Coaching Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I see you have read Zen and the Art of Thread Creation. :DD

Well, I'll get the ball rolling in the new year. The Preds have beaten us to the punch and I now expect them to shoot up the standings, pushing us aside. They might even win the Cup now, just like the Blues did. How much longer must we endure proven mediocrity? Fire Maurice!

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Well, I'll get the ball rolling in the new year. The Preds have beaten us to the punch and I now expect them to shoot up the standings, pushing us aside. They might even win the Cup now, just like the Blues did. How much longer must we endure proven mediocrity? Fire Maurice!
The Preds fancy stats are all on the right side of the ledger. Top 10 in just about everything. Their PK has been terrible though. Not Jets-terrible, but 2nd worst in GA/60. Unlike the Jets PK, they're doing a pretty good job of limiting chances, but they're just getting scored on a lot.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

And Booooooooooooooooooooo . :laugh:

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
It appears that Maurice has found the second coming of Mark Stuart in Sbisa.

No idea what is going through his head when he has him, Bietto on the PK over JoMo.

I swear, the number 5 on a Jets jersey is cursed. It should be quietly retired.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Genuine question. When do posters want Paul actually held accountable for results? There is a valid argument that the current defense should cut him some slack. Other seasons injuries and inexperience seem to have been the main excuse. So at what point does the responsibility fall on him?

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
You guys bitching about the terrible PK do realize Tanev now plays for Pitts right .

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
The Preds fancy stats are all on the right side of the ledger. Top 10 in just about everything. Their PK has been terrible though. Not Jets-terrible, but 2nd worst in GA/60. Unlike the Jets PK, they're doing a pretty good job of limiting chances, but they're just getting scored on a lot.
Almost as if the Preds are bad because their goalies suck. We should snap up Laviolette while we have the chance.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
JMO, but if Paul Maurice worked in any other city where the season ticket holders were not contractually obligated to purchase tickets years in advance.... he would not be the second longest tenured coach. He would have been fired already.

He would've been fired for bringing the team to the two highest point totals in franchise history over the previous two seasons?

I don't suggest that he's a fantastic coach but I think the "he should be fired because he's not playing my 5th/6th choice d man" stuff is crazy.

Everyone outside the city thinks he's performing miracles with the d-core as it is and HFJets thinks he should be fired.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He would've been fired for bringing the team to the two highest point totals in franchise history over the previous two seasons?

I don't suggest that he's a fantastic coach but I think the "he should be fired because he's not playing my 5th/6th choice d man" stuff is crazy.

Everyone outside the city thinks he's performing miracles with the d-core as it is and HFJets thinks he should be fired.

It would be great if the national media would actually care to do an actual comprehensive analysis of the teams performance instead of basing all their praise off of the standings.

The teams performance outside of the win total and goaltending had been pretty poor. Will does same analysts be signing his praise if our goaltending and shooting percentage normalize and we fall down the standings?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
It would be great if the national media would actually care to do an actual comprehensive analysis of the teams performance instead of basing all their praise off of the standings.

The teams performance outside of the win total and goaltending had been pretty poor. Will does same analysts be signing his praise if our goaltending and shooting percentage normalize and we fall down the standings?

We've just seen it with Laviolette. Top 10 in a few metrics but their goalies can't stop a beach ball and he's gone. The Jets are the reverse.

There are plenty of improvements that Maurice needs to make on this team, but to suggest he'd have been fired anywhere else is not paying attention to how the NHL owners and GMs have run their teams.

The analysts have already hedged that argument if the goaltending starts to falter even further - the d-core is garbage and can't sustain a winning record over a full season.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

He took a team that almost went to the Stanley Cup finals and then got knocked out of the playoffs in the 1st round the very next season. And I put a caveat in my previous post.. which is, a downward trend like this gets you fired in markets where the season tickets are renewed on a yearly basis and attendance can drop as a result of a poor season compared to a previous.

IE: Put Maurice in a market where filling seats is a chore / concern every season, and he wouldn't have started this season.

Maurice ( and Chevy ) have the benefit of being in a market where attendance is not reflective of the season by season results.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
We've just seen it with Laviolette. Top 10 in a few metrics but their goalies can't stop a beach ball and he's gone. The Jets are the reverse.

There are plenty of improvements that Maurice needs to make on this team, but to suggest he'd have been fired anywhere else is not paying attention to how the NHL owners and GMs have run their teams.

The analysts have already hedged that argument if the goaltending starts to falter even further - the d-core is garbage and can't sustain a winning record over a full season.

GMs need to use better indicators imo. Having said that end of last year is when I would have turned the page.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Genuine question. When do posters want Paul actually held accountable for results? There is a valid argument that the current defense should cut him some slack. Other seasons injuries and inexperience seem to have been the main excuse. So at what point does the responsibility fall on him?

He is responsible for having a team with one of the worst defensive cores in the league vying for a playoff spot at the mid way point in one of the toughest divisions in the league.

Anyone with an even a smidgen of hockey insight, would have looked at the makeup of our defense back in October, and stated that if we are even within 5 points of a wildcard spot in January, that would be an over-achievement.

So when you ask when do posters want Paul held accountable, we hold him accountable all the time, we just have realistic expectations based off the makeup of this team that we take in to consideration when assessing accountability.

That is better than pretending we didn't lose 5 of our 6 starting D from the previous year and acting like a top 3 spot in the league is the bar Maurice needs to achieve to be considered a success. That is just a self serving ignorance to the facts in order to serve an agenda.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
2017-18
upload_2020-1-7_15-34-55.png

2018-19
upload_2020-1-7_15-35-48.png

2019-20
upload_2020-1-7_15-36-32.png

Fire Maurice.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
He took a team that almost went to the Stanley Cup finals and then got knocked out of the playoffs in the 1st round the very next season. And I put a caveat in my previous post.. which is, a downward trend like this gets you fired in markets where the season tickets are renewed on a yearly basis and attendance can drop as a result of a poor season compared to a previous.

IE: Put Maurice in a market where filling seats is a chore / concern every season, and he wouldn't have started this season.

Maurice ( and Chevy ) have the benefit of being in a market where attendance is not reflective of the season by season results.

The Caps stuck with Trotz for years through countless first and second round exits. Johnson in Pittsburgh isn't in danger after losing to the Caps in round 2 and then getting swept last year in the first round. If Brind'Amour goes out in the first round this year, are the Canes dumping him because of a "downward trend"?

Your post also suggests that TNSE doesn't care about winning, just selling tickets. Noel was fired when tickets were getting snapped up in minutes after going on the market.

If the team tanks the rest of this year, combined with his contract status, they may move on. I don't think they will unless they have someone out there they would definitely want, and would be open to coming to Winnipeg. They won't move without a plan.

The Maurice discussion is loud on HF but very few outside of here are thinking that he needs to go ASAP.

Reactions: KingBogo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad