Confirmed with Link: Coaching staff: Steve Thomas out | Todd Richards hired | Rick Bowness extended

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Seems likea pretty good hiring. You guys happy with it or still want Oates after him?

Oates. Saw an Yzerman quote on Twitter that said Cooper will still be running the PP with some input from Richards. I like the Richards hire, I just wish Yzerman would take the PP out of Cooper's hands. He has proven he can't do it.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Oates. Saw an Yzerman quote on Twitter that said Cooper will still be running the PP with some input from Richards. I like the Richards hire, I just wish Yzerman would take the PP out of Cooper's hands. He has proven he can't do it.

Todd Richards becomes the hc by January and we win the cup next June

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
Todd Richards becomes the hc by January and we win the cup next June

I wasn't going to say it, because Im not necessarily on the fire cooper train but hiring a 400+ game Head coach as the Assistant kind of sets this situation up if need be.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I wasn't going to say it, because Im not necessarily on the fire cooper train but hiring a 400+ game Head coach as the Assistant kind of sets this situation up if need be.

It does if this how team blows up and yzerman is forced to make a change

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Cooper runs a good two-way and PK game but that's his limit and no, I don't mean his version of the trap.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

While that's very true, it could just be lip service. Coop, as a head coach, technically runs everything. But given that the Wings were trying to land Richards for PP help, and Yzerman stated he wanted to address the PP (while also stating he might not be very active in free agency), Richards looks like he'll function mainly as a PP guy, even if they won't come out and say that.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
While I was on the Oates train, I like this hire. Very strong coach to bring in. They just need to rip the PP from Cooper and give it to Richards at all costs. Coops PK is running great, but we all know that his PP is less than worthless.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
While I was on the Oates train, I like this hire. Very strong coach to bring in. They just need to rip the PP from Cooper and give it to Richards at all costs. Coops PK is running great, but we all know that his PP is less than worthless.

I'm not so sure Oates is interested in coaching anymore. He said something to that effect on HC@N a while back, something like, "My coaching days are over," which maybe was because he didn't believe anyone would hire him, but he seems pretty invested in this new work he does as a sort of player consultant.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
A big issue on the power play was losing the initial face off, so 20+ seconds burned off immediately.
A lot of teams seemed to be wiling to ice the puck as they knew they would probably get it back.

We haven't had a dependable face off, go to, guy since Captain #25.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
A big issue on the power play was losing the initial face off, so 20+ seconds burned off immediately.
A lot of teams seemed to be wiling to ice the puck as they knew they would probably get it back.

im gonna call BS here is the thing sure we are not great at faceoffs but we also to have as sucky a year well put it this way to be as bad as we were last season on power play giving them an OUT of faceoff's being anything other than a smidgen of a factor is being TOO KIND.

I get everyone wants to knock our face offs plain truth? WE are not the worst team in history of faceoffs. We seemed close to the worst team ever with OUR LINEUP lol at power play though lol

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Dang Todd Richards has coached 417 games in the nhl as a hc and cooper only 267 coached! I never knew Richards coached that long I forgot he coached the wild

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Zone entry seems to be the key thing. That, and it seems like we get very, very few second chance opportunities.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I wonder are these decisions coming from Y or has Coop any say in it?

i thought about this yesterday the drouin saga and all of a sudden cooper switches up in playoffs his entire repertoire so to speak .... now we hire a guy who has more experience than the head coach etc..

I would think maybe things are not as well in vinikville as we are lead to believe.

Will say using history of detroit jaques demers came in helped a lot of change than next guy brian murray i think for like 3 years? than they hired scotty and won the cups

I have expected similar experience if coop cant win one soon we will go to plan b if plan b fails we will hire the number one coach in league just my two cent belief lol

Cooper has been dogheadedness in ways the drouin situation never should have gotten to where it did among other decisions

so ya i got to wonder did stevie step in a bit?

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
i thought about this yesterday the drouin saga and all of a sudden cooper switches up in playoffs his entire repertoire so to speak .... now we hire a guy who has more experience than the head coach etc..

I would think maybe things are not as well in vinikville as we are lead to believe.

Will say using history of detroit jaques demers came in helped a lot of change than next guy brian murray i think for like 3 years? than they hired scotty and won the cups

I have expected similar experience if coop cant win one soon we will go to plan b if plan b fails we will hire the number one coach in league just my two cent belief lol

Cooper has been dogheadedness in ways the drouin situation never should have gotten to where it did among other decisions

it is odd I'm still unsure how drouin feels about cooper right now. I know yzerman wants power play improvement for sure next year. Like you said right now that top
Hc is not available on the market right now.

ArmaHedman

Nov 30, 2006
Sarasota, FL

I agree but one thing that is a plus for Coop is that he DID change how he played Drouin etc. The reason Boucher got let go was not changing after the Stevie chat.

However you have to think that this year Stevie had no real choice to hire from within, if he let Coop go he would have had to bring in someone from the outside. Now he has someone who will know the players and if Coop gets let go next season there will be a seamless transition over to Richards.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Update: Rick Bowness linked to New York Rangers assistant coach position

Hum... This might explain the Todd Richards hire! Rick bowness up for the ducks hc job

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Hum... This might explain the Todd Richards hire! Rick bowness up for the ducks hc job

There's a part of me that hopes he gets it. I remember when we signed him, he said his ultimate goal was to be a HC again someday. Good luck to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad