Coaching Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
If it's the players not following the 'systems', then imo it's still ultimately on the coach, as it's his job to ensure that they play the system. If he can't, then he's the wrong coach.

I haven't seen anyone benched or scratched yet, so I'm assuming they are doing mostly what they've been told.

I'm just throwing things out here, like most are, but the coach is responsible for the type of play and making the players follow through.

You can't bench the whole team - or to be more accurate, the top 6.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
they could likely get a 22+ min capable defenseman for Ehlers in return and the team needs defense. Seems like a win/win to me if Paul prefers other types of players.

If Ehlers is going somewhere then so is Laine. Maybe they could be packaged somewhere together. Don't even think about abandoning ship even though it is half-way to the bottom of the ocean :laugh:!

Although I do understand where you are coming from. If Little didn't have his injury, Laine would be stapled right there next to him and this whole situation would be even worse. I can't even imagine how bad this team would be right now if Little didn't almost have his head explode. That is pretty amazing.

Just a little frustrated. Change the ****ing coach already for real.

And Helle being a disappointment is just LOL. Imagine this team with average goaltending...

Also, the Pavelec signing was very good. Look at the big picture. That was seriously some good **** for drafting.

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
My biggest issue with laying the full blame on the players is that the coach really hasn't tried anything new. He's employing largely the same basic scheme albiet more restricted this year and the results aren't there.

Would not a smart coach say "Ok we now have about 100 games of data and things aren't going the way we anticipated so let's make some structural tweaks and see if it will improve some results" There is a good saying and that is focus on what you can control. As a coach you can control the systems, I've time, lineups. Use those tools to get the desired results. I don't believe he is fully making use of the tools he has.

I also don't buy that a group of professional athletes, many of which had to bust their asses to get to this level are inherently lazy. Maybe Maurice needs to go to his players and ask them how they think as a team they will be successful and meet them half way on some items as its clear to me that there is a lack of engagement from certain players.

Maybe he has tried and the players are not willing to buy in.
Doesn't really matter because it will fall on the coach to get them in line.

I'm not laying it all on the players BTW - I'm simply throwing out a few different angles that this could be viewed from.
I won't assume the system in place is what this coach necessarily asked for - in fact, I don't see any sort of system out there and that is the key indicator to me that he's not getting across to the players and they've taken over with what looks like a completely aimless game plan that is so hard to watch.
Do we really think the play out there right now is the result of a Mo game plan?

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I'm not laying it all on the players BTW - I'm simply throwing out a few different angles that this could be viewed from.
I won't assume the system in place is what this coach necessarily asked for - in fact, I don't see any sort of system out there and that is the key indicator to me that he's not getting across to the players and they've taken over with what looks like a completely aimless game plan that is so hard to watch.
Do we really think the play out there right now is the result of a Mo game plan?

Lately it had been much more aimless. But prior to this latest stretch it was fairly clear what he was trying to impliment.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

Its really irrelevant whether it’s Mo’s game plan or not, it’s the one the players are playing. I think it’s as likely the result of his plan as it is the effort from the players. I mean Mo himself has praised the effort from his players. Is he being disingenuous about that?

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Lately it had been much more aimless. But prior to this latest stretch it was fairly clear what he was trying to impliment.

I don't usually comment too much on what was - I'm more into what is.
Our recent play, which has dropped us out of a playoff spot, is the major issue at this point in time.
Prior to that, we were seated quite well although we were getting some help from Helle.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Its really irrelevant whether it’s Mo’s game plan or not, it’s the one the players are playing. I think it’s as likely the result of his plan as it is the effort from the players. I mean Mo himself has praised the effort from his players. Is he being disingenuous about that?

I don't think it irrelevant -
It might not be as far as Mo's career is concerned but it most certainly is when you consider next steps in getting this team back on track.
If the players are not putting in the effort, that is a different problem than the results of a system the coach is trying to implement.

Yes, Mo has on occasion noted his team played and worked hard - and he's also called them out a few times. I'm also not sure we hear the whole story during PG comments - sometimes those comments might be in an effort to keep a lid on things and not make them worse -

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I don't think it irrelevant -
It might not be as far as Mo's career is concerned but it most certainly is when you consider next steps in getting this team back on track.
If the players are not putting in the effort, that is a different problem than the results of a system the coach is trying to implement.

Yes, Mo has on occasion noted his team played and worked hard - and he's also called them out a few times. I'm also not sure we hear the whole story during PG comments - sometimes those comments might be in an effort to keep a lid on things and not make them worse -
It’s irrelevant if he can’t get them playing a system which they feel confident in playing. I don’t equate them not committing to the system as being lazy. Again, you’re entitled to think it’s an effort issue. I see a lot more problems than just effort. Regardless of which side of the argument it lies, the biggest danger comes from young players losing belief and being immersed in a losing environment. If things continue they way they are, the Jets will need to make a coaching move to protect the mindset of many of the players.

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
Hahaha one of the worst takes in a thread with plenty of them.

Hellebuyck is going to struggle, like any goalie, when 90% of the shots come within 5 feet of the net. He's likely to be a Vezina finalist in two of the past three years. What else are you looking for, the reincarnation of Terry Sawchuk?

helle will not be a vezina finalist this year...his numbers are in a free fall.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Actually, I do boil it down to hard work - because that's the part that's missing IMO.
I have no doubt the coach takes the fall for all of it - that's the way it works when teams stop playing for you.
I hope new blood behind the bench has an impact - but again, IMO, if they don't start working harder, especially in their own end, I can't see it making much of a difference

I think people misinterpret what lack of effort is at these levels. At the highest level a fraction of a second counts, if there are doubts or you are over thinking things you are now behind the play and that can appear like you aren't trying.

Confidence leads to players just reacting on the ice and it makes them appear faster and like they are trying more.

Reactions: angrymnky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad