Confirmed with Link: Cody Almond [1yr @ 550k per, one-way]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
League minimum? Wow, that's a good deal, especially considering the numbers he put up in NLA. I'd pencil him in the 4th line LW, if we run Cooke - Haula - Nino in 3rd. Of course, it all depends whether or not Brodziak gets traded. If he does, 4C is his. Also, he should be able to jump into a bigger role in case of injuries.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
League minimum? Wow, that's a good deal, especially considering the numbers he put up in NLA. I'd pencil him in the 4th line LW, if we run Cooke - Haula - Nino in 3rd. Of course, it all depends whether or not Brodziak gets traded. If he does, 4C is his. Also, he should be able to jump into a bigger role in case of injuries.
Not sure how Swiss production is going to translate.

Side Note - Excited for the Champions League of Hockey. Hopefully the games will be streamed online. Should be cool to see the different country teams spar.

Also, it should cut off some the KHL encroachment into Europe.

DrPP

Oct 21, 2009
Not sure how Swiss production is going to translate.

Side Note - Excited for the Champions League of Hockey. Hopefully the games will be streamed online. Should be cool to see the different country teams spar.

Also, it should cut off some the KHL encroachment into Europe.

It looks like he was a 2nd line center behind a rehab-ing Lombardi. Sounds like he'd be a good fit for the 4th line. Would save a lot of money over Brodziak.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
That money works pretty well and the one-way deal essentially means he's going to be on the big league roster this year. Very excited to see what the kid can do and also very excited that we're not going to overpay for another 4th line grinder.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I don't think it is confirmed all the way because the wild have not posted about it.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
That money works pretty well and the one-way deal essentially means he's going to be on the big league roster this year. Very excited to see what the kid can do and also very excited that we're not going to overpay for another 4th line grinder.

At 500,000 K I doubt the Wild will have much problem burying him in Iowa if he can't hack it.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
I'd be pretty disappointed with just a fourth rounder for Brodziak. He's worth much more to this team than that and his cap number for the year isn't hindering them in any way. They could hold onto him for a bulk of the year and probably get a late 2nd from someone at the deadline...

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I'd be pretty disappointed with just a fourth rounder for Brodziak. He's worth much more to this team than that and his cap number for the year isn't hindering them in any way. They could hold onto him for a bulk of the year and probably get a late 2nd from someone at the deadline...

Agreed. Brodziak provides depth. No need to move him now. Almond can play wing. If we had McCormick, I'd think Minnesota move Brodziak but not now.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
At 500,000 K I doubt the Wild will have much problem burying him in Iowa if he can't hack it.

Probably not, but I'm sure their preference is him skating with the team in some capacity, whether it be him in the lineup every night or making popcorn. I'd think the only way he sees Iowa is if he completely ***** the bed.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Probably not, but I'm sure their preference is him skating with the team in some capacity, whether it be him in the lineup every night or making popcorn. I'd think the only way he sees Iowa is if he completely ***** the bed.

I'd say the the Wild signed him as insurance. The most likely reason he see's Iowa, is that Bulmer, Graovac, Gabriel or Brussierse steps up and claims a spot on the Wild.

Cheap low risk 4th liner.

J22*

At worst he can be the 13th forward and the Wild will not have to have one of the young kids spending a lot of time in the press box. The real bright side for me is that he's one more guy above Veyuseless on the depth chart.

Teddy10Beers

Dec 31, 2011
Minnesota
Signing Almond might have more to do with the future of Fontaine than with Brodziack. Fletcher has been shopping Brodziak for some time now but he could be hard to move due to his $2.8M salary. We signed Almond a couple of days after Fontaine opted for arbitration. Coincidence? I suspect Fletcher assumes the arbitration ruling for Fontaine will be too high and we will walk away. Almond signing might also give Fontaine some motiviation to get a deal done before the hearing. The day of stupid money in UFA has passed; don't see anyone giving Fontaine $2M+ as a UFA but could easily see an arbitrator doing something goofy.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Signing Almond might have more to do with the future of Fontaine than with Brodziack. Fletcher has been shopping Brodziak for some time now but he could be hard to move due to his $2.8M salary. We signed Almond a couple of days after Fontaine opted for arbitration. Coincidence? I suspect Fletcher assumes the arbitration ruling for Fontaine will be too high and we will walk away. Almond signing might also give Fontaine some motiviation to get a deal done before the hearing. The day of stupid money in UFA has passed; don't see anyone giving Fontaine $2M+ as a UFA but could easily see an arbitrator doing something goofy.

Bingo.

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth

In another thread I think somebody pointed out that for the Wild to walk away Fontaine would need to be awarded 3.5 million or more per the new CBA.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Wild gave away his rights in a trade though.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
In another thread I think somebody pointed out that for the Wild to walk away Fontaine would need to be awarded 3.5 million or more per the new CBA.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Wild gave away his rights in a trade though.

There are rules that force teams to sign a player instead of just allowing them to become UFA?

That seems ridiculous.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think Russo has stated the arbitration thing with Fontaine is normal, and both the team and his agent are still negotiating with intent to get a deal signed prior to the hearing.

We'll see how it plays out... not concerned at all yet at this point.

As for Cody Almond... I'll have to eat crow on that one. The moment he left for Europe, I thought he'd never put on a Wild sweater again.

He still has to earn a spot though... which isn't a given either, but he's got a legit chance at a 4th line spot this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad