about a fourth line overpaid center. You can get his production from someone like Adam Brooks, potentially on over a million less. Look at Larsson's numbers before his injury. He's a VASTLY superior player in every stretch for 1.1 million left. Yet he was let go, for NO REASON.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't doubt he's playing better, but we're still talking about a fourth line overpaid center. You can get his production from someone like Adam Brooks, potentially on over a million less. Look at Larsson's numbers before his injury. He's a VASTLY superior player in every stretch for 1.1 million left. Yet he was let go, for NO REASON.

Dont' get me going on them letting Larry walk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad