News Article: Coach's Corner - Jet talk

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Im a Don Cherry fan going back to his bruins days-but guys its sad a 81 year old needs a job and money-must have a lonely life if thats the case

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Im a Don Cherry fan going back to his bruins days-but guys its sad a 81 year old needs a job and money-must have a lonely life if thats the case

I don't think so and good for him still going strong at 81, also it's not like he's working construction or anything

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007

He does it because he loves it. And at his age he can say what he damn well wants to say.

BTW, people who challenge his facts tend to lose. He checks his facts much more than most in media.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006

I respect him for still wanting to be a part of the hockey media world at his age instead of retiring and slowly dieing. Seniors who stay active doing what they love remain healthy and have a better quality if life.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He does it because he loves it. And at his age he can say what he damn well wants to say.

BTW, people who challenge his facts tend to lose. He checks his facts much more than most in media.

He has a hard time getting out a complete sentence without interrupting himself 4 or 5 times which makes him pretty hard to follow but at least when it comes to hockey he usually knows what he is talking about. That doesn't mean he is right but his opinions are interesting right or wrong. A lot of the other stuff he gets into he should just leave alone.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Don Cherry is a wonderful man. What you see on TV is 75% vamping for the camera. When he talks with you in person he is a fabulous story teller and very kind.

I've always liked his shtick but he is a lot more than that. He's also pretty together for an 81 year old. He has never been great at verbalizing his thoughts and knowledge which makes his phenomenal success in media that much more impressive.

It will be a national day of mourning when that man passes. :heart:

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I respect him for still wanting to be a part of the hockey media world at his age instead of retiring and slowly dieing. Seniors who stay active doing what they love remain healthy and have a better quality if life.

I volunteered in an old folks home one summer back when I was a kid.

The people who died first were the ones who sat around and did nothing all day.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
That information about the mumps and laundering was ridiculous.
Unless he team is washing stuff in domestic washers, which they aren't there is zero chance of any bacteria or virus not being killed.

That info about the washing machines was related to "the Gunk", not the mumps. I believe his info on the mumps was that the (good Canadian) kids bring it home and give it to these other guys and everythink like that.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I hope I'm half as vibrant, active and together as Cherry is when I'm 81!

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

He has repeatedly said he would do it for free if he could.

Of course cherry likes the guy, Really well spoken and he drops the gloves.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
The fact that guys like Cox and Lawless get on national television to talk hockey in a country like Canada where we have an endless amount of people who actually understand hockey and have something to contribute to the conversation is dumbfounding.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I suggested to Rogers that they give Cherry 5 minutes of broadcast, but then give him 15 extra minutes "online" for mobile devices to keep watching. Like you have your tablet handy and after the first 5 it just transitions to mobile viewing. They did respond and I'm in conversation with them now. Thoughts?

Great idea. Where do we send your name to have you as associate producer? Then we could get some real Jet coverage instead of a mention three or four times a year.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
The fact that guys like Cox and Lawless get on national television to talk hockey in a country like Canada where we have an endless amount of people who actually understand hockey and have something to contribute to the conversation is dumbfounding.

Yes!

I would rather hear 5 minutes of Don Cherry ranting about something, he is a hockey historian, given his longevity and his connection to the game. He is also a true wear it on your sleeve patriot, if not a tad xenophobic. Lawless is just a media hack, pulling at straws and puckering up for his employers.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I can't stand Lawless.........He is such a Homer ................ ( Homer Simpson = a Baffoon ) you would think that a guy that gets paid to talk about the NHL and the Jets in particular would invest a few hours and study important NHL rules and know who is in the Jets system (Draft picks). It's annoying having to hear Hustler continuesley correct him or inform him on things he should know.

As for Don Cherry .......... He is fantastic and sports centre should be increasing his time ..... Not decreasing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad